Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator29/11/2018 21:19:44
6716 forum posts
189 photos

Available from Amazon....

Tom Sharp 229/11/2018 21:34:47
3464 forum posts
17 photos

Don't forget, use agricultural diesel, Red Diesel low tax. Available at central heating distributers and some filling stations for mowers etc. Not road vehicle diesel which has high tax.

J V R29/11/2018 21:41:44
320 forum posts
62 photos

I've used Eberspacher heaters for quite a few years, now these cheep clones have come onto the market I will get one to keep as a backup heater just in case my heater packs up as they cost around the same price to have my heater serviced by a Eberspacher engerneer.

Gary Manuel29/11/2018 21:55:36
1873 forum posts
1507 photos

Watching with interest. 5KW sounds very appealing to me as winter draws in but there must be a down side to these or we'd all be using them.

Garage round corner from me sells red diesel smiley

PeterF29/11/2018 22:03:46
407 forum posts
566 photos

The reason is that an Eberspacher or similar unit that does the same duty costs £750 so they were never really an option due to cost, now you can get Chinese clones for £150 so they have become viable.

J V R29/11/2018 22:15:25
320 forum posts
62 photos

PeterF

Yes you are right, my eberspacher I picked up was very cheep and it has worked well for quite a few years but is beginning to show a few faults but it has run in excess of 1400 hours so far...

Time to have a back up plan so will look into getting one, just incase

Edited By J V R on 29/11/2018 22:17:28

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap29/11/2018 22:16:14
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi all. Just as a follow up - if you look at both Banggood and AliExpress and search for diesel air heater parts you will find most available at a very reasonable price - OK it’s not the shop round the corner and your order will take time to come but the parts are there. There are unknown factors in buying this heater - how long will it last of course but that I can’t answer except to say I looked at what parts were available before I bought the unit to cover my back as far as I could. The technology has been around for ages and works so I jumped and so it seems have many others now but beware there is a shortage which is why I ordered from Amazon in the end as I had no luck on eBay. Hope this info answers some questions you may have had. Regards Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap29/11/2018 22:21:25
856 forum posts
112 photos

WOW THATS 583 DAYS OF CONTINUOUS USE.

Piers Bowlan29/11/2018 22:23:18
1826 forum posts
44 photos

I can see many modellers investing in one of these, especially when trying to heat a large shed or double garage. Five Kw is a lot of heat and I would also invest in a good fire extinguisher or fire blanket in case it went AWOL. Useful things to have in ones modelling den in any event. Thanks for sharing Peter.

J V R29/11/2018 22:25:03
320 forum posts
62 photos

PB

Thats spread over around 6/7 years of winter shed time I like to work in tee shirts and shorts...

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap29/11/2018 22:32:13
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Piers. They are sealed combustion chamber units so no chance for escaping flames. I have invested in a carbon monoxide unit just in case but it shows zero in the shed. The exhaust pipe is stainless steel and I have taken a reading on the exhaust and it maxed out on my meter at 280c which is the highest it will record... As it’s basically a heat exchanger unit there are no flames to worry about to set our planes alight. You need to fit a silencer onto the unit which makes it sound just like a faint jet turbine engine... Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 22:33:30

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap29/11/2018 22:34:55
856 forum posts
112 photos

JVR - Sounds great to me...

Josip Vrandecic -Mes30/11/2018 11:08:40
2991 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Peter ,you are a worthy and expert man, whom I especially respect ... I want all of your upcoming Winters to be warm and comfortable.face 1enlightened

Piers Bowlan30/11/2018 12:05:25
1826 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 22:32:13:

Hi Piers. They are sealed combustion chamber units so no chance for escaping flames. I have invested in a carbon monoxide unit just in case but it shows zero in the shed. The exhaust pipe is stainless steel and I have taken a reading on the exhaust and it maxed out on my meter at 280c which is the highest it will record... As it’s basically a heat exchanger unit there are no flames to worry about to set our planes alight. You need to fit a silencer onto the unit which makes it sound just like a faint jet turbine engine... Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 22:33:30

My only slight reservation and concern is what might happen if the fan should fail, the fan sounds like it is working quite hard from this video although I stress it is not your specific unit although the mechanics of it look similar. Perhaps it has a thermal cut out to switch off the fuel pump should it over temp. Without the fan I would guess that the combustion chamber gets rather hot (incandescent). Alternatively perhaps the burner flame would extinguish if it didn't have the forced air supply from the fan? It looks like a first class unit but it is not the type of thing I would be tempted to leave running while I popped into the house to make a brew.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 12:42:01
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Josip. Always a pleasure to hear from you and how about that heater for you as you get a lot colder there... Regards Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 12:56:09
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Piers. The unit is fully protected and it takes a few minutes to start because of the checks the processor makes before the fuel is pumped and only after all is confirmed working does the gloplug come on. Even if the battery can’t supply the Amps required for the gloplug it will shut down. As I said before these units are used legally in boats trucks, vans, campers all over the world and truckers go to sleep with them on and with some the ticking of the fuel pump sends them to sleep while others it almost drives them insane in the quite cab. Failure of the fan while under combustion would put the flame out straight away as it’s the fan that provides the air flow for the flame - also the fan speed controls the pump speed so no fan = no pump and the flame is immediately extinguished. The resident heat in the unit is the only issue in the case of a breakdown however if it’s been installed correctly the heat contained can’t exceed what the unit operates at anyway. The controller gives a lot of error codes when a fault is detected which also give an insight into what component to look at. I hope my explanation helps answer your question. Regards Peter

Martin Harris30/11/2018 13:08:12
8740 forum posts
214 photos

As it runs on external air so not really any loss of efficiency due to recirculation, could the main unit be located outside the workshop (in a suitable enclosure to keep the weather/inquisitive fingers off) and vent the hot air in via a short duct? Might add a layer of safety...

Piers Bowlan30/11/2018 13:49:27
1826 forum posts
44 photos

Yes it does Peter, very comprehensive and reassuring. I am considering getting a small cruising sailing boat for the occasional overnight stop but it can be pretty miserable waking up in a cold damp boat. I recently read a review in PBO magazine about installing one of these diesel units in a small boat but that one cost £700! Here is a link to a video, I guess the guts of your unit are pretty similar.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 14:23:46
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Piers. The video you refer to is the same as the unit I have in the case but I wanted a “plug an play” version which is almost what mine is however for space saving the separate units can be pugged up anywhere and do the job. I think for boat installation you have to use copper pipe to suppl the fuel and perhaps a steel container for the diesel to conform to the insurance company standards but that’s it as far as I know. Good luck and stay warm - Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 14:33:59
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin. If you wish you can install it outside in an enclosure which would also reduce the noise. A chap in in the Scottish highlands I read uses three diesel heaters to heat his home and they are powered by batteries which are charged by solar panels which still charge the batteries enough on the dullest shortest day’s. He took this action as he was fed up with the power cuts and boiler breakdown where no one could get to him quickly so by using 3 heaters if one packs up he still has heat from the other two. He installed the units externally as you are suggesting and seem it works for him but I think it was to reduce the noise level not because of any fire risk. There should be no reason for you not to do it as well. Another advantage of having it outside is that there is less chance to spill the diesel because it’s one thing I take my time over - re-filling the fuel tank as I don’t like the smell... Regards Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us