Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Itís Fantastic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Cheal30/11/2018 15:49:58
210 forum posts
53 photos

Hi Peter

My "shed" is a "detached' double garage (no cars of course) and it is freezing in the winter months. I have tried fan heaters etc and like you found them pretty useless (unless you are in the direct hot air path). Thus, I am very grateful that you have posted the information here, and its an ideal time to by one for Santa to deliver. You mention silencers, but I haven't found one on the internet yet, do you have a link to where one might get a silencer for the unit.

Best wishes

Tim

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 18:59:15
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Tim. Tried to do a link but it didn’t work - go to Banggood.com and type in “diesel heater silencer” and you will find it comes together with a better air filter and tubes. Regards Peter

supertigrefan30/11/2018 19:08:08
687 forum posts
5 photos

This looks like a good option if you only want the workspace heated whilst you're in it, the technology has been around for years in fact Saab used the same sort of thing to pre heat the cabin in the 9-5. If you need the space heated full time then it doesn't appear to work out that cheap; the heater consumes 0.2 litre per hour, red diesel costs 99p per litre, surely over 24hrs it's cheaper to run an electric, oil filled radiator?

Edited By supertigrefan on 30/11/2018 19:09:05

Don Fry30/11/2018 19:13:31
3144 forum posts
38 photos

Supertigrefan has a point. Fuel use of .2 litre an hour has no reference, to heat a rabbit hutch by y degrees above ambient, or the Albert hall. Or is it the maximum burn rate of the burner.

Edited By Don Fry on 30/11/2018 19:16:21

Martin McIntosh30/11/2018 20:01:19
2676 forum posts
998 photos

Just looking at this thread. I built my wooden shed about 17 years ago. It is from tongue and groove then a dpm and with 1" foam insulation and white faced hardboard. 5m x 3m x 2.5m at the apex. I originally heated it with a Calor gas fire but this only worked whist it was on of course and did not protect my glues and paints etc. The cost of the gas is now eye watering so I got an oil filled radiator instead and this can be left on all the time at a frost free setting for little cost overnight. I bought another smaller one as well and the shed can now be heated to a working temperature in about 10 mins. Compared with the cost of building models and heating the house this is minimal.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 20:09:33
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi all. Diesel heater Comes on at first and kicks out a whopping 5kW of fast moving hot air and as soon as the inside temperature at the heater inlet reaches your set temperature you put into the controller it reduces in fan speed and fuel consumption right down to a miser rate. That’s what I wanted - to be able to work in the shed in comfort for a few hours - with electric it just didn’t happen and it was too long in the cold and by the time it warmed up it was time to pack up. Electric never worked for me and now the wife has seen what it does I have had to order one for her craft cabin because she had exactly the same issue - but being a woman she turned the heater on about an hour before she went up there so that was about 46p down the pan before she even got in there. This diesel heater heats up your space very quick by hitting it hard with heat - no condensation just a nice warm environment to work. I just wish I had found out sooner. Regards Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 20:16:27
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin - I tried a Calor portable fire in the shed but used it only twice because after finding my bench vice dripping with water I realised that one of the combustion products is water - and loads of it. I now have it for sale with an almost full gas bottle for £45 but don’t use it in your shed as your models will get mildew!

Gary Manuel30/11/2018 20:34:28
1786 forum posts
1507 photos
Posted by supertigrefan on 30/11/2018 19:08:08:

This looks like a good option if you only want the workspace heated whilst you're in it, the technology has been around for years in fact Saab used the same sort of thing to pre heat the cabin in the 9-5. If you need the space heated full time then it doesn't appear to work out that cheap; the heater consumes 0.2 litre per hour, red diesel costs 99p per litre, surely over 24hrs it's cheaper to run an electric, oil filled radiator?

Edited By supertigrefan on 30/11/2018 19:09:05

If diesel costs 99p / litre and consumption is 0.2 litres per hour, the cost for 24 hours will be 0.99 x 0.2 x 24 = £4.75.

Electricity cost about 15p per kWh. To compare eggs with eggs, you need to assume that you are using a 5KW heater. 5kW for 24 hours would be 5 x 24 x 0.15 = £18.

Even a more typical 2KW electric heater would cost 2 x 24 x 0.15 = £7.20.

I have assumed that both types of heater would be running at full 5kW output for the full 24 hours. In practice, both heaters would be thermostatically controlled, so the cost of both types would be much lower.

The diesel heater looks to be the cheapest option to me - by a factor of about 4.

P.S. Specs of the diesel heater linked at the top of page 2 of this thread say 0.1 litres / hour - not sure where your 0.2 litres / hour is from. It doesn't state what average output power this is delivering though, so I'd take all the figures with a pinch of salt.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 20:53:00
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Gary. I was not too worried about the running costs myself as I just wanted something that would hit my shed hard with a lot of heat initially so I could work up there and the diesel heater fits that bill. I ordered up one for my friend Dave who now has his running and is also over the moon with his as he had the same problem that the electric just took too long. Wife came into my shed and demanded she should have one as well and I can assure you all the little lady is only concerned about results not running costs. And just to cap it all I can’t run a 5kW fan heater in my shed as the cables might be heating up as much as the fan heater... regards Peter

supertigrefan30/11/2018 21:08:09
687 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 30/11/2018 20:34:28:

P.S. Specs of the diesel heater linked at the top of page 2 of this thread say 0.1 litres / hour - not sure where your 0.2 litres / hour is from. It doesn't state what average output power this is delivering though, so I'd take all the figures with a pinch of salt.

0.2 l/ph came from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Air-Diesel-Heater-5000W-4-Holes-LCD-Monitor-PLANAR-For-Trucks-Boats-Bus-Car/292798263964?epid=22026503897&hash=item442c22f29c:g:mmMAAOSwxtVb7mny&redirect=mobile

So is it 0.1, 0.2 or none of them?

Edited By supertigrefan on 30/11/2018 21:08:47

Gary Manuel30/11/2018 22:02:21
1786 forum posts
1507 photos
Posted by supertigrefan on 30/11/2018 21:08:09:

So is it 0.1, 0.2 or none of them?

Who knows, but I'm willing to take the chance. That's my Christmas present to myself sorted.

Also ordered THIS silencer to go with it.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/11/2018 22:28:10
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi all - recon once mine is up to temperature and the units ticking over at around 2+kW output at a guess the consumption is about .2 of a ltr an hour - either way I have been up my shed loads and only topped it up today with around 4 ltrs. I hope you (and my wife) get the heater before Christmas. Regards Peter

Martyn K30/11/2018 22:48:42
4789 forum posts
3468 photos

In my shed I have a oil heater running as an anti frost device. Keep the shed (13x8) dry. This is set to its lowest setting (no1 of 3) with the thermostat set as low as it can go. When its really cold, I have a 3 bar 1.8kw halogen radiant heater sat on the bench. I very rarely have more than one bar on. The fact is, my shed is far warmer and easier to keep warm that my brick garage that is attached to the house.

Martyn

Tim Cheal30/11/2018 23:08:35
210 forum posts
53 photos

Thanks Peter, and Gary

I shall be writing my letter to Santa and putting it up the fireplace first thing in the morning.

This has been a great thread, thanks again.

Tim

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap01/12/2018 00:18:15
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Tim. Good luck to you for getting it at Christmas but remember that there has been a hell of a run of these this year. Most of the suppliers it seems take your money but can’t supply by the delivery date they give so you get a refund and start again which is why I went to Amazon in the end but that was my bad luck as many others got theirs with no problem so I do wish you good luck. Regards Peter

supertigrefan01/12/2018 08:54:46
687 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 01/12/2018 00:18:15:

Hi Tim. Good luck to you for getting it at Christmas but remember that there has been a hell of a run of these this year. Most of the suppliers it seems take your money but can’t supply by the delivery date they give so you get a refund and start again which is why I went to Amazon in the end but that was my bad luck as many others got theirs with no problem so I do wish you good luck. Regards Peter

Some sellers on eBay are stating that it may arrive after Christmas however if they are stating a UK supply and taking your money knowing they have no stock I'd be tempted to use the "Report Item" facility.

Edited By supertigrefan on 01/12/2018 08:55:54

Devcon101/12/2018 09:22:23
1341 forum posts
472 photos

I have a 5x8 metre timber framed shed fully insulated with 60mm Celotex in the walls and 100mm in the flat roof, floor is double layered 18mm treated board with a thin sandwich of radiator insulation.

I use a small oil filled radiator which is connected to my Hive network via a smart plug with various timer settings. For example during a weekday I have it come on for short periods just to keep the temp topped up.

With the remote access via the Hive app I can turn the rad on or off if my plans change. For a bit of fun I've put smart bulbs and a motion sensor in so all my shed lighting is fully automatic now.

I've got a decent size flat screen TV in the shed and once I'm in there between me, the TV and the kettle we generate enough heat to to overide the oil radiator.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap01/12/2018 10:30:18
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Tim. I am sure eBay are aware of what’s going on as it has happened to so many and full refunds have been given and just to give an idea this is what I had these are saved communication replies after chasing my order...

The usual shipping will take about 4-9 workdays.
We are so sorry to keep you wait.

Could you please help us check whether this address is correct or not (address removed by me)

We are contacting the shipping company for more information.
If we confirm you item is lost, we will give you good solutions without hesitation. OK?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Truthfully, ——— Then after all that I get this —— Thanks for your order and fast payment . But we find some quality problem of our goods..
All items has been return to the factory .
Sorry for this trouble. Maybe you need it in special day or really like our item .
We don't want to let you upset ,just try too make sure you could get what you expect .
So how about we refund you first ?
Really sorry for that ,
Waiting for your reply - just got refund and ordered from Amazon

Regards Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap01/12/2018 10:41:33
837 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Devcon. Sounds like a great set up I have a very small TV in my shed which is very rarely used because while working there I don’t get a lot of time to look up but I do have the radio on good old Radio 4 almost all the time. My heating requirements were different to yours as I can’t plan a time so I grab anything from a couple of hours to an afternoon so as it’s all unplanned the only option for me is to either keep the heating on low all the time with a boost when I go in - which works out expensive or the solution I have posted here - hit it hard with heat so I can work within around 15 minutes at around 16c and climbing fast when it’s 6.8c outside... Different solution for same problems. Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 01/12/2018 11:09:54

Piers Bowlan01/12/2018 12:49:06
1651 forum posts
41 photos

I had a ship-lapped 10X12ft wooden shed at my previous house which was freezing in the winter until I insulated it with celotex like Devcon1 has his. It made a remarkable difference and just a small electric convector heater was enough to make it warm and cosy. Well worth the time and investment.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us