Forum sponsored by CML

Adding Oil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Dyke27/10/2018 21:42:56
209 forum posts
10 photos

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the post. I am very much okay with the mechanics of engines but very weak on fuel preparations. I know all about castor varnish from all my other engines. I am only going by manufacturers recommendations which I thought was a good place to start. Your experience with purely synthetics is valuable and might be a consideration for me in the future. Thank you for that.

Jon - Laser Engines27/10/2018 23:10:51
4765 forum posts
179 photos

im with Peter on this one. synthetic oils are far better than they were and frankly there is no advantage to running castor. The bekra fuel is fine, model technics laser 5 and techpower 5 would also be good choices.

Andrew Ray28/10/2018 06:51:07
700 forum posts
19 photos

Roger, don’t forger the manufacture’s recommendation for oil is 45 years out of date.

brokenenglish28/10/2018 07:45:18
451 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Andrew Ray on 28/10/2018 06:51:07:

Roger, don’t forger the manufacture’s recommendation for oil is 45 years out of date.

I disagree, it's the engine technology that's changed.

I run a lot of old engines, and they really do need the oil proportions specified at the time.

Denis Watkins28/10/2018 07:57:02
3799 forum posts
50 photos
Posted by brokenenglish on 28/10/2018 07:45:18:
Posted by Andrew Ray on 28/10/2018 06:51:07:

I disagree, it's the engine technology that's changed.

I run a lot of old engines, and they really do need the oil proportions specified at the time.

Run the % oil if pushed to do so

But don't put Castor in the mix

Synthetic oil has evolved to suit our needs,

Roger Dyke28/10/2018 08:06:19
209 forum posts
10 photos

My goodness. I do seem to have opened a can of worms here. I'd no idea that I would receive so many replies (which is good) from what I thought was a simple question. It is what the forum is about though, so I thank you all for your experiences and your valuable information.

Peter Christy28/10/2018 08:09:37
1517 forum posts

Castor oil was used in rotary engines during WW1. Being a vegetable oil, it hasn't changed since! When synthetics first appeared, they were problematic, but modern synthetics - especially blends of synthetics - do a much better job.

The oil ratios suggested in the instructions of older engines generally assumed that castor would be used.

Jon's point about much lower ratios is well made with regard to modern engines, made on precision CNC machinery, but older engines with lapped pistons will probably benefit from a slightly higher oil ratio to improve the compression seal. However, anything beyond about 15% unnecessary.

Any of the modern fuels suggested above should contain more than enough oil for any engine.

--

Pete

Roger Dyke28/10/2018 09:16:14
209 forum posts
10 photos

Pete,

Thanks for your posting which I find interesting.

From what I've read, and from what I'm reading from the posts, the engines designed years ago were made from different materials to what they are currently and require different sorts of lubricants to keep them healthy. There seems to be lots of strong opinions out there that seem to contradict each other so it's difficult to decipher which way the pendulum swings. I think there is probably a lot of truth in both sides of the argument for different reasons. But I think that I have enough information now to know what I want to do.

Roger

brokenenglish28/10/2018 11:22:43
451 forum posts
29 photos

Much of this is recent ideas and practice.

To Pete, I would just say that, if you try flying an Ohlsson 60 on 15% oil, you won't get to the end of the first tankful... and that's just one example...

Edited By brokenenglish on 28/10/2018 11:23:24

Engine Doctor28/10/2018 11:53:14
2267 forum posts
25 photos

hello Roger Why mess about with adding oil . A gallon of fresh castor based fuel with 20%castor wont cost a lot then you know what your running.

Re opening a can of worm smiley ask a hundred flyers and you'll get a hundred different answers . Unfortunately a lot of them will advise going electric ! You Enya was made in a period when design and materials were changing and Enya were slower to adapt as there engines were so good with iron technology .

I have run a old Enya 25 with old tech iron piston . I ran that on Southern Model Craft 17% synthetic fuel with 10% nitro and it was thrashed a bit . It ran beautifully and lasted years . Sold it in a fun-fighter and it was still in excellent condition. Modern synthetics are so much better than the early products and are a lot cleaner to use as they don't bake to a varnish

Really old engines do need a lot of oil and Castor is best for those engines as the clearances were looser and materials were not as advanced.

Roger Dyke28/10/2018 12:38:36
209 forum posts
10 photos

I know that a gallon of castor based fuel would not cost me a lot and had considered it. But I don't really want to throw the 4 litres I have away if it's perfectly useable. I'm not at all tight or penny-pinching, but I just thought that with a little more oil it would be good to go. Thanks for you posting.

Peter Christy28/10/2018 13:48:49
1517 forum posts
Posted by brokenenglish on 28/10/2018 11:22:43:

Much of this is recent ideas and practice.

To Pete, I would just say that, if you try flying an Ohlsson 60 on 15% oil, you won't get to the end of the first tankful... and that's just one example...

Edited By brokenenglish on 28/10/2018 11:23:24

An Ohlsson 60 is before even my time! wink

Roger had already mentioned an Enya that sounds either late 60s or early 70s, so my answer was tailored to that.

Back in the late 60s / early 70s, I belonged to a Kart club. We had 4 karts, each shared between three drivers, The engines were highly tuned Villiers 9E4s of 200cc capacity (and yes, they were FAST!). The other teams all ran on castor oil (Castrol R IIRC). We ran on a molybdenum disulphide based oil. OK, not proper synthetic, but at least a mineral oil. We were the only team that regularly got through a season without having an engine seize or a piston needing replacement. Indeed, once we got through two seasons on the same piston! None of the castor based teams came anywhere near in terms of longevity!

--

Pete

ASH.28/10/2018 14:04:47
298 forum posts

Roger, you're in a dilemma now.. You've committed to the Castor and now you hear all these scare stories. Even I'm buying into it!
Your engine will be fine no matter what lubes it. It is a 2 stroke after all.
Like you, I hate wastage.
Roger Dyke28/10/2018 14:22:23
209 forum posts
10 photos

No problem. I now know what I want to do. Thanks to you all.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us