Forum sponsored by CML

Redshift F3F

A lightening fast version of the Stormbird

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Garsden19/02/2019 21:46:15
1607 forum posts
1187 photos

Finally got the Redshift sorted today. The last few flights had produced an over sensitive elevator which didn't seem to centre properly, which I thought was down to stiff carbon rods, but that was not it.

I detached the tailplanes and realised that the incidence pins had been pushed back into the tail plane - it uses a central long carbon rod and 2 outer shorter pins. They arrive already in the tail planes.

I realised that they had not been glued in place and were being pushed back into the tailplanes.

I thus removed them and glued them in place and the flight was transformed.

What had been happening was that when I moved the elevators it was moving the position of the whole tailplane!

Still it flies like a dream now.

Result!

Callsign Tarnish20/02/2019 18:09:22
81 forum posts
1 photos

More problems Peter? The price of this kit really is undefendable with so many factory created defects. I hope you don't find any more...

Peter Garsden21/02/2019 19:50:07
1607 forum posts
1187 photos

The problems I had with this kit are really very minor. The main points are:-

1. The quality of manufacture is superb.
  2. The design is exceptional.
  3. It wins F3F leagues because it is very fast.
  4. The design and colourway is great.
  5. The price is much less than other F3F planes like the Shinto.
  6. It justs gets faster the more ballast you put into it.
  7. I can land it safely each time.

I now enjoy flying it and it is a different plane to my other F3F model, which shall remain nameless.

I agree that there are some faults with the tailplane but they were both easily correctable and very trivial

Edited By Peter Garsden on 21/02/2019 19:59:43

SR 7121/02/2019 20:18:53
288 forum posts
62 photos

But could the tailplane faults have caused the total lose of the model

How would that have stood with the manufacturer

Peter Garsden21/02/2019 20:50:48
1607 forum posts
1187 photos

As we lawyers say politely, I hear what you say.

Callsign Tarnish21/02/2019 21:24:47
81 forum posts
1 photos

Point of order Peter, the faults were not minor, they were numerous and several of them could have caused the loss of the model. How many people didn't spot them like you did ended up with hill confetti?

"1. The quality of manufacture is superb."

With respect Peter the manufacturing flaws have been laid bare for all to see in this thread, why such a resistance to acknowledge the seriousness of them? Priority should be given to structural integrity not a pretty, shiny, pattern.

Andy Brassic21/02/2019 21:51:12
4 forum posts

Pete , what F3F leagues has the Redshift won ........or even races .......?

James Hammond 422/02/2019 02:27:31
7 forum posts

Hi Lads, Normally I don't get into this type of witch hunt because I really cannot understand why people would want to waste their time on such things. I don't know about the rest of you but I fly my toys to have FUN and not to make unqualified comments about other people's choices.

But anyway, lets take a look:

Manufacture: YES Peter did have some problems with his Redshift. Its was one of the first to be produced and one of the first batch to leave the factory. Honestly I thank hi for being so brave as to illustrate the problems he had and to say how he fixed them. It was big help to me at least.

I listen to people like Peter and I take action to cure the problem and to make sure they never happen again. Because of this simple policy I fin that I really don't have occasion to listen that often at all.

Design: This is NOT a "me too" - I do this for a living and on projects far more advanced than these model planes. The time has come for F3f to go forward, to make progress and for different designs to emerge. I'm not saying that the design is the "be all and end all" - but it might be one step forward.

Flying: That much is simple - its fast, its easy to fly and its easy to land. it will fly as fast as the conditions and the skill of the pilot will allow.

Competition: Redshift has not been flown in many competitions let alone Leagues. It's a new model on the competition scene. But it does show promise and did the get the fastest time at one of the Eurotour events in the face of some stiff European/UK opposition. In subsequent outings it has not finished at the bottom of the list either. Hopefully the development programme will lead to more improvements.

General: As I have said, I listen to you guys. I constantly try to improve what I offer, not only in model performance but also I what you get for your hard earned cash. Things like the single carbon wings that are standard on ALL of my models, and and the included wiring harness that is standard this year - also I hope to include wing bags etc form mid year too.

Cost: I try to keep costs down and charge what I think are realistic prices for my models. As you well know there are many who don't.

So there we go.

Thanks again to Peter for making is findings public.

James Hammond.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us