Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Problems I'm having

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
nigel newby01/11/2018 17:23:32
154 forum posts
40 photos

Hi folks back again. I now have a few sims and have given them all a go.

I do seem to have a couple of problems, not with the programme, but the way they work.

One is depth perception. I keep hiting things like bushs trees parked plane trucks, because I cannot tell how far or near to them I am because there is no depth perception, in 2 dimensions. Even tried flying a 3d model, but that didn't work either LOL.

Another thing is visual orientation. Sometimes I cannot see what position the plane is in, because it appears to far away.

My other real problem is landing. All the planes seem so floaty. They just go on and on, and when you try to flair out they seem to climb 20 ft in the air.

Still great way of getting stick time in.

Nigel

Denis Watkins01/11/2018 17:26:21
3494 forum posts
165 photos

Nigel

Same advice I always give

In settings

Tick Zoom

And tick Ground in View

This will resolve all you said

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/11/2018 17:26:49

nigel newby01/11/2018 17:47:52
154 forum posts
40 photos

Cheers Denis, it helps, but just wacked another tree. Perhaps the old eyes are getting worn out. But the ground in view is a real winner.

Nigel

Frank Skilbeck01/11/2018 17:56:32
4310 forum posts
101 photos

We have a hedge and a couple of trees at our "real" site and they are often visited, so depth perception isn't just limited to flight simulators wink

nigel newby01/11/2018 18:08:27
154 forum posts
40 photos

Thanks for that Frank. At least touch wood I have only done it on the sim. £ seconds later Harry Potter has cast his spell and I am flying again. Where I tend to fly the trees are quite a long way off, and the rest is low gorse, so no real problems and the gorse has saved a few models, in there time.

Nigel

Edited By nigel newby on 01/11/2018 18:10:14

Don Fry01/11/2018 18:32:54
3300 forum posts
39 photos

So you are in the group of flyers who havnt yet hit a tree. Oh the joy, as your eyes continue on the flight path, and your brain says "where's the plane".

eflightray01/11/2018 19:15:59
560 forum posts
127 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 01/11/2018 17:56:32:

We have a hedge and a couple of trees at our "real" site and they are often visited, so depth perception isn't just limited to flight simulators wink

Try to spend more time at your 'real' site watching others fly, try judging whether they are flying where you think they are and whether you would have flown the same line.

Sims can be fun and teach a little thumb/finger control memory, but as you say they are not what you see in a 'real' world.

Get out flying smiley

nigel newby02/11/2018 00:08:55
154 forum posts
40 photos

Could not agree more Ray. There ain't nuffink like the real fing. Have flown before but not for a while, so the sim's are great for getting a bit of stick time, and trying new stuff. But when you get to the flying field its for real. No magic wand to repair the aircraft. Trust me I don't fly the same lines as others etc, but I do normally get down in one piece, that's where I think the sims are not as good. I keep crashing them. Something gets lost on the landing side of things. They float on forever or tip stall and are in, but hey ho, we will see when the weather gets so I can fly. All the best

Nigel

Tom Sharp 202/11/2018 00:23:15
3313 forum posts
17 photos

For a bit of fun try deliberately crashing into the flying field objects on your simulator.

Not at all easy.

nigel newby02/11/2018 00:34:02
154 forum posts
40 photos

Just tried it, no problem. I hit the ground every time. Never missed!!!! But yes see what you mean I even missed a huge hanger. But that's the problem spaceal awareness.

Simon Chaddock02/11/2018 01:01:26
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

nigel

Depth perception is a problem with simulators using a 2D screen as part of brain knows it is a flat screen so is unable to accurately process it as a 3D image..

An experienced RC flyer manages better simply because his brain has been 'taught' to respond to the image and ignore the effect of the 2D screen.

Out on the field the brain knows it is outdoors so is not so confused but accurate depth perception of a relatively small object at distance is still a serious issue.

Tom Sharp 202/11/2018 01:19:26
3313 forum posts
17 photos

One thing I have noticed over the years on many fields, is that some trees seem to attract more planes than other trees on the same field. Irrespective of size or position.

nigel newby02/11/2018 01:23:06
154 forum posts
40 photos

Funny talking about depth perception.

I once went for a job as a trainee diamond polisher. They tested me for depth perception. I passed with flying colours. Mind you I could not polish my shoes let alone a diamond. Did not last long their. Still they sacked me on the spot, then gave me two weeks wages in lieu of notice. Great firm.

Wihtgar02/11/2018 12:20:44
59 forum posts

There's a Horizon Hobbies Version of RealFlight coming out - RealFlight 8!. Waiting for reply to see if the old Phoenix dongle will work with it.

nigel newby03/11/2018 01:04:39
154 forum posts
40 photos

Well Tom I guess trees are like people, some are more attracting than others.

As to new stuff coming out, so far I feel that these are great at giving stick time and trying out manoeuvres but going to the field is the real thing, and no sim can reproduce that. Still I can smash up planes till my hearts content, and no ever need a tube of glue.

I do find them good but I seem to crash a lot, which does not happen in real life.

Nigel

Mark Howard 103/11/2018 05:31:50
23 forum posts
Posted by Wihtgar on 02/11/2018 12:20:44:

There's a Horizon Hobbies Version of RealFlight coming out - RealFlight 8!. Waiting for reply to see if the old Phoenix dongle will work with it.

RF8 has been available for a while now. It doesn't need a proprietary interface like RF7.5 or earlier did. I don't know if the Phoenix interface will work as it's a device specifically for Phoenix but pretty much any generic USB sim interface (typically less than £10) will work with it although you may want to ensure than any USB interface you buy will support more than 4 channels (for flaps.gear etc) as some of the cheaper ones don't. I use the Rx2Sim unit which allows you to use either a cable from the Tx or to sim wirelessly with an appropriate receiver plugged in.

David Davis03/11/2018 06:20:24
3252 forum posts
547 photos

Talking of trees I used to have a Flair Hooligan, Flair's answer to the WOT 4, powered by an Irvine 46. Having treed a couple of models in the past I was annoyed when I saw the it hit the top branches of a tree. My fault of course. However, I gave it full throttle and the engine responded, good engines those Irvines, and the model performed a superb knife edge as it escaped from the clutches of the branches. I flew it back to the patch and landed, the model trailing foliage from its undercarriage!

Picture of your humble servant, the Flair Hooligan and the foliage below. The offending tree is in the background.

Curiously enough, the Radio Queen behind me was also flown into the same tree by my girlfriend when she was on the buddy box. My fault of course. It cost me £80 to hire a tree surgeon to get it down!

Wish I'd never sold that Hooligan now!

Edited By David Davis on 03/11/2018 06:21:03

Tom Sharp 203/11/2018 21:14:01
3313 forum posts
17 photos

I once landed in a tall tree in a small woodland next to our flying field.

Unable to rescue the plane myself, I had to call out tree surgeons who came about 9.30 the next morning.

The man was well up the tree and making progress when to our surprise a police car arrived containing two full time plod and two cadets.

The reason for their presence, someone had phoned them saying we were stealing Buzzards eggs.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us