By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What prop for a Saito 125a four stoke engine ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rocker31/10/2018 21:17:23
341 forum posts

Been running my Saito 125a Four stoke engine on a Seagull Spacewalker (82" wingspan ) I have been running it in and flying the spacewalker on a APC 15/8 prop .The Engine is well and truly run in now .It fly fine on the 15/8 prop but everyone tells me to switch to a 16/6 or a 16/8 prop now it is run in. What difference would a 16/6 or a 16/8 make to the flying of the Spacewalker over the 15/8 ( 16/6 and the 16/8 are the same make ,APC )Or should I stay with what I have ?

Jon - Laser Engines31/10/2018 21:51:10
4505 forum posts
164 photos

15x8 is a good size. if the model is flying well enough then i would leave well enough alone. i also doubt it would take a 16x8

John Stainforth31/10/2018 22:19:33
286 forum posts
38 photos

There is probably not much in it between a 15X8 and a 16X6, the choice depending more on the type of plane and flying you want to do. I have a 16x6 on my Saito 125 in an aerobatic plane where I want best performance at quite low speeds, particularly in vertical climbs. I ended up with a 16x6 by trial and error - no science in that at all, and that certainly may not be the best possible prop. Also, the altitude of the field one flies from can make a surprising difference. When I moved some models from near sea level to over 600 feet above sea level (DRCF at Ashbourne, Derbyshire), I was surprised by how much effect that had on performance - I had to increase the prop diameter and/or pitch by about an inch to get reasonable vertical. Now that I am back at lower altitudes, I've moved some props back down again in diameter or pitch.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us