Pack flat field stand

Field stand for one-handed use

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nifty 5016/11/2018 23:23:04
39 forum posts
84 photos

Hi Bruce,

I will get the measuring stick out at the weekend and send a sketch over to you.

Modifications? The gap in the cradles is too wide for most of my models. This is because I have sized it for my Maxford Antonov An-2 model (still in the box) - she is wide, however additional lengths of pipe wrap will close the gap nicely (I haven't worked on sorting adjustable sliders that can be used one-handed - yet).

I would make the shelf a little narrower on the width, this is to stop it fouling the neck doubling plates when packing it flat (this will be included in the sketch I will send over).

Other than these mods, I am happy with the design. I fly electric, so I only treat the wood with yacht varnish(no need for fuel-proofing) and I don't run up the motor, just blip it for pre-flight checks. Each cradle can be set to a different height, so planes like the Super Scorpion can still be level for putting the wings on.

It doesn't take long to modify the trestle, have fun.

Bruce Collinson17/11/2018 08:49:09
278 forum posts

Good morning Nifty,

Thanks for your response. I assembled mine last night after charging batteries. Your mods sound very sensible now it’s in the flesh. I may make the cradles narrower, to just fit my widest fuselages, maybe with a slight taper.

Forgive any apparent stupidity but is there a persuasive reason to omit the top rail?

I thought I’d add a restraining strap and ground anchor, for 20 cc petrol tuning, and probably straps over the fus to hold down. Most of the various stands and cradles in use at the club have ground anchors, usually handily placed to guarantee one trip per session!

A hidden benefit of this forum is I find it clarifies matters even as I post. I’m going to need a second one for the upstairs man cave. Foam cradles are ok for light planes but a bit risky for anything substantial. I believe waterbased polyurethane Floor varnish is fuelproof and will try that, and possibly use slightly thinner ply for the shelf if it’s going to be narrower. Magnetic patch in one corner; maybe adapt a magnetic dish ( I have about half a dozen of those, very useful) but then again I could fit a tool rack and a cup holder too. Am I in danger of over engineering it?

BTC

Steve Dunne17/11/2018 09:12:06
91 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Bruce,

Don't forget to build in a holder for fat rascals...

Oh - and a humidor cheeky.

Steve nerd.

Tom Gaskin 117/11/2018 10:47:04
27 forum posts
5 photos

I've been using the SLEC foldable flight mate over this season.

I can thoroughly recommend it as a saver of knees!

Tom

Nifty 5018/11/2018 00:34:02
39 forum posts
84 photos

Hi Bruce, the top cross bar is where the plane is going to be. I used the cross bar mounting holes as the mounting holes for the cradle. You got me thinking about the adjustable cradle gap and I have an idea. I will try it first then let you know if it works.

Below are a couple of photos to show why I want the shelf to be a bit narrower, the corners foul the neck doubling plates.

field stand 8.jpg

field stand 9.jpg

You can never over-engineer something like this - 240V extension socket for power tools, radio (R2 of course), kettle then maybe a biscuit barrel (custard creams & suggestive digestive) on a lower shelf but I think the 24 carat gold leaf monogram could be a touch too much...

Bruce Collinson23/01/2019 19:01:38
278 forum posts

Nifty,

Flew mine in anger on Sunday, just with an Acrowot and a foamy, took it more to tinker with a 20cc petrol engined Yak but it worked very well indeed. Still to fit the furniture, cup holder, ashtray etc and working on the ideal location for the ice bucket.

As was alluded, it’s as useful in the Mancave as at the strip. If you make another, I made my cradles in a Y pattern, tapered, and used amalgamating tape to hold the foam without creating hard edges. I found a dog restraint corkscrew with a swivel in a gratifyingly shiny chrome finish for not much money on Ebay as a ground anchor.

The previous scepticism from certain club mates soon evaporated and I suspect they will soon be reproducing.

BTC

Charles Smitheman25/01/2019 13:02:26
216 forum posts
18 photos

The previous scepticism from certain club mates soon evaporated and I suspect they will soon be reproducing.

I have heard of rhino horn but this is ridiculous! surprise

Bruce Collinson27/01/2019 11:15:50
278 forum posts

Well they’re bored with Morris dancing ......

Nifty 5017/02/2019 22:32:26
39 forum posts
84 photos

I made the cradles adjustable so that my narrower planes were more stable in the cradles. They went from this:

field stand 3.jpg

To this:

field stand 10.jpg

field stand 11.jpg

I glued the bolts into the wood and used wing nuts to fix the sliding jaw so that spanners and screwdrivers are not necessary.

field stand 12.jpg

The bottom pipe insulation padding is kept in place by the two uprights. I am trying to figure out how to fix the bottom padding while allowing the sliding jaw to move.

Bruce Collinson18/02/2019 07:53:08
278 forum posts

Spookily, now mine’s in action at the strip there’s been some interest and a club mate has bought the components to start one, proposing to make sliding cradles like yours. He’s going to beef up the tray to stand his flight box on it.

i need another as it’s default for cradling models in the mancave now. I made curved Y-shaped crutches for mine and am very happy with them. Got the cigar clip right, cup holder still to go on and the ice bucket will have to use a cable tie but fitting the humidor used up most of the shelf so will have to be shelved .... as it were...

Can’t see how to do the slides through the foam but I will show this to clubmate Jeff Ellis, see above, who was an engineer. It’s a great bit of kit.

BTC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us