Forum sponsored by CML

Howzat II

Wing fixing?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
buster prop31/10/2018 21:56:20
471 forum posts
9 photos

Chris Williams’ Howzat II glider plan and article were in the May 2018 issue of the mag. I’ve been looking over the plan with a view to making it a winter build. Haven’t finally decided to build it yet, storage is an issue for me and there’s a lot of wood in this model with sheet covered wings and plenty more in the fuselage. However, there’s just one thing about the plan that I can’t understand unless I’m missing something. The wings slide onto a joiner and incidence pegs. They are held together with rubber bands going across inside the fuselage centre section from hooks screwed into both wing roots. The only problem is that the fuselage is fully sheeted there so I can’t see how to fit the bands between the hooks. I suppose they could be pulled through from one wing, stretched and hooked onto the other one but would they be tight enough to hold the wing halves together? I have a glider which uses this method of wing attachment (a smaller model with only two hooks) but that has a hatch for band-fitting access. If anyone is building a Howzat II please let me know how the wing attachment works.

Bob Cotsford31/10/2018 23:15:58
8023 forum posts
444 photos

That method has worked well for me on a few of models in the past, ranging from a 1.5cc diesel powered aerobat up to a 120" Supernova soarer. I used to make piano wire hooks long enough to reach through the fuselage, pull the band through and then wiggle it onto the second wing's hook.

buster prop01/11/2018 08:45:53
471 forum posts
9 photos

Thanks Bob, that’s how it must work. I just wondered whether bands pulled through with a hook would be tight enough with the wings in place.

MaxG01/11/2018 09:46:11
151 forum posts
3 photos

Used to be the way it was done before fancy expensive wing retaining methods were invented by those who wish to sell high price accessories.

Make a long wire hook about 50 mm longer than fuselage width.

Slide wing one side onto the joiners, put a suitable rubber band(s) onto the hook on the wing. Put the long hook through the fuselage and hook it on to the elastic bands. Pull the hook through the fuselage and when the bands appear turn the long hook so the band is retained. Settle the wing properly on to the wing dowels. Note the the long wire hook is still keeping the rubber band in place so you have 2 hands to put the second wing half on to its joiners. Ease the bands over the retaining hook in the second wing half and remove your long hook and settle the second wing half into place. Easy peasy.

The difficult bit is to find your long hook where you put it down in the long grass etc where you were assembling the plane.

While you are making the long hook make a couple of spares and keep then in your flying tool box or even the car glovebox. Bitter experience!!!!

HTH

Maxg

Bob Cotsford01/11/2018 10:30:06
8023 forum posts
444 photos

Good description Max, especially the point about bandS - best to use two or three thinner bands in case of snappage!

MaxG01/11/2018 16:27:54
151 forum posts
3 photos

Thank you Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us