Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Phoenix Sim?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SIMON CRAGG24/10/2018 19:02:05
425 forum posts
11 photos

Looks like the sim. is discontinued. Shame, as it was a good bit of kit!.

David Gilder24/10/2018 19:29:00
1854 forum posts
656 photos

Wow surprise

Didn't expect that!

Wonder if adverts will now include the word "rare"!!

At least you can still download v5.5 however without the lead to connect to Tx, its no good!

SIMON CRAGG24/10/2018 21:01:56
425 forum posts
11 photos

Not 100% sure its all over, but web site says "Discontinued".

Denis Watkins24/10/2018 21:16:58
3873 forum posts
58 photos

Even with an older disk and dongle lead, you can still upgrade, online to version 5.5

SIMON CRAGG25/10/2018 02:50:47
425 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 24/10/2018 21:16:58:

Even with an older disk and dongle lead, you can still upgrade, online to version 5.5

Can you post the link you are using please? I have tried several times and all I get is "erm something is wrong"!

Denis Watkins25/10/2018 07:06:20
3873 forum posts
58 photos

HURRY Boys, it is going away, it is Discontinued, but download still available

**LINK**

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/10/2018 07:08:26

SIMON CRAGG25/10/2018 14:36:16
425 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 25/10/2018 07:06:20:

HURRY Boys, it is going away, it is Discontinued, but download still available

**LINK**

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/10/2018 07:08:26

Thanks Denis, updated. Makes me wonder a: what happened to them b: what sim we will use next!

Dave Hess25/10/2018 15:11:25
303 forum posts
18 photos

If you want a nice flight simulator for less than £10, search Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, Banggodd or whatever your favourite online store is for "22 in 1 USB Flight Simulator". I don't think you'll be disappointed. It works very well. It uses your normal transmitter as long as you have a trainer port.

Dave Hess25/10/2018 15:11:27
303 forum posts
18 photos

Delete duplicate

Edited By Dave Hess on 25/10/2018 15:11:57

Geoff Sleath25/10/2018 15:37:49
3355 forum posts
272 photos
Posted by Dave Hess on 25/10/2018 15:11:25:

If you want a nice flight simulator for less than £10, search Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, Banggodd or whatever your favourite online store is for "22 in 1 USB Flight Simulator". I don't think you'll be disappointed. It works very well. It uses your normal transmitter as long as you have a trainer port.

I guess cables like that are the reason Phoenix has been discontinued. They effectively allow theft of the software by pirating the dongle h/w.

Geoff

Nigel R25/10/2018 16:30:39
3042 forum posts
475 photos

On the cards since the Horizon thing happened, I guess.

Is RealFlight still around?

Jon Robb25/10/2018 17:18:10
34 forum posts
2 photos

Yes Realflight is still around, they are on version 8 now which I have been using and find it very useful for days when the weather is particularly bad. It may seem expensive, however if it prevents the crash of a plane in the early stages of learning to fly or even practicing aerobatics then I think it’s worth while.

Mark Howard 125/10/2018 18:09:08
23 forum posts

Phoenix seems to be basically dead now although I still use V5.5. I also use Realflight 8 which seems to be still alive and kicking. I like both of them for planes but I have been playing with Aerofly RC7 recently which never seems to get much of a mention. Like RF8 it is available on a disk or on the Steam platform. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to be more popular as I'm finding it pretty good with a nice selection of planes and good graphics and physics.

I also fly helicopters and use AccuRC for these as the afforementioned sims don't have the quality of physics that AccuRC offers (it's currently not good for planes though).

If you are in the market for a new sim, I'd definately look at Aerofly as a possible alternative to Phoenix or Realflight.

John Privett26/10/2018 01:13:13
5959 forum posts
236 photos

Whether it works or not is not really the point. It is basically piracy/theft. You are buying a device that allows you to run software without having to pay anything to the software producers.

One report I saw recently claims that sales of Phoenix dropped by 97% in a year, largely due to these. Is it any surprise that Phoenix is no longer sold?

Now you could argue that their licencing model (pay for the dongle, rather than the software) was naive and left them open to attack when the dongle was cloned by the Chinese. But we'll never now know what Phoenix v.6 was going to offer...

Dave Hess26/10/2018 11:32:18
303 forum posts
18 photos

Yes, of course if you have a conscience, you can pay £180, knowing that your donation is going to good causes and might help in the development of new products in the future, or if you don't, you can buy the Chinese Knockoff, which works exactly the same for £7 from Amazon.

From my point of view, I paid a lot of money for RealFlight 2 with the special controller. For whatever reason, RF couldn't be bothered to offer upgrades or support for it, so now, even though the controller looks the same as the present one, it's only compatible with version 2. RF2 won't run on modern PCs. I think it expired with Windows XP/ME. So my donation only went to support the development of the product for anybody but me. So, if you have a later version, you can thank me for it.

I wrote to RF to ask if they could offer any solution or a deal on an upgraded version. I got a reply saying that my version was not compatible with the present ones, and that my only option was to pay for a new version.

And, no, it's not theft. You pay £7 for a dongle and some software. The fact that the code in the software might be very similar to other products isn't anything to do with you. Somebody else maybe stole the secrets. Maybe the guy that had the rights to the original code defected. Those sort of things go on with every product. Do you only buy real Coke Cola rather than Tesco's brand? Do you shop in Aldi, where half the products are knock-offs of other brands?

It's a shame that things work out like that, but it's what happens in real life. You guys on this forum are not going to change anything by spending £180 instead of £7 other than reducing your bank balances.

Anyway, when you pay your £180, you'll have a stronger case to make sure St Peter stamps your ticket when you reach the pearly gates, so good luck if that's what you want to do.

I'm not here to judge nor to tell you what to do. I simply explain the options. You can pay a lot or not very much for what's essentially the same thing. Your choice. In fact, I should mention that the £7 knock-off has substantially more features than the expensive one, but that's another thing.

As far as I'm concerned, we should be helping each other to enjoy flying, not preaching the finer points of morality.

Edited By Dave Hess on 26/10/2018 11:34:11

Geoff Sleath26/10/2018 12:20:28
3355 forum posts
272 photos
Posted by John Privett on 26/10/2018 01:13:13:

Whether it works or not is not really the point. It is basically piracy/theft. You are buying a device that allows you to run software without having to pay anything to the software producers.

One report I saw recently claims that sales of Phoenix dropped by 97% in a year, largely due to these. Is it any surprise that Phoenix is no longer sold?

Now you could argue that their licencing model (pay for the dongle, rather than the software) was naive and left them open to attack when the dongle was cloned by the Chinese. But we'll never now know what Phoenix v.6 was going to offer...

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Geoff

nigel newby27/10/2018 00:35:31
161 forum posts
40 photos

Hi all, what a great discussion. I am by the way the Devils advocate. At times the software people get what they deserve. If when I buy a software product, I expect support for as long as I use it. That is why I paid for it. Yet we have seen loads of times. Sorry no further support. Windows XP etc. The list could go on forever.

I have just bought a second hand copy with the controller, all in a box for the Ikarus easy flight 3. But I cannot register it, as they seem not to support it any longer.

So now we have the question, do I buy their new product or get a Chinese copy, and save a fortune.

I would love to buy the original, but they seem not to give a monkeys about myself or the thousands of others that buy their product's.

In this day and age it is all about money. The only way to be better than the opposition is in a great aftersales service. That's why I try to buy from a local model shop and not the internet, because if it goes wrong I can take it straight back, and their after sales service is great.

Nigel

SIMON CRAGG27/10/2018 03:22:58
425 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by nigel newby on 27/10/2018 00:35:31:

Hi all, what a great discussion. I am by the way the Devils advocate. At times the software people get what they deserve. If when I buy a software product, I expect support for as long as I use it. That is why I paid for it. Yet we have seen loads of times. Sorry no further support. Windows XP etc. The list could go on forever.

I have just bought a second hand copy with the controller, all in a box for the Ikarus easy flight 3. But I cannot register it, as they seem not to support it any longer.

So now we have the question, do I buy their new product or get a Chinese copy, and save a fortune.

I would love to buy the original, but they seem not to give a monkeys about myself or the thousands of others that buy their product's.

In this day and age it is all about money. The only way to be better than the opposition is in a great aftersales service. That's why I try to buy from a local model shop and not the internet, because if it goes wrong I can take it straight back, and their after sales service is great.

Nigel

As all our local model shops have closed, thats one option out of the window. I have downloaded 5.5 which is ok but glitchy and not great to use. Just sent my £6.58 to E.bay.......be interesting to see how well it works.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us