Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Slowing down a Boomerang II trainer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Frank Skilbeck02/11/2018 14:28:51
4179 forum posts
98 photos

Nifty I think you'll find the transmitter tray very useful, I fly with a tray radio and have been known to put my left hand in a pocket when thermaling a glider. I use the MPX crossover harness (other brands are available) and while I get some ribbing about selling ice cream etc it does make the Tx a very stable platform.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 02/11/2018 14:29:22

Nifty 5007/11/2018 20:28:44
38 forum posts
81 photos

Hi Frank, here are some photos of the transmitter tray I am making. The transmitter is offset to the left and there will be a wrist rest about 4" high in the bottom left hand corner. The transmitter is fastened to the tray by a Velco lipo battery strap and the slots at the top stop the transmitter from turning when using the throttle slider. The shoulder harness is made by Tarot. I have a bit more to do to finish it at the weekend - cutting the stomach curve, trimming the width. I will post a decent set of photos when it is finished.tray a.jpg

tray b.jpg

tray c.jpg

There aren't any drawings, I am knocking the prototype up as I go along - when I am happy with it I will make a decent tray

Andy Blackburn08/11/2018 09:02:40
448 forum posts
483 photos
1 articles

There's not a lot wrong with a Boomerang as a trainer.

However, many trainers are set-up with a forward c.g. (particularly if one has erred on the side of caution), one side-effect of which is that they may tend to fly a little fast once they're trimmed for the glide (as it's electric and you're thinking it's a bit fast, I'm guessing that the throttle will be closed for most or all of the approach).

I suggest, therefore, that you experiment with moving the c.g. back a little bit at a time - nothing bad will happen because it has a nice, square wing. If you move it back far enough you'll notice the elevator is a bit more sensitive, but you can reduce the throw slightly to compensate, and carry on.

Nifty 5011/11/2018 23:58:59
38 forum posts
81 photos

Hi Andy,

I do set up my planes slightly nose-heavy, I will experiment with moving the CoG back a bit. The battery is the only ballast on the plane, any adjustments can be made on the field by moving the battery back a touch each time.

Thanks.

Nifty 5012/11/2018 18:52:54
38 forum posts
81 photos

Frank,

I have finished the prototype transmitter tray, the thread is in General Radio Discussion:

tray 1.jpg

How did your friend work his throttle control?

Dwain Dibley.12/11/2018 20:25:42
958 forum posts
938 photos

Brilliant bit of kit that, well done. Matey. laugh

D.D.

Frank Skilbeck12/11/2018 21:18:45
4179 forum posts
98 photos

Nifty very nice, my friends Tx already has side sliders which can be reassigned to throttle so he uses that, it's been modded to include a ring so he can hold the stick with thumb and forefinger and then have 2nd/3rd finger in the ring so he can more easily move throttle slider up and down.

It's shown in a video here.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 12/11/2018 21:21:04

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 12/11/2018 21:26:56

Nifty 5012/11/2018 22:37:44
38 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Dwain, I borrowed the ideas from other trays and used them on mine.

Frank, that video is pure gold to me. Thanks very much.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us