Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

They Shall Not Grow Old

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cuban813/11/2018 11:35:15
2208 forum posts
4 photos

I've watched Peter Jackson's film twice now and I'd be interested in hearing other forumites' comments.

I thought that it worked very well, and brought life to what were always really just moving shadows, devoid of humanity and distant. I'm not entirely convinced by the quality of the colourisation, parts were good, but for some reason it became intrusive in some areas, particularly the unnatural greens of foliage and grass. Skin tones are difficult to get right.

Where it did really work was the way the film had been cleaned up and had the speed adjusted to make the movements of people completely realistic. The sound effects and dialogue were clever. I'd like to view it again in B/W.

John Stainforth13/11/2018 11:59:46
247 forum posts
38 photos

I thought it was outstanding. So vivid did it look, I could hardly believe it was not a re-enactment.

Martin Harris13/11/2018 12:00:34
8015 forum posts
203 photos

Easy enough to do - it's on iPlayer at the moment and you should be able to adjust your colour settings on your TV to give monochrome. You would still see the sharpened and correctly synchronised version though.

Having seen it both at the cinema and on TV, I felt the process brought so much life to the film and emphasised that these weren't just the slightly remote historical figures from my grandparents' generation I'd grown up watching in B&W but people exactly the same as today's teenagers and young men. However much I've read and watched previously, the stark realism from the colourised version was both a revelation and a humbling experience.

I don't recall any impression that the colour renditioning was unrealistic - the big surprise to me was the colour of the British soldiers' undershirts which I'd assumed would be khaki but looked blue/grey in the film. As I understand that great care was taken to represent colours accurately, I have to assume this was correct. Did you watch the cinema version C8 or perhaps your TV is set to emphasise greens?

Devcon113/11/2018 13:38:14
1329 forum posts
462 photos

For me it was the most visual and stunning piece of television I've ever seen, the first clip that evolved into colour was breathtaking, my jaw dropped.

I was completely drawn into the scenes and almost felt like being there, all comments that I've read before but it really did bring these soldiers to life and told an incredible story of their experiences and both the harsh reality of the front line but also the fun and day to day aspect of war on foreign soil for these men and women.

A truly inspirational and humbling piece of work.

Cuban813/11/2018 14:13:29
2208 forum posts
4 photos

I'll watch it again this afternoon, both colourised and with the TV set to monochrome. I'm not knocking what's been achieved, I too was bowled over by the transition from B/W to colour. Essential viewing.

ken anderson.13/11/2018 14:58:24
8226 forum posts
762 photos

thumbs up from ne..1..also......education as well as an insight....

ken anderson...ne...1...WW1 dept.

Gary Manuel13/11/2018 15:07:55
1760 forum posts
1507 photos

Recorded it to watch later. Saw a few bits during adverts on other side and it looked excellent.

Don't spoil it by telling us how it ends wink

Cuban813/11/2018 16:52:30
2208 forum posts
4 photos

I've given myself a break from painting our hallway (repaying all the brownie points spent for summer Sundays out all day flying wink) and watched the film again. It really is a masterpiece. What I said about the colourisation, I'd like to expand on a bit. It's all good and works well, but of course, it's not modern Technicolor and perhaps I was expecting too much. Mind you, given the advancements in tech, who knows what might be able to be achieved in years to come.

I did notice that the process worked exceptionally well when, presumably, the original B/W footage was of particularly high quality in terms of its focus and definition. This is particularly apparent towards the end of the film at the casualty clearing station, where image definition is very high and the colourisation is very sharp and looks as if it could have been shot on a modern domestic video. Wonderful.

Where the footage was less distinct, the colours seemed to be a bit smudged and not quite so lifelike. Do you think that some scenes were animated stills? One view of a group of 'Tommies' resting outside a building looks quite static with just a couple of their heads nodding, somewhat unconvincingly. Another panning shot along a group of soldiers also looks a bit odd, as the background doesn't change its perspective as one would expect. Again not a criticism, just interested in the technicalities of how they achieved what they did in production.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us