By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Is it possible to create a tiled print out from a pdf file?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Erfolg23/11/2018 16:21:07
11714 forum posts
1309 photos

Is it possible to create a tiled print out from a pdf file? That say it all really.

I have a pdf file on the PC and I want to print it out.smiley

Pete B - Moderator23/11/2018 16:47:43
7641 forum posts
733 photos

Does this help, Erf?

Pete

Gordon Whitehead 123/11/2018 18:57:58
344 forum posts
157 photos

Hi Erf, the program I use for what you want to do is the free Foxit pdf reader download: Foxit pdf reader

It's very versatile. Not only can you tile print, but you can re-scale your plan at the time you print it. I've used it to scale up and tile print a pdf plan I downloaded from Outerzone, and also printed out the Laser engines dimensioned pdf drawings to the correct size. The "comment" button brings up a number of tools, one of which is measuring on screen. Using the measuring function enables you to work out the scale factor you want if necessary.

Another function it'll do is convert other types of file, eg .jpeg etc to .pdf, which you can then process in Foxit.

It takes a bit of experimentation to use it, but it's worth it in the end.

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 23/11/2018 19:00:14

Erfolg23/11/2018 19:47:24
11714 forum posts
1309 photos

Peter beat you to it Gordon, I have downloaded the Adobe Reader.

With these applications it seems I am not the most naturally gifted. Although at least i was lucky with the first download. Adobe loaded itself and then the file I wanted. With a few random button clicks, i recognised I had a tiling application set, it then printed out fine.

Second time was a different story, now the Epson driver suddenly burst into life, it would now print out a A4 version and was most resistant to relinquishing its position. However I did manage to get the second file printed as tiles, using adobe.

Although i have not tried to do anything beyond printing out at 100%, I am sure that there were options to print out at a larger scale. Which could quite well be handy in the future.

Thanks to both Peter and Gordon for taking the time.smiley

Brian Lambert02/12/2018 09:09:20
339 forum posts
6 photos

Will not the poster option from the Adobe reader print menu print tiled pages for plans?

James Green202/12/2018 09:20:47
56 forum posts
16 photos

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=125799

Erfolg02/12/2018 11:57:18
11714 forum posts
1309 photos

Brian the job has now been done, it was done using the poster option.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle is that whatever the application you have already loaded does not want to relinquish its position as the preferred program.

Dave Hess02/12/2018 12:15:12
303 forum posts
18 photos

Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader (if you haven't already). It's free. Open up your pdf in it, select "print" then in the dialogue box are some tabs across the middle, second from the left is "poster". Click that, then choose your scale (100%) and tick the boxes that say "cut marks" and "labels" underneath it, then print.

The cut marks help you to align the panels and the labels help you to order them when there are a lot of pages.

PatMc02/12/2018 12:39:45
4387 forum posts
527 photos

There seems to be an echo in this thread.

Dave Hess02/12/2018 23:42:15
303 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by PatMc on 02/12/2018 12:39:45:

There seems to be an echo in this thread.

Some random noise too.

Nigel R03/12/2018 09:46:47
3756 forum posts
587 photos

The problem I have found with the official adobe acrobat tile print, is that what used to fit on (e.g. a free handout plan) 4 x A4 sheets, now seems to require 10 sheets, in 2 rows of 5. It centres the print across all the sheets with no option to move things around. This is for starters wasteful of paper, a very small wee mosquito of an issue, but also requires an awful lot more sticking together, which can be a complete pain - for my example it should need just three joins but would end up needing thirteen.

Does the Foxit programme allow any flexibility on the tile print?

PatMc03/12/2018 11:28:45
4387 forum posts
527 photos

Nigel, in the printer properties options have you selected "borderless" ?

kc03/12/2018 11:50:52
6427 forum posts
173 photos

The more recent versions of Acrobat allow you to highlight the area to print (e.g. just an airfoil or former or the whole fuselage etc ) and print that, saving printing surrounding useless areas.

Edited By kc on 03/12/2018 11:51:41

Nigel R03/12/2018 12:53:50
3756 forum posts
587 photos

pat, kc, thanks - will try both those things yes

Steven Shaw03/12/2018 14:03:48
362 forum posts
190 photos

To highlight an area in Acrobat use the "Take anapshot" function from the "Edit" dropdown.

pdf print.jpg

Gordon Whitehead 104/12/2018 12:35:44
344 forum posts
157 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 03/12/2018 09:46:47:

Does the Foxit programme allow any flexibility on the tile print?

In Foxit the full tiled layout can be displayed on the screen. You can choose the amount of overlap you want, and registration marks are printed. You can choose portrait or landscape for the sheets to decide which uses less sheets. You can print just the tiles you want. Also you can print just the bit you want by increasing screen scale to display just that section of the drawing which you want to print and clicking print screen (or some such - memory's hazy).

To use the measurement feature you click on comment, then on distance, area etc and pick the scale using the insertion boxes.

When printing an enlargement you need to calculate the % increase and enter it before printing ... every time as it doesn't remember the last scale entered. If you want a 15% plan enlargement, the print scale is entered as 115%. The screen enlargement scale is not what's printed, btw.

It's a year since I used it to produce a tiled print of a 65in span Krier Great Lakes bipe drawing from my original 47in span drawing which is a .pdf on Outerzone. My memory's now a bit hazy, but my free Foxit download v8.0 from a couple of years ago is very versatile and much more so than Acrobat was when I first downloaded Foxit. I hope they haven't "done a Windows 10" and updated it so that it doesn't work as well as my copy any more. Still, it's free so worth a try. You'll need to experiment to find the features I've described.

Gordon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!