By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which Set Should I buy

Easy to programme, Mid Range Price, Reliable.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PatMc09/11/2018 20:25:52
4229 forum posts
521 photos

Posted by Erfolg on 09/11/2018 20:21:03:

And that is all we northerners can afford.

Erf, you're not a northener, you live in the northern part of the midlands. wink 2

Former Member09/11/2018 20:32:04
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Erfolg09/11/2018 20:34:38
11429 forum posts
1216 photos

Supertigrefan

It is really only a bit of fun, not ridicule. Observations of why often some things are done. I have been bitten by future proofed etc., both professionally and at home.

Perhaps you may have gathered I believe all the sets work, just fine. Often the differences are trivial. Now all the sets are extremely reliable, who in their right mind will die in a ditch to support any other brand.

I do not even care what others use at the field, as sets are changed quite regularly.

The one exception that seems to tick all or most of the boxes for me is Frsky. Until it has an intuitive interface, that is not tree structure based, or needs lines of something approaching code, not all the boxes are as yet ticked. Yet no one has a intuitive coloured interface as yet, I believe it will come.

Finally no offense was intended, just a leg pull as Martin is doing with me, Sorry.

Edited By Erfolg on 09/11/2018 20:36:12

Former Member09/11/2018 20:42:02
724 forum posts

PatMc09/11/2018 21:13:45
4229 forum posts
521 photos

I think we should all kiss & make up, even midlanders. kiss

john stones 109/11/2018 21:18:37
10756 forum posts
1481 photos

He flys Frsky.

winters coming.jpg

Mike Blandford09/11/2018 22:37:11
542 forum posts
22 photos

Posted by Erfolg on 09/11/2018 20:34:38:

. . .

The one exception that seems to tick all or most of the boxes for me is Frsky. Until it has an intuitive interface, that is not tree structure based, or needs lines of something approaching code, not all the boxes are as yet ticked. Yet no one has a intuitive coloured interface as yet, I believe it will come.

. . .

Perhaps you could define what an "intuitive interface" actually is.
Also, regarding FrSky, are you referring to openTx, FrOS, or something else?

Mike

Stearman6509/11/2018 23:17:54
769 forum posts
893 photos

I think this has gone far enough now.

I've arrived at a shortlist of 3. I've seen two, the Spectrum DX8 & DX8E of those 2 the DX8 impressed me most, I will be seeing another & possibly the other 2 which are.............................. wait for it, the Multiplex Cockpit 9 & finally the Hitec Flash 8. After I've seen those 2, I will decide.

BTW I'm not a newby, it's just 11 years since I sold my last set a JR & 53 years since I bought my first single channel set, I think it was an ABC & had the innovation that you didn't have to press buttons in sequence it had a lever you moved left or right, which sent the signal to the escapement. I didn't keep it long as I got fed up with repairing my Super 60 & Merco 35.

I then bought a second hand gold biscuit tin called Kraft with linear sevos the size of a Swan Vestas match box.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, as I said before I think we've all learned something. I'll come back & tell you which I chose & ordered.

Regards Eric.yesyesyes

Erfolg09/11/2018 23:18:30
11429 forum posts
1216 photos

It is the concept that "Apple" then "Microsoft" came up with, as an idea, it is finding things in a way that the user would expect. The idea is for the user to find things as their mental model would expect. This would mean that relationships would be arranged in such a way that prior knowledge or training was not to be expected.

At a practical level, the user may be presented with icons, which represent, objects that they are familiar with and in the context of what they wish to do is relevant. An example could be symbol for a wing. clicking on it could reveal a set of icons or headings related to wing functionality. Associated with wings could be imagery associated to wing servos.

Yet to avoid the tree type relationships, on the introductionary desk top or sheet there could be an image of a servo. Again by intuition and anticipated by the user relationship, the same option could be reached, without going down the wing route.

Likewise with all the other capabilities.

Microsoft drop down menus are slightly different, in that the degree of standardisation in addition to anticipation of how users think, allows a user to engage with a plethora of options utilising the same concepts. Perhaps not truly intuitive.

Many of our RC interfaces are anything but intuitive, in that some of the functionality is located on a branch where the first item appears to have little to nothing in common with other options on the branch. An example could be the first item is servo reversing, followed by timer settings, then switch allocation. I know non of our sets are quite as bazarly structured. Although I bet 90% of us need a diagram of the menu, or we scroll around the planet until we stumble on what we want, then continue in the same frustrating and time consuming manner.

Edited By Erfolg on 09/11/2018 23:19:45

Mike Blandford10/11/2018 00:29:19
542 forum posts
22 photos

Most of our radios currently don't have the equivalent of a mouse/clicking or a touch screen, so this limits some of what may be achieved. The screen resolution also limits things.

I have made a significant effort to make things easier to find in ersky9x firmware. When you go to edit a model you first get an "index" display where you may select the "type" of item you wish to change:

sd1.jpg

I'm open to feedback to make this even easier to use.

Mike

Former Member10/11/2018 09:56:59
724 forum posts

Former Member10/11/2018 10:01:24
724 forum posts

Erfolg10/11/2018 11:05:36
11429 forum posts
1216 photos

I woke up this morning reminiscing about the dim and distant past. Not being one for BS, I remember standing at the bar, pint in hand, pontificating about the future where all Keyboards would be "WYSIWYG" that print outs would be"GUI", that storage devices would be "Object Be Object Oreinateted". Ah yes those were the days, When DOS was limited to 760k, that programs were top down or bottom up designs, the days of absolute certainty.

I then thought about our radios and my house hold, you have gathered that I am somewhat of a dinosaur. It struck me that increasingly the interfaces around me are voice activated.

In my car, the inbuilt sat nav and phone, can be accessed by voice instructions, plus a few other things. As per the menu, there is so much available, you cannot shake a stick at them, to keep back the tide of options and information. Yet it is the voice activation that is the easiest to use. Just command, phone "Mrs Grumpy Knickers" and the dulcet tones are there barking out.

Then there is my good friend "Alexa". She tells me about the weather, switches the TV on and off, and so on. She is now my timer for cooking. Even plays music. Unfortunately she is not infallible, she does not know consistently "who is the fairest of them all", often she does get it right, that "thee is the fairest in the land", more often wrong, wrong, wrong.

I can see this concept spreading into our RC systems. Just barking out Geraldine, 3 clicks of down elevator, adjusting the pitch trim. Geraldine go into settings and mix aileron and rudder and so. Geraldine, play "Silver Machine", on landing approach play "8 miles high" then "Die Sonne". Sheer heaven, can barely wait.

I know using female voices is sexist, and that all this technology is flawed being the product of male, middle class, white boys, as I heard the complaints on TV, and that the female inventors and developers have been side lined. But on this I am sure "relational Spreadsheets" are the next thing.

Peter Christy10/11/2018 12:16:39
1615 forum posts

Erfolg: Very well put. As I read that, there was a certain amount of self-recognition going on!!!

MikeB: I've always found OpenTx to be quite logical. I think it only caught me out once, and that was setting up an IC powered helicopter (moving the "hovering throttle" setting upped the idle speed causing a hot start!) I started a thread over on the development forum, where it was suggested I had applied the curves at the wrong point, and sure enough, moving them solved the problem. I was caught out by following the "good practice" I had been taught in college rather than thinking logically about possible consequences!

Funnily enough, the people who - in my experience - struggle least with OpenTx are those who have never had a Futaba / Jr / whatever. The ones who find it hardest to follow are the ones who are used to being led by the hand, rather than thinking the process through logically.

Even then, as most people fly basic 4-channel aircraft, OpenTx can be used pretty much "out of the box", without any significant effort to set it up at all.

Its only when you get into complex setups - helicopters, crow braking, etc - that you need to excercise the brain cells somewhat.

--

Pete

john stones 110/11/2018 12:50:01
10756 forum posts
1481 photos

Erfs transmitter playing Silver machine. face 1

Shouldn't it be Stacia not Geraldine. wink

Stearman6510/11/2018 13:28:27
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Eric Shepherd on 09/11/2018 23:17:54:

I think this has gone far enough now.

I've arrived at a shortlist of 3. I've seen two, the Spectrum DX8 & DX8E of those 2 the DX8 impressed me most, I will be seeing another & possibly the other 2 which are.............................. wait for it, the Multiplex Cockpit 9 & finally the Hitec Flash 8. After I've seen those 2, I will decide.

BTW I'm not a newby, it's just 11 years since I sold my last set a JR & 53 years since I bought my first single channel set, I think it was an ABC & had the innovation that you didn't have to press buttons in sequence it had a lever you moved left or right, which sent the signal to the escapement. I didn't keep it long as I got fed up with repairing my Super 60 & Merco 35.

I then bought a second hand gold biscuit tin called Kraft with linear sevos the size of a Swan Vestas match box.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, as I said before I think we've all learned something. I'll come back & tell you which I chose & ordered.

Regards Eric.yesyesyes

I seem to be having a problem seeing a Multiplex Cockpit 9 in the flesh, so to speak. Is there anyone a reasonable distance (within 50 miles ) of Southport that I could take a look at.

Eric.

Frank Skilbeck10/11/2018 14:20:52
4514 forum posts
101 photos

I was going to suggest Steve Webb Models only 35 miles from you, but they are listed as out of stock

Erfolg10/11/2018 14:33:12
11429 forum posts
1216 photos

Peter

I tend to think that there are at least two major groups of fliers with respect to RC Txs.

The first are users. In essence all they want to do is use the Tx as a tool, where all you do is switch on, then use it to control a model through its flight.

The second group, not only want to fly, they see the Tx as part of the intellectual challenge of not only flying a model, but also in getting it to fly. They are more than happy thinking about what they want to function on the model and how it should undertake that function. Part of the process is setting up the Tx to respond as required. I guess this group tends to be academically inclined.

If I take myself, I was taught Fortran, Pascal, Basic and Visual Basic. The whole time I was thinking, if I have to write all this code to say manipulate some information within a data base, it will cost a fortune and all the user wants to do is say extract say some expenditure, or do some matrix calculation. At the time I found it interesting as an exercise, yet as a user I am not in the slightest bit interested in how something is done, be it in Photo editing, a address file.

For flying I am a user. I do recognise others see flying as just a bit of the intellectual stimulus and manual skills set.

Stearman6510/11/2018 14:46:57
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 10/11/2018 14:20:52:

I was going to suggest Steve Webb Models only 35 miles from you, but they are listed as out of stock

Hi Frank I already asked them as I'm going to look at the Hitec there Monday.

Regards Eric.

Nigel R10/11/2018 15:34:45
3156 forum posts
479 photos
I'm with you there Erfolg. Software is my day job, I don't want to do more of it as part of my hobby.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us