Forum sponsored by CML

"SD Card Error" warning Taranis X9D Plus

Help! I can't work my way around it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 14:46:38
73 forum posts
14 photos

I'm now realising just what a steep learning curve my Taranis and OpenTx really is.

Initially I got on fine with programming a model in to it and generally finding my way around, all done on the Tx rather than the OpenTx Companion software which is the latest 2.2.2 version.

The "BootLoader", whatever that is, apparently needs updating and this I have tried to do, the Tx shows I'm running 2.2.2 but BootLoader is an older 2.1 version. I went through what I thought were the required steps but on startup I now get the "SD Card Error" warning, Googling throws up a myriad of potential solutions but also further opens up the rabbit hole for me to disappear down.

I've tried everything I can and still cannot get rid of the error message. My latest attempt at a fix was to delete everything on the SD card and install the latest SD card files from OpenTx.

I'm doing this on a Macbook, if that makes any difference.

Chris Bott - Moderator21/11/2018 15:44:12
6627 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
Stephen I wouldn't worry about it too much, except that it is annoying to get the warning.
It's a very simple check of whether the SD card contents match the TX firmware version and the only check that's done is a check of a number inside a txt file on the root of the SD card.

If you have 2.2.2 opentx on the transmitter and 2.2.2 SD card files, you shouldn't get the warning.

Mostly, having the wrong SD card files only means that some sounds won't work, or something similar.
Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 16:07:40
73 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks for the reply Chris, yes the Tx is still useable and has retained my model set-up but it's irritating to get the pop up every time I swittch on and is a constant reminder of my frustrating inability to get to grips with OpenTx.

It seems that in the process of updating the files on the SD card I have lost all the images (and maybe other stuff I'm not yet aware of).

Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 16:33:39
73 forum posts
14 photos

Looks like I have also lost the "Model Wizard" set-up ........

Chris Bott - Moderator21/11/2018 17:09:53
6627 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
Looking in my Horus, which has 2.2.2 on, the model wizard is in a folder /[SCRIPTS]/[WIZARD]

Could you restore just that folder from your previous version?

Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 17:52:42
73 forum posts
14 photos

Chris, I just tried that by dragging and dropping the files, they show up on the SD Card when viewing it on my desktop, but when I disconnect and try a new model set-up the Wizard still doesn't work???

There seems to be some inability for the SD card to commumicate with the Tx.

Andy4821/11/2018 19:13:02
1344 forum posts
1 photos

I'm sorry to say but it was entirely the wrong thing to do in deleting all the SD card files. As you have found you have lost any sound and picture files you stored. If you have stored a copy of the SD card on your computer you can recover it.

There are several ways of getting rid of the error message, its pretty trivial, and can be quite annoying.

There is a section in the documentation here on updating the Taranis, and getting rid of the SD card error. it also explains how to update the bootloader.

**LINK**

Check out Section 7 on the Taranis transmitter.

I would also say it is considerably easier to use the Companion rather than using the transmitter for programming especially with the Taranis and X7 with their more limited screens.

Chris Bott - Moderator21/11/2018 20:21:05
6627 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles

Stephen just a thought. Macbook & SD card not communicating with Tx. Could this be an SD card formatting issue?

To check - you can browse the SD card contents on the radio screen.

A long press of MENU should bring up the Radio menus. From there short presses of the page key moves you between the radio menu pages. I think the first page (one short press of page) is the SD card page.

If you can see the files and folders on the SD card there, then the radio is reading it OK.

If not, then you need to format the SD card in FAT32 mode (or FAT12 or FAT16) and then copy the files to it again.
You did "unzip" all the files before copying them to the SD card didn't you?

More info **here**

Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 21:38:25
73 forum posts
14 photos

Andy, I was trying to update the Tx Firmware which, as I understand it, requires the "deleting" of existing files to be replaced with new. Of course I kept the old files as a contingency but trying to put them back on via a drag and drop isn't working. Yes, I had already tried the method in the documentation you linked to.

Chris, yes I did unzip prior to copying them over and no I cannot see the files on the radio - the SD card shows empty on the Taranis screen but appears to have everything on the desktop. I think your suggestion of the card formatting is a good one so I'll look at that tomorrow.

Stephen Belshaw21/11/2018 22:01:29
73 forum posts
14 photos

Here is a screen shot of the SD card files I downloaded, they mostly seem to be readme.txt files - is this normal??

sd.jpeg

conrad taggart22/11/2018 01:20:08
64 forum posts
Posted by Stephen Belshaw on 21/11/2018 14:46:38:

I'm now realising just what a steep learning curve my Taranis and OpenTx really is.

Initially I got on fine with programming a model in to it and generally finding my way around, all done on the Tx rather than the OpenTx Companion software which is the latest 2.2.2 version.

The "BootLoader", whatever that is, apparently needs updating and this I have tried to do, the Tx shows I'm running 2.2.2 but BootLoader is an older 2.1 version. I went through what I thought were the required steps but on startup I now get the "SD Card Error" warning, Googling throws up a myriad of potential solutions but also further opens up the rabbit hole for me to disappear down.

I've tried everything I can and still cannot get rid of the error message. My latest attempt at a fix was to delete everything on the SD card and install the latest SD card files from OpenTx.

I'm doing this on a Macbook, if that makes any difference.

Stephen

Don't worry it is a fairly common occurrence and easy to sort out. Have a look at the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1F5isxItk&t=91s

Painless 360 also does a whole series on the Taranis radio which is worth following - see his so called channels.

Conrad

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 05:47:14
73 forum posts
14 photos

Chris, the SD card is currently MS-DOS FAT16. Not sure if that is compatible wth OSX, if not can I re-format it within the radio?

Edit to add: it seems MS-DOS is fine with the Mac OSX so I need to look elsewhere for a solution.

Edited By Stephen Belshaw on 22/11/2018 05:52:39

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 06:53:33
73 forum posts
14 photos

Ok, a bit more detail:

I need to update the Firmware on the radio to match that of OpenTx Companion version in order to eliminate the on screen warning.

I download the correct Firmware version via Companion, connect the radio via USB, delete all contents on the SD card and then load the new version by dragging and dropping - this takes a few minutes to copy. I disconnect the comptuer, press enter to write Firmware and get the message "Directory is missing".

Here's the thing, when I look at the folders on the Firmware I have downloaded I can see files, in for instance Wizard, when I have copied this on to my SD card I look in the folders before disconnecting and there are no files visible. So now I have no Wizard set-up, no model pictures etc.

One thing that crops up is the need to get the opentx.sdcard.version at the root of the directory - I take that to mean at the top of the list above the various folders (Crossfire etc.). I try to do this but it won't let me place it at the top.

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 10:14:54
73 forum posts
14 photos

I am trying to go through this from basics, step by step using the OpenTx manual, fairly early on I hit a snag when trying to download the "SD card contents". Nothing downloads and I get a window saying there is no compatible USB drive availaible:

dfu.jpeg

Chris Bott - Moderator22/11/2018 10:56:58
6627 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
Stephen that looks like a communication issue between computer and radio.

I think that might be beyond us here simply because you are using a MAC.

It might be worth you registering and asking here, where you'll get answers from the chaps actually developing opentx.

https://chat.open-tx.org/channel/OpenTX_General

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 22/11/2018 10:57:30

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 11:37:21
73 forum posts
14 photos

Chris, I also think it is most likely a comms issue with OSX. I have already posted on OpenRC Forums but will give your suggestion a try too. I was hoping someone on here had a similar Taranis/Mac set-up to me and could offer some help.

Really losing confidence in this, both the Tx and my ability to sort it and of course it's eating up huge chunks of time. It might be up for sale soonsad

Andy4822/11/2018 13:30:50
1344 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Stephen Belshaw on 22/11/2018 06:53:33:

Ok, a bit more detail:

I need to update the Firmware on the radio to match that of OpenTx Companion version in order to eliminate the on screen warning.

I download the correct Firmware version via Companion, connect the radio via USB, delete all contents on the SD card and then load the new version by dragging and dropping - this takes a few minutes to copy. I disconnect the comptuer, press enter to write Firmware and get the message "Directory is missing".

Here's the thing, when I look at the folders on the Firmware I have downloaded I can see files, in for instance Wizard, when I have copied this on to my SD card I look in the folders before disconnecting and there are no files visible. So now I have no Wizard set-up, no model pictures etc.

One thing that crops up is the need to get the opentx.sdcard.version at the root of the directory - I take that to mean at the top of the list above the various folders (Crossfire etc.). I try to do this but it won't let me place it at the top.

You are making a very simple task difficult. If you read the document I referenced above, it shows you a 1 minute cure. All you need to do is restore your previous files to the SD card, then simply edit the text for the version number. Job done.

In your last post you asked if someone could help, I offered the help with a dead simple solution, and you have chosen to ignore it.

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 13:53:25
73 forum posts
14 photos

Wow, why so aggressive?

A few posts back, in response to your simple solution, I replied that I had already tried that method with no luck, thereby confirming I hadn't ignored it. I really do wish it was as simple as you say!

The problem I have is that the SD Card drive will not allow me to write to it - I cannot restore previous files or latest download to the SD card.

conrad taggart22/11/2018 15:12:36
64 forum posts

Stephen read of all this, particularly the last point, then come back to the top if the last solution does not work / isn't relevant.

Are you trying do this with a link between your Taranis and computer using a USB cable ? If so I think it is probably a driver problem as indicated by Chris.

Why not put connect the sd card to your computer directly, via the relevant slot if it has one or use a cheap adapter which goes into one of the free USB connections. Simply download the relevant updates for the sd card (corresponding to the dates / release number you used for the radio flash) or use your old files you saved to your C drive from your SD card, before all this started and copy them across to the SD card. Once finished pop the SD card back into your radio. If you use your original / saved files you will probably get the SD mismatch error again, but that is simply fixed by following the Painless 360 video on You Tube, which I linked to above.

Another benefit of the direct connection is that is a lot faster than then using the USB cable /radio route.

This is a good clear tutorial of the overall update process here:

https://oscarliang.com/flash-opentx-firmware-taranis/

With all the other useful links / advice here. https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/upgrade-new-taranis-plus.243/

I would familiarise myself with all of these before attempting further updates.

Here are some problems that sound similar to your one, particularly the last one, given your screen message a few posts up. Are you sure you had your radio turned off when you plugged it into your computer's USB - see C) in the last link below

https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/cannot-upgrade-firmware.567/

https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4241

Let us know how you get on ?

Conrad

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/11/2018 15:22:35

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/11/2018 15:29:53

Stephen Belshaw22/11/2018 15:26:33
73 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks Conrad, lots of helpful pointers there.

I am connecting direct via USB cable, my Macbook doesn't have a slot for SD card so will maybe need to look at another option as you suggested. I'll take a look at your links, I have watched a lot of the Painless 360 videos and was in fact in touch with him this morning. I had followed his procedure up to the point where my OSX user interface differed from his Windows software. I couldn't do on the Mac what he was suggesting and he said he couldn't help any further as he's not familIar with Mac's.

I have also been on the OpenTx Chat site, I was given quite a bit of help there by the Admin/owner, me sending screen shots of my process etc. Simply put it should be a straightforward operation to drag and drop updates on to the SD Card from my desktop. This process is failing for some reason and will not allow me to mount the old files or indeed the latest firmware. He confirms I am doing it correctly but cannot see a reason why it isn't working, he will hopefully chime in again later when some Mac experts are online.

I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of doing a factory re-set and starting from scratch. Not too much to lose really, I only have three models stored and all with basic set-up.

Edit to add: The Oscar Liang process is what I have been doing.

Edited By Stephen Belshaw on 22/11/2018 15:28:31

Edited By Stephen Belshaw on 22/11/2018 15:38:29

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us