Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull FW 190

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Freeman 325/10/2018 05:52:29
142 forum posts
156 photos

A recent sinus infection resulted my wife placing a no dust ban in the workshop. As I spend a large amount of time in the workshop building this makes life hard for me. I would also not be able to continue working on the rebuild of a large World Models Cub that I was busy with as it needs a whole lot of sanding and recover in nylon and dope.

A local hobby shop helped by having a Summer special on Kits with great discounts and I decided to test the credit card and bought a Seagull FW190 that I would use to improve my detailing on film and also more importantly practice clear coating as this is a art especially when using a matt clear coat.

I have built a few Seagull kits this year and am impressed by the build quality but have found that often need a few changes to improve scale appearance and flying characteristics.

I am not a scale competitor but like a realistic aircraft, this is my Mick Reeves 1/6 Spitfire that I built.spittiebanking (003).jpg

Chris Freeman 325/10/2018 06:05:41
142 forum posts
156 photos

fw190 3.jpgfw190 2.jpgThe FW kit showed a very well build airframe that was covered well but in an unusual colour scheme that needed some help! Engine cooling would be a problem as the fuselage did not have the scale outlets behind the cowl. The supplied retracts would also be a problem as the units are 90 degree retracts and a wedge was built into the wing to have the inward canter of the real 190 but this results in the retract being at an angle in the wing so the supplied wheel doors would not fit. The wheel was also very small and the oleo short giving a very strange look on the ground. I have a spare set of ESM/ YT FW 190 retracts that I will be using on the model so I will have to change a few things to get them to fit.

I made cardfw190 1.jpgboard templates and used them along with ink pens so that I could draw some detail onto the airframe. All very smoke and mirror stuff, but I think it will add a lot of appeal to the finished product.

Jon - Laser Engines25/10/2018 08:38:17
4328 forum posts
159 photos

I always seek to enhance any artf's i build. I just cant build them totally stock, i have to alter something!

Chris Freeman 331/10/2018 05:09:30
142 forum posts
156 photos

fw 190 9.jpgI decided to try and add some colour to the upper surface of the wings as the supplied scheme was not what I wanted. You have to wonder why a lighter grey was not used when the original covering was done as Seagull have stock as it is used on the mosquito. I also then did a little work on the fuselage to break the hard lines between the colours and am happy with the resultfw 190 10.jpg.

Chris Freeman 331/10/2018 05:13:37
142 forum posts
156 photos

fw 190 8.jpgfw 190 11.jpgThe cooling duct has been added to the fuselage, will make a huge difference to the amount of air passing through the cowl. I wonder why it was not added when the fuselage was made as round cowls are problematic with engine cooling as the exit size must be bigger than the inlet.fw 190 7.jpg

Cuban831/10/2018 07:38:45
2299 forum posts
6 photos
Having a 'no dust' decree imposed is disastrous for a builder. How about constructing a simple extraction system? nothing too elaborate, but good enough to take the worst away. I use an old hoover and cardboard box - sounds a bit Heath Robinson, but it works. Use it with a decent mask. Do you use Permagrits? They don't produce anywhere near the levels of dust as abrasive paper. Hope you find a solution.
Chris Freeman 331/10/2018 08:50:28
142 forum posts
156 photos

The no dust decree Will be lifted as soon as the sinus infection clears. Staying in South Africa has advantages and disadvantages but Spring is traditionally a tough time of year with lots of dust and pollen which is a bad combination. We have not had very little rain in 5 months but are due for good rain in the next week. I normally do all my sanding and dope work outside as we have a fair size garden that allows for a gazebo and table to be placed on the grass under a tree. Summer temperatures are around 30 degrees mean it is easy to work outside.

Permagrit tools are great but not freely available in this country, I use normal sandpaper for most of the sanding.

Chris Freeman 319/11/2018 12:49:25
142 forum posts
156 photos

Progressing slowly, we have had a heat wave with temperatures reaching 36 c so more effort needed to complete anything. Just need to install a throttle servo and push rod , tank and the final hook up of controls. I did add some bits to the cockpit area to fill the empty space. Starting to look like a 190 now.fw 190 16.jpg

john stones 119/11/2018 13:43:41
10145 forum posts
1475 photos

Like it. face 1

Chris Freeman 321/01/2019 11:11:34
142 forum posts
156 photos

I have now had 4 flights with the FW 190 and am happy with the overall performance of this aircraft. The amount of lead required to balance is more than expected so the aircraft is not light. My son did the initial test flight and found that down elevator was needed and you must allow speed to build before take off with a flat climb out as it will pull left under power at slow speed. The elevator is not as precise as I would have expected and takes a little time to get used too, almost feels tail heavy without the trimming issue.

Landings are fine and the approach with flaps is steady with no elevator compensation required. My cg is at 145mm. I want to add a dummy motor as the ST 3000 is running a little hotter than I would like but has not given any issues. It starts first flick and has not had the needle valve touched in 3 outings. I love the look of this airfw2.jpgcraft in the air but do not have any decent flying pictures.

fw3.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us