Forum sponsored by CML

Wing bag and hanger

Wing bag that hangs up out of the way

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nifty 5013/11/2018 23:52:29
47 forum posts
87 photos

I used to lay my wing bags flat on shelves in the garage until I found out my cats used them as springboards to get into the garage loft...now I hang them off the wall (the bags, not the cats - I can't catch them...)

The bags are made from radiator reflective insulation material, it is foam backed foil on a roll

12.jpg

I wrapped the wings in the foil roll

Wing bag

Wing bag

Then stapled the edges together and sealed them with duct tape

Wing bag

Wing bag

I used velcro pads on duct tape patches to keep the bag closed

Wing bag

The finished wing bag

Wing bag

Then came the need for the hangers, I used the straight clothes hangers, shortened them to suit and the clips came off the hanger ends.

9.jpg

I cut a slit in the edge of the bag and sealed it with tape to stop the slit from getting larger over time and then pushed the hanger through

10.jpg

Now they hang off the wall out of the way

11.jpg

Nifty 5013/11/2018 23:59:57
47 forum posts
87 photos

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side, a light side and holds the universe together.

But duct tape is like the universe, isn't it? It becomes unravelled over time and with energy...

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself

Peter Jenkins14/11/2018 00:01:00
1216 forum posts
132 photos

Have you tried the wing bags from Hobby King? They are amazing value and can be hung up if you want. I made some wing bags with the radiator foil stuff and they are not as robust as the HK bags and have space for wing joiner tubes and, if you take them off, tail planes as well. £15 for a bag where it would cost £30 just to buy the zips in the UK is amazing value. Just my 2 pennorth!

Nigel R14/11/2018 00:41:40
2920 forum posts
470 photos
Good job with the hangars. I'm already there with radiator foil bags but hanging is a new one to me.
Chris Walby14/11/2018 06:37:52
943 forum posts
226 photos

All looks good and hanging them is a great idea, only issue with the one's I made was that over time they abraded the covering high spots on the wings.crying

It took a good few weeks but once noticeable there is nothing I could do about it so I swapped to HK wing bags and IMHO can't be beaten on cost/effectiveness.

Now what I really need are wing bags that fit wings for twins..wink

Tim Ballinger14/11/2018 09:02:56
531 forum posts
215 photos

I found that a cheap child’s sleeping bag from eBay fitted over my twins wings and the all round zip allows easy packing without catching on any of the bits. Keeps the dust off and offers some protection but not sure I would hang them up.

Tim

J D 814/11/2018 09:10:27
1193 forum posts
74 photos

I have been using those hanger clamps for modeling jobs for some time but never though about using them for hanging stuff up. Except for clothes that is.wink

Brian Hammond14/11/2018 13:36:34
290 forum posts

I use my sealing iron heat the foil edges and that seems a very permanent solution.

Rich too15/11/2018 05:03:45
2902 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 14/11/2018 00:01:00:

Have you tried the wing bags from Hobby King? They are amazing value and can be hung up if you want. I made some wing bags with the radiator foil stuff and they are not as robust as the HK bags and have space for wing joiner tubes and, if you take them off, tail planes as well. £15 for a bag where it would cost £30 just to buy the zips in the UK is amazing value. Just my 2 pennorth!

+1 👍

David Ovenden15/11/2018 06:19:13
330 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Rich too on 15/11/2018 05:03:45:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 14/11/2018 00:01:00:

+1 👍

Another vote for the HobbyKing wing bags! Very sturdy and protective.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us