john stones 129/10/2018 16:40:53
11688 forum posts
1517 photos

Why ?

Does my head in, warm weathers gone and now it's dark earlier, stop it. sadmoon

Martyn K29/10/2018 16:43:23
5098 forum posts
3693 photos

I have never understood why clocks go back 2 months before the shortest date but far more frustratingly, go forward 3 months after the shortest day.

Its a mystery only understood by bureaucrats

Edited By Martyn K on 29/10/2018 16:44:09

Geoff S29/10/2018 16:54:44
3818 forum posts
49 photos

Must admit I quite liked another hour in the morning for the temperature to rise above freezing when I was cycling the 13 miles to work starting at 06.30 but now I'm retired and can laze in bed in the morning I hate it! From choice, I've always been a late to bed late to rise individual. It's genetic, I think. My Dad always said he was never in bed twice the same day but then, he was at work as soon as he got out of bed and downstairs.

Geoff

Peter Christy29/10/2018 16:55:47
1903 forum posts

Einstein: "Time is relative."

Douglas Adams: "Time is an illusion, lunch-time doubly so!"

wink

--

Pete

Martin Harris29/10/2018 17:32:19
9534 forum posts
258 photos

I've never got my head round how the small number of Scottish farmers who were the group reputed to be responsible for the abandonment of the experiment in the 70s couldn't have started work when it got light and stopped when it got dark, regardless of what their watches showed.

ROSPA are strongly against the darker evenings as many more accidents occur after the clocks go back.

Let's petition our MPs for the re-introduction of Double British Summer Time!

Edit - maybe we should ask for Treble British Summer Time and accept Double as a compromise so that everyone can feel they've won something...

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/10/2018 17:33:47

john stones 129/10/2018 18:22:49
11688 forum posts
1517 photos

Right then I've taken unilateral action, put my clocks to the correct time JST, enoughs enoughs. angry

If anybody wants me, I'll be altering the TV times, don't want the wife confused. wink

Don Fry29/10/2018 18:47:28
4557 forum posts
54 photos

As a reality check, can you see Johnson, Gove, Fox, Smith, Farage or any other of the the gang allowing anything from Europe to happen.

It's only dead on the roads. Not important.

What intrigues me is what the Scots will say. I've always thought this has been a stick to use, to demonstrate independent thought, but they seem to like Europe.

My dogs have been driving me to distraction.

Mods, if this is judged a political statement, remove please. I consider it a cynical observation.

J D 829/10/2018 18:57:10
1615 forum posts
87 photos

It messes me up for a couple of weeks, how about putting it halfway and leave it there?

Don Fry29/10/2018 19:11:35
4557 forum posts
54 photos

And quoted from Martin Harris, "Let's petition our MPs for the re-introduction of Double British Summer Time!"

or better known a CET, Central European Time

john stones 129/10/2018 19:26:14
11688 forum posts
1517 photos

Why are your dogs driving you to distraction ? and why would it be considered a political statement ? cat

Geoff S29/10/2018 19:58:01
3818 forum posts
49 photos

I was surprised a few years ago when we were cycling along the Spanish coast near Benidorm (that's on the eastern side of the Iberian Peninsula) and came across a marina called the Meridian Marina. That's right it was just about on 0 degrees longitude like Greenwich. Most of Spain is actually to the west of the UK and happily manages on BST in the winter and double BST in the summer. Portugal, even further west, uses the same time zones as we do.

When we were cycling in Nepal I had no idea what the time was because they didn't use a round number for the time difference with India - just to be difficult, I think . It didn't matter because nothing ever seemed to be time constrained. It might be different now because it was a monarchy when we there in 1989.

Geoff

Don Fry29/10/2018 21:27:58
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Dogs don't wear watches. I am an hour late. The only salvation, on a previous generation, one used to nip yer backside, if the lack of progress displeased him.

But you are right. Not politics, just jet lagged. I'm posh nowadays, used to be called shiftwork.

2W29/10/2018 21:36:28
83 forum posts
18 photos

I must declare an interest: Grandad wrote pamphlets on the subject of Daylight Saving and petitioned parliament to introduce Daylight Saving before WW1; one of his supporters was Winston Churchill. He was an earlier riser, and would go out riding in the early mornings in Petts Wood when people were still in bed in the summer and felt that the mornings were being wasted at the expense of the evenings in summer, when people could enjoy more daylight for other leisure activities. Sadly he died in 1915, and did not live long enough to see Summer Time introduced as a measure to save energy for lighting in the evenings. This was a measure already introduced in Germany to save energy the year before, and was originally proposed many years earlier by Benjamín Franklin.

During the experiment with Double Summer Time in the late '60's, as a student of engineering at Edinburgh University, I well remember watching the sun rise before the end of the 9AM first lecture. Like all good students, we complained bitterly about getting up before the sun! If I remember correctly, the experiment was not repeated because the number of road accidents increased significantly, particularly involving children in the north of the UK. Double Summer time? No thanks!

William

Martin Harris29/10/2018 23:51:21
9534 forum posts
258 photos
Posted by 2W on 29/10/2018 21:36:28:

During the experiment with Double Summer Time in the late '60's, as a student of engineering at Edinburgh University, I well remember watching the sun rise before the end of the 9AM first lecture. Like all good students, we complained bitterly about getting up before the sun! If I remember correctly, the experiment was not repeated because the number of road accidents increased significantly, particularly involving children in the north of the UK. Double Summer time? No thanks!

William

Not a view shared by RoSPA. Perhaps there was some selective reporting of the small increase in morning accidents without mention of the much larger reduction in afternoon/evening casualties during the experimental period.

Quote from RoSPA:

The most recent research estimates that adopting Single/Double Summer Time would have the net effect of saving around 80 lives and 212 serious injuries a year.ii Although this estimate is now quite old, it did confirm earlier research which showed that the 1968/71 experiment, when British Standard Time (GMT + 1) was employed all year round (the clocks were advanced in March 1968 and not put back until October 1971) saved around 2,500 deaths and serious injuries each year of the trial period.iii

In 2009, the Department for Transport’s consultation paper, “A Safer Way: Making Britain’s Roads the Safest in the World”iv, confirmed that moving to lighter evenings would prevent about 80 deaths on the road a year. There would be a one-off cost of about £5million to publicise the change but then benefits of around £138million per year, as well as energy savings, business benefits and more opportunities for sport and leisure.

The full version (.pdf) is here:

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/10/2018 00:02:29

Former Member30/10/2018 01:00:15
3573 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

J D 830/10/2018 08:31:58
1615 forum posts
87 photos

I also milked cows for 32 years, being an hour or so late for milking was not to bad but I was once Three hours late comming back from a model show [ traffic problem] and boy did those cows show their displeasure. Got a right good kicking and double the amount of cow poo just about everywhere.

I liked that spell of no clock change.

Peter Christy30/10/2018 09:14:16
1903 forum posts
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 29/10/2018 19:58:01:

I was surprised a few years ago when we were cycling along the Spanish coast near Benidorm (that's on the eastern side of the Iberian Peninsula) and came across a marina called the Meridian Marina. That's right it was just about on 0 degrees longitude like Greenwich. Most of Spain is actually to the west of the UK and happily manages on BST in the winter and double BST in the summer. Portugal, even further west, uses the same time zones as we do.

But Geoff, they are much further SOUTH than we are, and don't suffer such extreme variations in the hours of daylight as we do.

Try going up to Aberdeen and suggesting we stay on summer time all the year round and you'll get a very - er - frosty reception!

wink

I can't understand why everyone is so wedded to the clock. If anything, we should stay on GMT all the year round. After all, noon is supposed to be when the sun is directly overhead! It should then be up to individuals and businesses when the working day starts and ends!

End the tyranny of the clock, says I! Throw of your shackles and restore freedom of choice!

--

Pete

The Wright Stuff30/10/2018 09:27:02
1394 forum posts
227 photos
Posted by Martyn K on 29/10/2018 16:43:23:

I have never understood why clocks go back 2 months before the shortest date but far more frustratingly, go forward 3 months after the shortest day.

Its a mystery only understood by bureaucrats

It's synchronised to the rest of the EU, so that all of Europe changes clocks at the same time. the US changes their clocks at different times. For this week only, we are only 4 hours ahead of New York and not the usual 5.

That just redirects the question of course. The only answer I have ever heard (on the radio) is that the lack of symmetry takes into account weather conditions as well as daylight hours. March is much colder than September in Europe, so the onset of BST is delayed relative to the October GMT onset because of the cold and frosty mornings in March. That extra hour can make a lot of difference to whether or not you need to scrape the car to get to work at that time of year...

Cuban830/10/2018 10:07:07
3051 forum posts
1 photos
I wonder how many serious injuries will be prevented by people not having to climb on rickety step ladders or chairs, to reach their wall clocks if and when the daft clock changing is stopped. I narrowly avoided a serious injury when trying to reach our awkwardly positioned kitchen clock a few years ago. Warning heeded, and replaced all our time pieces with radio controlled ones.
The Wright Stuff30/10/2018 10:10:26
1394 forum posts
227 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 30/10/2018 10:07:07:
Warning heeded, and replaced all our time pieces with radio controlled ones.

Time flies!

wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!