By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which Set Should I buy

Easy to programme, Mid Range Price, Reliable.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stearman6504/11/2018 23:09:40
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by MattyB on 04/11/2018 22:30:14:

Hitec are still manufacturing, they are just not developing any new TXs - they got a new 16ch protocol to prototype stage, but decided they could not compete in a marketplace crowded with alternative options. Whilst I doubt you would have a problem finding RXs in the medium term (Frsky make decent compatibles in addition to the OEMs from Hitec) I would still be wary of investing any money in a system with such an uncertain future.

Personally I would narrow your choice to Frsky, Spektrum, Futaba or Jeti - they are the four brands with the brightest future. All of them offer good options and are extremely reliable using FHSS protocols. Important point - installation and power supply are the most important aspects to ensuring 2.4 reliability. Choose on budget, features, channels and programming, read the manual carefully then go fly - they will all do the job very well indeed.

Hi Matty B.

You didn't mention Multiplex? I've read up on the Cockpit 7, the FRSKY range, Futaba range which I have owned a couple in the past. Jeti I looked at briefly but initially looked too expensive. Since then I've set my sights a bit lower spec' wise, so I'll check them out again. Thanks for your interest.

Regards Eric.

Frank Skilbeck05/11/2018 07:51:11
4451 forum posts
101 photos

Eric, some good advice there, I would also check out what is popular with your local club, that way you can tap into the local knowledge if ever required.

Tx's are a personal preference, for Instance the new MPX Cockpit Sx sets have rollers on the rear to operate flaps, and spoilers (or throttle if you wish), my friend who has one is a thumb flier and fines them very convenient, I'm a pinch flier and prefer mounted sliders (that said I've flown his planes and managed OK)

Stearman6505/11/2018 08:12:31
769 forum posts
893 photos

Hi Frank

I thought I had whittled it down to a short list of one, until I learned about Hitec. Now the list has expanded again to possibly Multiplex, FRSKY, Spektrum & Futaba. I hope to visit a possible club soon, but I have some other pressing things to do first. Thanks.

Eric.

Ron Gray05/11/2018 09:06:01
1449 forum posts
363 photos

Whilst at the Nats I noticed a lot of traders were now stocking the Radio Link gear, whilst I can’t vouch for performance the look and feel of the controls was really good. Limited number of model memory slots but I don’t know how important that is to you, but certainly covers the ‘lower spec’ that you’re after.

**LINK**

Edited By Ron Gray on 05/11/2018 09:06:22

Stearman6505/11/2018 10:10:02
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 05/11/2018 09:06:01:

Whilst at the Nats I noticed a lot of traders were now stocking the Radio Link gear, whilst I can’t vouch for performance the look and feel of the controls was really good. Limited number of model memory slots but I don’t know how important that is to you, but certainly covers the ‘lower spec’ that you’re after.

**LINK**

Edited By Ron Gray on 05/11/2018 09:06:22

HMMMM, Just did a search & found the same outfit for £118.00?

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/radiolink-at10ii-v2-radio-transmitter-2-4ghz-with-r12ds-receiver-and-prm-01/

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 05/11/2018 10:12:41

MattyB05/11/2018 12:20:54
1947 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Eric Shepherd on 04/11/2018 23:09:40:

Hi Matty B.

You didn't mention Multiplex? I've read up on the Cockpit 7, the FRSKY range, Futaba range which I have owned a couple in the past. Jeti I looked at briefly but initially looked too expensive. Since then I've set my sights a bit lower spec' wise, so I'll check them out again. Thanks for your interest.

Regards Eric.

I didn't mention Multiplex because I remain to be convinced that they will stay in the radios market long term (other here will immediately and vehemently disagree I am sure...). I had many happy years using their kit on 35MHz, but they were late to the 2.4GHz party (at their own choice) and their top end set was extensively delayed and a big disappointment from a programming perspective. As a result I went another route (FrSky), initially with a hack module for the Mpx Evo and then an early model Taranis which is still my TX today.

Multiplex's tray radios are popular in Europe, but elsewhere they have little to no market presence (they are not certified for use in the US), and Mpx share the same owner as Hitec (but aren't the same company). They also used to offer the most flexible and powerful software, but that reputation has been stolen in recent years by Jeti at the top end and OpenTX based transmitters at the lower price points. They do offer good telemetry options, but the RXs and sensors are a lot more expensive than FrSky, on a par with Jeti.

In summary Mpx offer excellent reliable kit, but I don't think they are true leaders in anything radio related these days. The small size of their radio business and the rise of Jeti and Frsky which has resulted in large numbers of their customers jumping ship would worry me if I was about to invest in a new Mpx system. YMMV.

Edited By MattyB on 05/11/2018 12:29:04

Stearman6505/11/2018 12:59:47
769 forum posts
893 photos

Thanks MattyByes

Regards Eric.

Cuban805/11/2018 13:12:51
2722 forum posts
13 photos

Re Radiolink.............not sure what to make of this in the first paragraph **LINK**

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/11/2018 13:14:28

Stearman6505/11/2018 13:49:51
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 05/11/2018 13:12:51:

Re Radiolink.............not sure what to make of this in the first paragraph **LINK**

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/11/2018 13:14:28

I don't think it's anything sinister. It's just the Chinese way of saying they are sorry in advance. I've bought loads of kit direct from China on Ebay & direct from retailers, some good some I wouldn't touch with a bargepole again. In the main they are improving in leaps & bounds. My worry is when India catches up.face 7

Bob Cotsford05/11/2018 17:44:18
7974 forum posts
439 photos

Radiolink have been around for a while, in fact I had a set from GiantCod probably a decade ago. Those early sets were not without issues and probably best kept for boats and cars. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then they REALLY loved Futaba's FF6! The current offerings look to be a world away from their original model, but do they have an official importer and support centre?

Peter Miller05/11/2018 18:46:55
10192 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

J.Perkins is their official importer

Rich too06/11/2018 05:38:10
3029 forum posts
1070 photos
QPosted by Eric Shepherd on 01/11/2018 10:31:44:

I'm getting to the stage where I need to buy radio components for my Top Flite Stinson build & possible radio flight refresher with a warmliner.

I need a minimum of 8 channels, mode 1, good range of servos, & UK based service agent. What do you suggest?

My last set was in 2007, a JR 8 channel 35meg. I believe JR have gone to that lost manufacturer in the sky. I've had Futaba, Skyleader & Kraft & a few I can't remember in my past life.

QI think I need to concentrate on one manufacturer & not mix & match. I need a range of servos from micro to heavy duty.

Suggestions please.

Futaba all the way 👍😉 but that’s all I’ve ever really used. Buy the one you really want as it’s likely to last you long term. I treated myself to a 16sz recently as it probably the last one I’ll ever need, and it’s a lovely piece of kit, I am delighted with it.

I rarely use Futaba servos however and usually now go for Hitec.

Edited By Rich too on 06/11/2018 05:40:32

Stearman6506/11/2018 06:39:55
769 forum posts
893 photos

Thanks Rich Too.

I'm starting my search later today with a visit to Wireless Madness in Preston. They have some Futaba, Spektrum & Graupner radios & a couple I've never heard of.

Regards Eric.

**LINK**

trebor06/11/2018 07:24:27
1906 forum posts
214 photos

I started on Spektrum and tried Futaba but now settled on Frsky / opentx. I got fedup with the annoying menu layouts, Opentx can be as simple or as complicated as you want and there is plenty of support about if you need it.

Dave Hess06/11/2018 13:37:43
303 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 05/11/2018 17:44:18:

Radiolink have been around for a while, but do they have an official importer and support centre?

That's not really an issue these days. There's more information and help for your transmitter on RC forums than you'll ever get from the customer service, and if the thing still doesn't work, you can chuck it and buy a new one cheaper than what it costs to send back and check your Spektrum to the UK agent - if you can find one!

I have a Spectrum DX7S with a range problem. I tried to find someone to repair it, but it was going to cost more than the £80 I spent on my Jumper T12, which has loads more features than the Spektrum - and it works.

Edited By Dave Hess on 06/11/2018 13:40:56

Percy Verance06/11/2018 13:48:31
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Did you try Mike Ridley Dave? He has been known to undertake minor repairs for very reasonable cost. Even with more major stuff, he doesn't fleece you......

Matty

You may not be convined of Multiplex's future in the radio market, but they have at least been in it since 1958. I wonder if it'll still be possible to buy Frsky stuff in 60 years time? wink  Not that I'd be wanting any.

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/11/2018 14:09:00

Stearman6506/11/2018 13:51:19
769 forum posts
893 photos

Just back from Wireless Madness in Preston, where I went on spec' to see which radios I could handle. The sat nav took me to an industrial estate off the A6. Sally sat nav said I was there but i couldn't see anything resembling a model shop, so I drove through the estate as far as I could go & there it was in an industrial unit. The showroom was in darkness but there was a light in the office. I opened the showroom door & a PIR brought on the showroom lighting & a wall of full height glass cases stuffed with model cars & planes. A guy came out of the office & I asked if they had the Spektrum DX8E, as It wasn't listed on their web page. Yes he replied. 2 minutes later I had one in my hand after it had been unpacked from a sealed box. I had watched a promo Horizon video on YouTube that morning & knew what to expect. IThe basic price was £179, I asked for a price with receiver chargeable battery & charger, that came to £310. He offered the DX8, which has been out for some time, claiming it was a superior set. with battery, receiver & charger at £312, £2 more than the DX8E. Have you got one I asked, yes he replied, 2 minutes later it was in my hands, again from a sealed box. touch wise, the DX8 was far superior to the DX8E, which had a plasticy feel, wheras the DX8 had a rubberised finished & more pleasant to handle. What drew me to the DX8E was the ease of changing the stick mode, I fly mode 1. both these sets were mode 2. There was a PC on the desk & Youtube was searched for instructions to change modes on the DX8. That's when the deal went pear shaped. The video of a guy changing modes was a disaster, with dropped screws slipping off screws & the amount of palaver doing the change. I asked if he could get a set already on mode 1 so he went off to make a phone call, while I played with both sets. I noticed the DX8 had a problem with the R/H stick, it wouldn't centre. So when the guy returned I pointed it out. He said the supplier couldn't supply the DX8 on mode 1. He then proceeded to give the duff stick a good doing, externally, but to no avail. Out came his yellow post it notes, "It's going back" he said. So no deal was done on the day, I said I would go away & re-group. Summing up, the guy was perfection in his attitude, I must stress I have no connection with WM. So back home, that was my Spektrum experience.surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRXyG98mzo
Denis Watkins06/11/2018 14:12:59
3880 forum posts
60 photos

Stick centering on the DX8e is done from the front with a small screwdriver Eric

There are small access holes bottom right of the stick

And mode change is a doddle too

In fairness, there are many Tx and many features for one guy to learn

Tell the lad not to send it back

Erfolg06/11/2018 14:36:37
11373 forum posts
1202 photos

I was thinking about Percies comments on pedigree or the lineage of brands. I can only think of Futaba as being around under a single ownership for any length of time. In the case of both Graupner and multiplex I am sure that they are now owned by companies in the far east. Even before they changed hands as a brands, I understood that they were sub contracted design and manufacture. The real question is does it matter?

I personally take a view what matters is the present day product and what support is available. It has been mentioned by others the price of additional Rxs is a concern to me, perhaps not to others.

I get the impression that all servos these days have settled on Futaba or JR plugs, for servos? If that is true it is one less thing to be concerned about.

I can see the attraction of the Frsky stuff, because it is very good value and above all has a very good reputation. The down side for me is that these days I like things easy, where as with both of the Frsky Txs I understand i have to learn how to get it to do anything. Those who are not dinosaurs, seem to get on fine with it, I suspect that some actually sleep with their little darlings.

Will any of the manufacturers be here tomorrow, that is any ones guess, as there has been many surprises in the Radio World and along the high street. On that basis price must matter along with alternative non manufacturer items support, which includes Rxs for me.

In recent times I have pondered what will I do if my radio manufacture leaves the field of play, as with all the brands it is a real possibility.

Steve J06/11/2018 14:50:49
1460 forum posts
45 photos

Posted by Dave Hess on 06/11/2018 13:37:43:

check your Spektrum to the UK agent - if you can find one!

Logic RC are the Spektrum agent and, from what I have heard, the old standards of customer care are back.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us