AR6600T telemetry data?

AR6600T data

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Fraser12/11/2018 09:54:11
31 forum posts
21 photos

DX8 telemetry.jpgAR6600T.jpgHi folks,

I've been using this AR6600T in my Yak this season and am trying to get these telemetry numbers down by repositioning the RX and their antennas. I've not had any holds yet but I'm struggling to improve on these figures. I would have thought that the airframe is pretty transparent but it does have a carbon wing joiner. Should I be worried by what I see on my TX?

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:55:13

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:56:43

Brian Dorricott 112/11/2018 10:14:03
74 forum posts
2 photos

In my limited experience with orange receivers and DX6/8 transmitters that's not too bad , no H data . I think that's 40 odd consecutive dropped packets for one H . Dropped packets are inevitable and you will never get 0 it's just not possible , try it on the bench at home and you'll still probably see some packet loss . Otherwise I wouldn't stress about it , incidentally the other figures come in with satellites connected and can only improve the situation . If you can find an app for your home broadband which is on basically the same band 2.4g to look at dropped packets you would be appalled by the lost packets but you just wouldn't notice because they are immediately sent again until they receive correctly. I do think we are too quick to blame RC links today , if your aerials are well placed and the power supply is good then it's unlikely to be a radio fault.

Brian Dorricott 112/11/2018 10:21:44
74 forum posts
2 photos

Sorry Martin just rubbed the sleep out of my eyes the picture shows the main Rx getting 5 times the dropped packets of the satelite , shielding issue maybe ? I like my aerials stuck out in the wind but I'm a radio commissioning engineer so a little anal about that. I've had worst figures and absolutely no problems , we give ourselves an indicator then stress over what it tells us !

Steve J12/11/2018 10:28:48
1093 forum posts
37 photos

In my experience the 'T' receivers are noticeably worse than the non-'T' receivers when it comes to receiving the signal from the transmitter and worse than TM1000s when it comes to transmitting telemetry. Having said that, your numbers do look high. I would consider moving the remote further back down the fuse. What is powering the receiver? If is the BEC circuit in an ESC, then I would suggest fitting a UBEC.

Steve

Steve J12/11/2018 11:02:04
1093 forum posts
37 photos

Numbers from the AR6600T in my EasyGlider (UBEC, remote under the wing) -

A fades 109, B 9, frame losses 4.

Steve

Denis Watkins12/11/2018 11:43:57
3597 forum posts
166 photos

At the advent of 2.4gig, when recording everything became simple I too questioned this seemingly huge amount of fades and frame losses

But the then Service department was resolute in saying that was the idea, with everything competing with the signal

That this did re-aquire without incident

It is just these days we can see it all happening

Edited By Denis Watkins on 12/11/2018 11:45:16

John Lee12/11/2018 12:31:41
616 forum posts
46 photos

From the Spektrum Flight Log User Guide and Rx installation guidelines:

1. Guidelines for DSMX

• Holds—Holds are unacceptable. If a hold occurs, please investigate and correct the issue before next flight.

• Frames—<100- In conventional models during a 10 minute flight, frames should typically be less than 100 on all receivers.

• Fades—Use Fades for comparison only. All attached receivers should have similar Fades. If not, investigate poorly performing receivers (location, antenna orientation, etc) and correct.

IMPORTANT: If the antenna is to be mounted internally (in the front of
    a 2.4GHz fuse), the coaxial can be taped into position. Ensure the 31mm tip is located at least 2 inches from any significant carbon structure.

•  

Edited By John Lee on 12/11/2018 12:32:43

Nigel R12/11/2018 12:51:36
2731 forum posts
448 photos

"In my experience the 'T' receivers are noticeably worse than the non-'T' receivers when it comes to receiving the signal from the transmitter"

Steve, do I understand right -

for a 6600T, the main receiver (A fades?) shows more fades than, e.g. a 6210?

the satellite fades are about the same?

I guess the receiver has more going on internally, with the telemetry transmission, perhaps it is just a bit noisier in there?

and, a question, the telemetry transmission is worse than the module, in what way?

Steve J12/11/2018 13:17:43
1093 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 12/11/2018 12:51:36:

do I understand right...

I replaced a AR6255 in an Easyglider with a 6600T. The antennas are in more or less the same positions. My records show that I get more fades with the 6600T than I did with the 6255. Advantage of the 6600T is that I don't need to find room for a TM1000. If you have a look at the T receiver topic over on RCG, you will see that I am not the only one with this opinion.

I seem to get more telemetry dropouts with the 6600T than I do with TM1000s. This may be related to reception as Spektrum transmits telemetry after receiving data.

The number of frame losses that Martin is getting would concern me. I see zero frame losses for most of my flights with most of my models with TM1000s. I get double figures, I am looking for a reason.

Looking at Martin's installation, I would probably have the remote low down with the antennas either lateral or longitudinal and the long antenna from the 6600T going up into the canopy.

Steve

Martin Fraser12/11/2018 16:26:37
31 forum posts
21 photos
Posted by Steve J on 12/11/2018 10:28:48:

What is powering the receiver? If is the BEC circuit in an ESC, then I would suggest fitting a UBEC.

Steve

Hi all,

Steve - yeah it's a BEC off the ESC. For now I think I'll reposition and adjust the orientation of the main and satellite RX, further away from the wing joiner and the lipo flight pack and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the input folks - I'll report back after the next outing.

Cheers, Marty

Martin Fraser26/11/2018 14:58:16
31 forum posts
21 photos

s5150002.jpgHi folks,

Had the Yak out yesterday having relocated the main RX and satellite further aft. The number of fades is well down now and the losses on B look OK. Losses on A were improved to 770 after this photo was taken by taping the long antenna at 90 * to the satellite's.

Room for improvement but getting better.

Cheers, Martys5150001.jpg

Denis Watkins26/11/2018 15:11:01
3597 forum posts
166 photos

Don't forget Martin, that during the flight, the motor and battery will at some point put the aerials in the shade of the Tx even for a split second.

2.4 gig can handle this

Steve J26/11/2018 16:34:34
1093 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/11/2018 15:11:01:

Don't forget Martin, that during the flight, the motor and battery will at some point put the aerials in the shade of the Tx even for a split second.

The point of having the remote and two antennas on the main unit is so that you can position things such that a) there is always a direct line from your transmitter to one of the antennas in the model and, b) you have one antenna vertical, one lateral and one longitudinal. This is why I said my last post that I would have the remote low and the long antenna on the main going up into the canopy.

Steve

Don Fry26/11/2018 18:55:36
3454 forum posts
40 photos

Being a little exact, if you want to make sure those satalites, note plural, are never in the engine battery shadow, you use long leads, and position one in the tail, and one in the wing. Otherwise you read the instructions for acceptable fades, holds, and live with results, if within specification. Be grateful you have access to such data. Don't use the data to give yourself a kicking.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us