By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which Set Should I buy

Easy to programme, Mid Range Price, Reliable.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken anderson.02/11/2018 10:04:45
8452 forum posts
773 photos

hello again Eric,we are spoiled for choice today compared to not so long ago...and the things work straight out of the box.....if you intend getting back in big style maybe spend a little more than average...…. if your just have a re-run of your years gone by....buy a budget set......even they will have most of what you require.... and will serve you well...i'm a Hitec A9 user....nice user friendly bit of kit...

ken anderson...ne...1...…. budget dept.

Martin Harris02/11/2018 11:14:33
8872 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by Anthony Wright 3 on 01/11/2018 16:21:20:

Hello I use frysky Exelent radio. It just annoys me that nobody can think for themselves anymore!

I'm a little intrigued by this comment. Could I ask how you came to make your decision to go with your current system? Did you research it yourself by making comparisons with radios supplied for the purpose by the manufacturers or agents, take their marketing literature at face value, buy one on spec. with the hope that it would be suitable - or maybe use the experience and opinion of other club members or maybe even forums like this?

Yes, there's plenty of opinion bouncing around the internet but I suspect that if you were in the company of 100 model flyers, at least 99 of them would be convinced that their particular radio system was the best! I feel that I have a reasonable level of knowledge in model flying and building but only know one or two radio systems that I work with regularly in any depth and can be as confused as anyone by references to perceived difficulties or issues that affect other systems accompanied by various combinations of model names and firmware variants.

The OP is returning to flying after a long break and is aware of massive changes since he last flew models - perhaps not yet rejoined a club and has explained his specific requirements for anyone who cares to give the benefit of their opinion. This, to me, is entirely sensible information gathering and as differing opinions have been expressed (and would be expected) then he will be armed with some relevant information when he makes his decision to make a significant investment.

Geoff Sleath02/11/2018 11:34:53
3429 forum posts
297 photos

Very well put, Martin. Couldn't agree more.

Geoff

Stearman6502/11/2018 11:35:54
769 forum posts
893 photos

Precisely Martin. & Thanks again Ken.yes

Regards Eric.

PatMc02/11/2018 11:45:13
4221 forum posts
521 photos

A wise man learns from his mistakes and experience.

A wiser man learns from the mistakes and experience of others. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 02/11/2018 12:06:45

Martin Harris02/11/2018 12:17:11
8872 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by PatMc on 02/11/2018 11:45:13:

A wise man learns from his mistakes and experience.

A wiser man learns from the mistakes and experience of others. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 02/11/2018 12:06:45

The wisest man learns from the mistakes and experience of others...and his own mistakes and experience - but claims that they were the mistakes and experience of others.

Former Member03/11/2018 12:29:20
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Percy Verance03/11/2018 12:38:18
8108 forum posts
155 photos

MIstakes? My old boss says he never made any. They were simply unavoidable errors.......

Pete B - Moderator03/11/2018 13:24:47
7586 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by supertigrefan on 03/11/2018 12:29:20:

Here's a suggestion: Bin your current profile and start all over again with a new slate but this time lose the attitude!

He 'left the room' yesterday....no return is anticipated....smile

Pete

Dave Hess04/11/2018 13:47:02
303 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 03/11/2018 13:24:47:
Posted by supertigrefan on 03/11/2018 12:29:20:

Here's a suggestion: Bin your current profile and start all over again with a new slate but this time lose the attitude!

He 'left the room' yesterday....no return is anticipated....smile

Pete

That's nothing to be happy about. If you start excluding people that think different to the modal forum guys, you'll end up with nothing but a clique of die-hards making threads about how well they can pin sticks of balsawood to plans and why I/C engines are better than electric.

The guy made a valid point, which he expressed in a rather clumsy though direct way. Instead of taking issue with his point, forum members resorted to a tirade of personal abuse. It's them that should have been dealt with not him.

You can ban me too for expressing my opinion if you want. I don’t give an iota. There are plenty of more friendly rc forums than this one.

Martin Harris04/11/2018 14:13:38
8872 forum posts
221 photos

There's a world of difference between some good natured leg pulling and a new member posting what appeared to be inflammatory statements from the start. There was no profile or introduction for us to gauge his experience level, something which can be addressed by getting to know those who don't want to do so by some posting history and I suspect that STF was only expressing the private thoughts that many forum members would have had.

Which thread was this tirade of insults in, by the way? I don't see evidence of this here unless you can illuminate me. There was just one rather direct post on this page and one example of some light hearted humour on the previous one.

I would disagree that this forum isn't friendly though. Like a club, we learn to gauge the response to particular posters and sometimes tease each other a little - but it rarely gets to a personal or insulting level - at which point the moderators jump in very quickly to put a stop to any unwanted nonsense.

Stearman6504/11/2018 14:34:07
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Eric Shepherd on 01/11/2018 11:10:17:

Thanks Peter, I will investigate. I know they have a good range of servos & I seem to remember when they first appeared they were classed as a budget set.thumbs up

Regards Eric.

Peter, Assuming you were referring to the 9X? the manual says digital servos only, which are approx 3 times the price of Hitec analogue. If I get the powered glider I'm considering, it needs 6 servos, so that is quite a hike in price.

Regards Eric.

Former Member04/11/2018 16:12:33
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Erfolg04/11/2018 16:33:40
11395 forum posts
1208 photos

I can understand why people ask for others advice, I can understand why that advice is not always acted on.

I also agree that for every 10 bits of advice received at least 12 will be different.

As for making your mind up, I expect that most of us do so, after considering our own knowledge, which can be limited, then considering the information and opinion proffered by others.

I often do receive very useful information from this site, where there is a massive advantage that you are distanced from the source, which does allow time to consider and perhaps research options that you may well not have been aware.

There is a major problem with Rc Radio systems, in that there still are a lot of manufactures even now. Not only that they often have a wide range of models, which often lack consistency across the models, both in operation and setting up. Surprisingly to me, even well established manufacturers leave the scene, only for their products to turn up with a different badge , with cosmetic changes. In other cases, the badge still continues, although under different ownership.

Now you may call be biased but my Waltron Clubman has given me no problems over the last twenty years. How frequently do I use it? Is that relevant at all?

Stearman6504/11/2018 16:37:39
769 forum posts
893 photos

Read through a bunch of manuals today in between a bit of balsa bashing, Hitec Aurora 7X, Flash 7 & Multiplex Cockpit 7. Also watched a few reviews on YouTube on all of them, unfortunately there isn't much in English on the Cockpit 7. There was a good one, an Aussie, comparing the Flash 7 & 8, which hit home when he said "if you have been out of it a while & had a Futaba, JR or Kraft previously, you will have no problem moving to the Flash 7". Checked out the price at my nearest HS £179 with receiver, but minus transmitter battery, programming looks pretty simple. With that as first choice I will seek out one I can lay my hands on & if it feels OK, I may make a purchase.

Thanks to all for your constructive suggestions.

Reg's Eric.yes

**LINK**

Paul Marsh04/11/2018 18:03:07
3725 forum posts
1055 photos

No harm in asking for advice, and once the advice has been given, you can either follow it , or not, or form a basis of an conclusion, or ask more advice.

We can't all like everyone, I don't like some people, or think others are a waste of time, but unless they get on my nerves, won't say anything. Some telling a random person that they are "sad" , etc is being nasty.

So my advice, take it or leave it is.

Hitec Aurora 9 - great easy to use set, although going obsolete due to the fact Hitec are not producing radios anymore, and how long before their receivers stop being manufactured?

Spektrum - DX9, another set I use, good range of receivers and continuous development on the DSM protocol

Frysky Although don't own a set, all the people I know rave about them and not heard anything negative, apart from rock-solid reliability and very competivelty priced receivers (example a 8ch , gyro stabilized telemetry for £32!)

Futaba. nothing bad to say, one of the last original radio manufactures still going, with a good range of receivers and servos. Not cheap, but does its job.

JR. Doesn't exist anymore, so no product support, so avoid even buying a second-hand set, as receivers are very rare and expensive now,

Stearman6504/11/2018 18:27:58
769 forum posts
893 photos

Didn't know Hitec were not producing any moreindecision, don't want to buy something that's on the way out. Better look again. Oh Hum.face 5

MattyB04/11/2018 22:30:14
1959 forum posts
30 photos

Hitec are still manufacturing, they are just not developing any new TXs - they got a new 16ch protocol to prototype stage, but decided they could not compete in a marketplace crowded with alternative options. Whilst I doubt you would have a problem finding RXs in the medium term (Frsky make decent compatibles in addition to the OEMs from Hitec) I would still be wary of investing any money in a system with such an uncertain future.

Personally I would narrow your choice to Frsky, Spektrum, Futaba or Jeti - they are the four brands with the brightest future. All of them offer good options and are extremely reliable using FHSS protocols. Important point - installation and power supply are the most important aspects to ensuring 2.4 reliability. Choose on budget, features, channels and programming, read the manual carefully then go fly - they will all do the job very well indeed.

Dave Hess04/11/2018 22:39:20
303 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/11/2018 14:13:38:

I would disagree that this forum isn't friendly though. Like a club, we learn to gauge the response to particular posters and sometimes tease each other a little - but it rarely gets to a personal or insulting level

Is this what you mean?

Posted by supertigrefan on 04/11/2018 16:12:33:

Feel free to exercise that right.

Yawn...…... ZZzzzzz

Martin Harris04/11/2018 22:55:16
8872 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by Dave Hess on 04/11/2018 22:39:20:
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/11/2018 14:13:38:

I would disagree that this forum isn't friendly though. Like a club, we learn to gauge the response to particular posters and sometimes tease each other a little - but it rarely gets to a personal or insulting level

Is this what you mean?

Posted by supertigrefan on 04/11/2018 16:12:33:

Feel free to exercise that right.

Yawn...…... ZZzzzzz

I did say rarely - and that hadn't even been posted then.

I don't believe that an isolated example shows that this forum is unfriendly but in any group of individuals there will be the odd clash of personalities. I stand by my opinion that this is a friendly forum - certainly anything like the outright insults and personal attacks I've seen on many other internet forums would be deleted and action taken against the poster by the excellent moderators.

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/11/2018 23:04:58

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us