All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
conrad taggart22/11/2018 17:38:58
90 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 22/11/2018 16:34:47:
Posted by conrad taggart on 22/11/2018 15:54:03:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 22/11/2018 10:40:47:

I use some heated fingerless gloves I bought on eBay. I've tried 2. The first were very cheap and worked OK but weren't very well made so I bought the second, slightly more expensive ones which are much better. The heated pads are contained in a fairly substantial fabric case with an elastic wrist and finger loop so they are held on the back of the hand. They come with a pair of knitted fingerless gloves which are intended for women, I think, because they are quite small. The doesn't bother me because I have small hands. However, the design means the heated pads could be used with any pair of gloves. I think paying a little more is better and, in any case, they're not very expensive <£20 IIRC but it's over a year since I got mine.

I power mine from a Turnigy 10AH battery so-called power pack which has 2 USB outputs. It's much more than sufficient for a winter day's use and fits easily in a pocket. I think there are lots of similar packs available.

I never used to feel the cold much (many years of mid-winter motor cycling in all weathers) but since I injured my spine, my right hand particularly feels the cold a lot. These gloves help a lot and I strongly recommend them.

One thing to be aware of is to keep the connecting wires from hanging loose to avoid any mishaps with spinning propellers or generally catching on things. I put the wires down my sleeves which is a bit awkward to do but works well. I usually do it at home before setting out.

I'm also an advocate these days of only going flying if the temperature is in double figures but if it's very dry and still it can be comfortable at much lower temperatures I find.

Geoff

Geoff would you have a link or the make / supplier of the gloves - sound like a good solution ? Thanks Conrad

Looking at my eBay purchase history it seems I bought them on 23 Dec 2017 and they were £11.67. The seller was called SavannahSolutions but they don't have a presence now.

This is what they look like:

heated gloves.jpg

I just did an eBay search for heated fingerless gloves and there were myriad suppliers. I've had a quick look and there are several where the gloves are similar but none with the same heating element. Most are less than a fiver so it's worth a punt regardless. They seem to be supplied for laptop use (outside? or in unheated Chinese not-sweatshops? )

Geoff

Thanks Geoff - will have a look around and do a bit more research on them. Think your last point may well be on the mark !

Conrad

Martin McIntosh22/11/2018 19:33:42
2933 forum posts
1073 photos

Tried some quite a time ago but they only used 3xAAA dry cells! Fitted NiMh`s but they hardly heated at all. Then tried lipos but I think I have burnt them out. Not for actually flying with but to stop my fingers from freezing in between flights. I suffer badly from Reynauds disease which cuts the blood supply to the extremities making them totally numb and of course they only get colder still. An old fuel can to cuddle filled with boiling water is the only way that I can now do any winter flying. Reusable hand warmers work but they keep splitting open.

Braddock, VC22/11/2018 19:44:20
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Have you tried https://srukshop.co.uk/12-silver-gloves-for-cold-hands/

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us