Forum sponsored by CML

Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Itís Fantastic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap30/12/2018 16:56:35
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi again. Information I have is only what I have read or in conversation with drivers but I suspect the major reason for the shortage is simply because it’s the time of the year it gets cold. Also another most important factor is the daft price as the original German design (the Chinese one is a copy) is around 5 times more... Sorry it wontdo your shop but it’s fantastic for my shed and my wife’s craft cabin... Regards Peter

Martin McIntosh31/12/2018 11:11:09
2785 forum posts
1045 photos

Mine arrived today at long last.

But, trust me to be the person to get a bad one. Although the box it came in looked OK, inside was a very different story. The base plate is very badly damaged, as are several of the clips. The exhaust pipe is chipped but would work.

The `instruction book`, and I use the term lightly, is for the 2kW version, only showing a picture near the back of two different display panels, one of which is similar to mine. No clues as to how to use the buttons.

Obviously I shall have to contact the seller and get it replaced/refunded but I doubt if another would arrive while I still need it this winter.

rcaddict31/12/2018 11:42:58
506 forum posts
14 photos

all very interesting but cant help thinking that the £150 price tag would buy you circa 600 hours of continuous 2kw electric fan heater - i think

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap31/12/2018 11:55:21
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin. Sorry to hear about your issues but I have to say that all three of the heaters I have had delivered did have bent base plates but as they could all be bent back by hand I never felt it was a problem for me. Regarding instructions - or lack of them. I found YouTube to be the best advice learning from others who had been there before. So here is a good link. **LINK** I also look at the files in The Chinese Diesel Heater Site on Facebook as the files section is great for help although please bear in mind it’s a help forum and as with them all you have to use your own intelligence to pull out the correct information from misinformation... one thing most important once you get it going is to always put it up to high for at least five minutes before you shutdown as this prevents sooting and also don’t play with the settings as they are far from straightforward and are a recipe for disaster for the twiddles- just like Windows can be to that mouse click with people who click first & think after. Keep in touch and I will help any way I can. Regards Peter

John Rudd31/12/2018 11:59:09
96 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by FlyinBrian on 30/12/2018 08:31:28:

Peter

Sorry have not read whole thread but how controllable are these heaters, can you keep them running all the time at a low setting? say 10 ceg C to prevent damp and condensation.

Ta

The heaters are not designed for low turn down....doing so causing them to carbon up due to the lower temperatures....hence the minimum 2kw setting..

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap31/12/2018 15:32:25
856 forum posts
112 photos

Thanks for doing the reply John. Spot on.

Marc Osbourne04/01/2019 18:13:54
55 forum posts
4 photos

Hi guys, we have got one of the 5kw heaters coming for our own workshop, what is everyone using as a 12v power supply other than a 12v battery of course, any ideas for a 240v to 12v transformer etc that could be used instead?

Gary Manuel04/01/2019 20:11:01
1831 forum posts
1507 photos
Posted by Marc Osbourne on 04/01/2019 18:13:54:

Hi guys, we have got one of the 5kw heaters coming for our own workshop, what is everyone using as a 12v power supply other than a 12v battery of course, any ideas for a 240v to 12v transformer etc that could be used instead?

I'm using one of THESE. It works perfectly.

My heater is under a bench with the inlet and exhaust going straight through the wall behind the bench. This made filling it with diesel pretty tricky. What I've done is to fit a 10 litre fuel tank to the side of the bench, making it much easier to see the fuel level and fill it as well as having a larger tank. The power supply is now fitted inside the case where the original 5 litre tank used to be.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap04/01/2019 22:08:58
856 forum posts
112 photos

NHi Marc. The unit Gary has is great and also has an adjustable pot on the side so you can wind up the voltage to 13.7v and at anything over 15Amps is ideal. hope this helps Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 04/01/2019 22:13:27

Martin Harris05/01/2019 21:14:29
8478 forum posts
212 photos
Posted by Engine Doctor on 29/12/2018 17:33:35:
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/12/2018 17:16:49:

I've taken the plunge too. I have a Royal Mail tracking number from a seller in Liverpool...fingers crossed for the ETA of Monday week but the Royal Mail tracking site isn't giving me any info yet - although I've been using things for days before getting any updates from them in the past!

I have just just ordered one from a firm in Liverpool as well, priced at £159.99 . Expected delivery is 8th to 10th of Jan . I wont be holding my breath though. I ordered one from a Manchester based firm early in December at £142.99 and noticed that all others on e-bay were then costing £150 plus .I had a refund just before Christmas probably as they didn't want to sell for the lower price . Excuse was that new stock was faulty ?

P.S If its not here by mid January then no hope as its Chinese new year and everything closes down for a week or so

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/12/2018 17:40:32

Well, I suspect that mine might be in the dodgy trader boat (literally as well as figuratively...)

After several days, nothing had changed on the tracking page so I checked with Royal Mail and the tracking number was unrecognised. I raised the matter with the seller, who stated he'd check with the courier and update me within 48 hours. I did get an update, telling me nothing but asking me to be patient but not to worry as they would resolve any problems...hmmm...

I took a firmer line and told them that I suspected that the stock in Liverpool didn't exist and that I would be reporting the matter to Ebay unless they could supply me with a valid tracking number or refund my money immediately. The reply was that they had sent it by Yodel.

As the expected delivery was shown as early next week, I told them I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and hold off raising a dispute until the window has expired. I fully expected to be doing so on Wednesday evening.

Except that I idly clicked on the Royal Mail tracking site this evening (left it in an open tab) and the tracking number is now active as of 2 pm today and showing as "item in preparation" for 48 hour tracked delivery! I know I'm not out of the woods but I do wonder if they have sourced one in the UK to get to me in time to head off a dispute case?

...and to cap it all, the silencer arrived from a different seller today and despite the picture, it's the central straight through tube type one. It might be that it's designed to damp the exhaust vibrations (it feels like there could be some packing) but as far as I can see there's no holes to allow expansion. Sooting up shouldn't be a problem though! Has anyone used this type or are we assuming that they are ineffective?

Martin McI or ED - any sign of yours yet?

Martin Harris05/01/2019 22:43:41
8478 forum posts
212 photos

Whoops - forgot yours had come Martin - have you run it yet?

Marc Osbourne05/01/2019 23:35:50
55 forum posts
4 photos

Gary, Peter, thanks! They were very similar to what I was looking at, I will get one ordered!

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/01/2019 09:50:19
856 forum posts
112 photos

ADVICE. I know a number have ordered the heaters and once you have them up and running please don’t try to alter the settings of fuel to air mixture with the LCD. It’s a lot more complicated than you know and usually results in a non starting sooted up unit or at least fault codes coming up on the controller which aren’t easy to cure. In short no working unit.

So leave well alone and if it gets too hot in your shed either turn the heater off or open a door and let some of the heat out but don’t think you can reduce the heat output of your heater by playing with the settings... It does NOT work. Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 09:51:47

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 09:52:34

Engine Doctor06/01/2019 10:42:20
2205 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Martin .No sign yet ! Supposedly it's been dispatched and a tracking number issued but nothing on there yet !! Possibly a fake tracking number ? Delivery date is 10 the to 12 the Jan so to issue a tracking no nearly a fortnight before is odd . We will see in the next few days .

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/01/2019 10:44:01

Martin McIntosh06/01/2019 12:04:03
2785 forum posts
1045 photos

Having big problems with the seller. Messaged him to report the damage and asked for a replacement or refund. Would you believe he denies selling it to me, and wanted a screenshot of the transaction, something I have never been successful with.

I contacted paypal just to confirm that payment had indeed been made to him. We agreed that sending him the item and pp transaction No. should suffice. He now refuses to reply to my messages so I gave him until yesterday to respond otherwise I would have no option other than to open a dispute, which I shall do tomorrow.

So don`t buy from Magicangels/Huangzifeng.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/01/2019 12:53:11
856 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin. Hope is was not Million Billion as I understand he is not selling them now - perhaps he has had his wings clipped by eBay / PayPal... either way your protected by eBay but you could do without the agro.

Former Member06/01/2019 13:08:51
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/01/2019 13:16:18
856 forum posts
112 photos

P.S. The answer is stated in above - open a door or window...

Gary Manuel06/01/2019 13:29:57
1831 forum posts
1507 photos

I'm not sure where the 2kW minimum setting has come from.

The specs I've read for the 5kW heater show the HEAT OUTPUT as 4kW maximum down to 900W minimum.

If 900W is too much then you need a different type of heater. I can't agree with the concept of leaving the heater on but opening the door / window to let the heat escape.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 06/01/2019 13:32:00

Martin McIntosh06/01/2019 13:48:37
2785 forum posts
1045 photos

I really do hope that I am protected by Paypal. I once had to open a dispute when I bought a used 12V TV. The few bits of cardboard it had been wrapped in did not stop the rain and water poured out. Unfortunately some idiot on goods in signed for it. Paypal told me to send it back at my expense. They then deemed it case closed leaving me with no TV and £40 lighter. Hope things have changed since then.

By the way, this one states that it is adjustable between 5 and 1kW. They had better be since I am heating a 5x3m shed not a hangar.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us