Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

VQ ARTFs at Hobbyking?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Pearce 427/10/2018 09:48:54
299 forum posts
37 photos

In this months RCME magazine Hobbyplastic have a large advert for VQ ARTFs. These look very interesting and well priced although it's not easy a find a recent review.

This morning I got an email from HK with their latest offers containing two ARTFs, a Tiger Moth and Siai Marchetti 260. Judging from the wingspan and colour schemes these appear to be VQ products at lower prices.

Worth a purchase I wonder?

Paul Marsh27/10/2018 12:34:35
3473 forum posts
961 photos

Ive got the SBD Dauntless, which flies very well and P-61 Black Widow. Also have the P-39 Airacobra which needs to fly next.

Only problem is the covering is brittle - hence cheap, although looks great when new, but gets damaged easily, but there are sheets of spare covering to repair small holes.

p-39airacobravq (5).jpg

sbd dauntless (6).jpg

cymaz27/10/2018 13:05:21
8195 forum posts
1134 photos

I had a VQ Hornet trainer many years ago. Super flying aircraft and tough as hell.

Don Fry27/10/2018 13:07:40
3119 forum posts
38 photos

That cheap covering is a pain. I use ARTF airframes mostly in the 50 2 stroke size, as hacks. I tend to use aluminium tape to repair small holes. Quick. It's astonishing how fast the thing changes colour.

Nightmare is it's scalish, and you care what it looks like.

Jon - Laser Engines27/10/2018 15:07:33
4319 forum posts
159 photos

In my experience all VQ models fly well but they are let down by the covering and the general build quality. If you dont mind spending a little while with the glue, and perhaps even an hour with some glass cloth to beef up the extremely fragile ABS parts then you will end up with a really nice model

Colin Leighfield27/10/2018 17:00:46
5670 forum posts
2314 photos

I’ve got the VQ Macchi 205 Velcro. in fact it is the second because the first got wrecked through no fault of its own! Excellent flyer on APS70fs and in my experience, well made and strong. The mechanical retracts are a bit fiddly to set up but once done work well. Not exact scale but looks the part and very good value for money. I don’t have any big issues with the covering. Not perfect but I can certainly live with it and the printed detail is good.

David Pearce 428/10/2018 08:45:08
299 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks for all your responses. There's several models in their range that appeal to me. Also, if I'm right and HK are selling some of them then they look good value for money.

Thanks again

KiwiKid28/10/2018 12:30:32
442 forum posts
444 photos

I have had a couple of VQ models and they have flown very well. As alluded to, the sticky backed vinyl used as covering has issues and is also prone to buckling when left in the sun. This can get so bad as to effect flight performance. The covering is OK where it is applied to solid surfaces, but puckers up where it is over larger open surfaces, between wing ribs etc. You can see it happening here on the lightening holes on the vertical stab of that HK Tigger.

hk tigger.jpg

The only real fix is to replace the covering over the open surfaces. I did this on my Motor Spatz (all the white covering is new) and she is flying great.

recovered.jpg

Andy Meade29/10/2018 09:54:11
2488 forum posts
639 photos

Another vote for the SBD - goes very well as PSS. The dive brake assembly is a bit flimsy, but can be beefed up.

42931172250_228a19400d_o.jpg

Glenn Ryan02/11/2018 02:13:17
45 forum posts
1 photos

Here's my VQ 1/4 Scale Super Cub. It has been recovered in Sig Koverall and painted to match ZK-BOY from New Zealand (Sorry no rego or wing struts on in these pics). I added rib and fuse stitching plus the real plane has vortex generators and a hopper in the fuse so I added those too.

This is one of my most favourite planes to fly in my fleet. Just brilliant teeth 2Super Cub

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us