Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Itís Fantastic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris06/01/2019 13:58:55
8219 forum posts
206 photos
Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 12:53:11:

Hi Martin. Hope is was not Million Billion as I understand he is not selling them now - perhaps he has had his wings clipped by eBay / PayPal... either way your protected by eBay but you could do without the agro.

No - mine goes by the name "aokaifushi" and has sold some of these heaters with good feedback about fast delivery - although not perfect with some negatives. I'm hoping he wants to stay in with Ebay as he's approaching 23000 sales...there was certainly a change in status of the Royal Mail tracking number shortly after I gave him a deadline for opening a dispute - it remains to be seen whether this will be followed up by the heater actually being dispatched!

On the positive side, message responses have been fairly quick.

I know Ebay/Paypal have attracted some negative comments (particularly from sellers regarding their charges and conditions) but they do have a good track record when it comes to dealing with buyers' problems.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/01/2019 19:38:23
838 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Gary. Advertised at all different ratings but at the end of the day they are a furnace and the fuel / air mixture controls the heat output and for the same unit if you put in more fuel and air youget more heat output but you don’t have an infinite control as the operating window for correct combustion is relatively narrow. I use the advertised 5 kw heaters for both my wife’s craft cabin and my shed and as such I have the advantage that I can warm up both quickly with a lot of heat the heater then cuts back after the set temperature is reached but this time factor depends on the outside temperature and how hot you set the temperature inside. The comment I made was to either switch the heater off a while or open a door or window which is not an issue. If you had an electric heater you have a choice of altering a stat or turning it off so little difference between the two systems except the diesel system is considerably less cost to run. At the end of the day the choice is yours as of course you don’t have to buy one... The idea of this post was to inform people of a good simple cost effective system but it won’t be to everyone’s liking. Regards Peter

Martin Harris09/01/2019 23:56:41
8219 forum posts
206 photos

I may yet be warm in my workshop...

11:29 Your item has reached Home Counties North MC and will now be sent to your local delivery office.

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap10/01/2019 00:02:07
838 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin. Hope it all comes in OK as it’s a long way from China and that’s a lot of throwing about... Fingers crossed for you. Regards Peter

Martin Harris10/01/2019 10:47:17
8219 forum posts
206 photos

Thanks Peter, I should know later today - tracking indicates arrival within 4 hours of now.

A word of warning for others interested - the silencer I ordered (carefully selecting one with offset pipes indicating a baffled type) came as a central pipe straight through version. The good news is that the seller has refunded my Paypal so I now have to try to locate a baffled one. At least I can do a comparative test when I get the right type!

Any recommendation where I can get the baffled one from?

Gary Manuel10/01/2019 11:26:58
1788 forum posts
1507 photos

Martin

THIS one is a proper baffled one. I can't guarantee that you will receive exactly the same type as mine but I can guarantee that mine is a good un'. It arrived about 1 week after ordering.

Martin Harris10/01/2019 13:25:22
8219 forum posts
206 photos

Thanks Gary. Good news is that my heater seems intact other than an as yet unidentified rivnut and screw in the bottom of the package. Going flying now but hopefully I'll have it installed and running tomorrow!

Martin McIntosh10/01/2019 14:36:37
2697 forum posts
1004 photos

That silencer is the one depicted, but did not arrive with, the u/s unit I have. Still awaiting a reply from the PP resolution centre but they have to give the seller 10 days.

Martin Harris12/01/2019 11:49:28
8219 forum posts
206 photos

The rivnut was one of the heater unit mounting base fixings - one other was slightly loose but otherwise all was well. The unit gave me a moment of concern while demonstrating it to 'er indoors last night - I got a glow plug error code but realised that the battery I was testing with was too low...a different battery cured that. I do have a 26A power supply (sitting by my 3D printer anticipating the failure of the supplied PU!) which I may use eventually - possibly using it as a float charger across a battery in case of power failure/meltdown problems on a sudden shut down - the internal heat exchanger shows up to 200 degrees C although there's a reasonable air gap to the casing around it.

The straight through silencer does make a small difference but I've ordered the Banggood one as linked by Gary - the air intake filter makes a large one! It reminds me how much noise I used to get from my velocity stacks on my Bonneville - which drowned the sound of the exhausts when opening the throttle hard!

First impressions are very favourable with fast warm up of the air in my only semi-insulated concrete double garage/workshop. Time will tell regarding economy and reliability but thanks for putting me onto these heaters Peter.

Martin Harris12/01/2019 11:53:52
8219 forum posts
206 photos

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/01/2019 11:54:26

Marc Osbourne12/01/2019 12:02:05
53 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Martin, we are still waiting for ours to arrive, I ordered two heaters, one for grumps, (my father) and one for myself. I also ordered two of those mufflers as linked to by Gary, it seems they have run out of UK stock now as they had 3 left in stock yesterday and none today! I too will be reporting back on how good these heaters are, it seems that a friend of ours is now interested in one now that my dad has told him about it! This link is to the heater which I have bought:

https://www.banggood.com/12V-5KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-4-Holes-All-In-1-LCD-Thermostat-for-Trailer-Truck-Car-p-1368620.html?p=6J161816237002201711&custlinkid=117256

I know theyre on ebay, but they seem to all come from china anyway!

Martin Harris12/01/2019 12:31:56
8219 forum posts
206 photos
Posted by Marc Osbourne on 12/01/2019 12:02:05:

I also ordered two of those mufflers as linked to by Gary, it seems they have run out of UK stock now as they had 3 left in stock yesterday and none today!

Ha! I noticed it said 1 in stock when I ordered the last one...

If anyone else is looking, these seem to be the same as the Banggood one

One thing I've noticed is that using the inbuilt temperature setting results in an early drop back to the low setting - in my installation with the exhaust pipe routed straight out through the wall behind, after a few minutes running this morning, the fan intake was at 16 degrees when the air temperature in the workshop was around 11 degrees. It looks like the sensor is fairly accurate as I'd set the thermostat to 16 degrees but in order to heat up efficiently, I'll need to set the unit above the desired air temperature, at least during warm up.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/01/2019 12:37:44

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap12/01/2019 13:01:58
838 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin. 👍So pleased you got there in the end and it’s only genererally transit problems that seem to arise but most are easily cured by modellers who can all straighten a bit of bent metal or a clip that’s come undone. Other thing I have found was the front four outlet cover on the case was out on one side and although it had only become unlatched there was no hot air escaping and it was discovered after I did the video but it shows as always the importance of a pre inspection before flight! You have already discovered the importance of a good power supply and usually people don’t understand that the unit takes time to prime with fuel which is another cause for the error code showing on the display. Our two heaters together with the one I ordered for my friend Dave have so far been faultless and have enabled all of us to work in comfort - to get up to the shed and do some work and potter about when I have a few hours is great with a quick warm up from the heater.🔥🔥🔥🥵🥵🥵

I always put the heaters up to full 5kW of power for five minutes before I shut the units down so if there has been any soot build up within the combustion area while is been running on low after the set temperature was reached inside it will (hopefully) be burnt off. One other thing that’s become clear is that often owners have played with the LCD controller setting ratio for fuel and air - this could be by accident or perhaps they were not set correctly in the first place however all three units we have had have been faultless so why touch the settings - My friend Dave has used and expensive professional exhaust gas analyser and his showd perfect combustion so no reason to suspect ours were any different.

I am sure you will now be toasty but the fact remains how reliable will they be and that’s like knowing how long a bit of string is so we will find out but on looking at forums the signs are all very good generally. Most parts are available for the heater from a combination of AliExpress and Banggood and that includes motors. You have to be patient while looking at the sites but the parts are there and don’t cost much. Stay warm all and keep the feedback coming.

Regards Peter

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap12/01/2019 13:04:40
838 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Marc. Keep us posted on how you get on. Regards Peter

Martin McIntosh12/01/2019 15:41:55
2697 forum posts
1004 photos

Had a response from PP regarding my dispute. The seller has agreed to refund, BUT, they want me to send it to China at my expense before they pay up! Can you just imagine the cost of this from the UK? Anyway, it was not me who packed the thing in such a way that it got irrepairably damaged in transit and I see no reason why I should end up out of pocket. Now trying to actually speak to someone at PP but this is not easy. I can see this getting very nasty and may need to resort to approaching Visa since they are supposed to protect me as well.

John Rudd12/01/2019 17:13:43
96 forum posts
2 photos

Martin,

This may sound as aggressive action, go straight to Visa, explain the position and let them advise....Paypal are useless...Its not your fault the goods were damaged in whatever way and why should you return it at your expense?

Take no prisoners is my approach...be ruthless...

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 12/01/2019 21:38:56

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap12/01/2019 17:57:45
838 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Martin - I’m so sorry but I thought you had resolved / fixed the problems you had but sounds far worse than I thought. They normally offer you a sum back as a refund which at first is unreasonable but with bartering an amicable price is reached for both parties. In this instance they are being unreasonable expecting you to foot the bill for the return postage which they would never acknowledge as being received anyway so to Visa you should go... Sad

Martin McIntosh12/01/2019 18:27:56
2697 forum posts
1004 photos

Hi both. PP have three days to come back with something more sensible or I shall try Visa. If no luck I shall try MoneyMail who seem to have a lot of success but probably not interested in a small trader.

As I said earlier, I have already caught a cold dealing with PP. When I eventually got to speak to an advisor they were very sympathetic but their hands are tied by the seller who has put a last post by date on the return.

They are dealing with the wrong person here since I can be like a dog with a bone.

Engine Doctor12/01/2019 18:41:25
2164 forum posts
20 photos

Sorry to hear of you continuing problems Martin . Mine arrived today , 1 day later than the stated date at purchase but the was down to the Royal main sending it to Sheerness delivery office . Your obviously buying to many of these on the Island Peter smiley

All looks ok and no apparent damage . Was well wrapped in secure box. Will see if it works ok in the next couple of days but first have to decide where I can fit it asall walls are a bit cluttered with stuff .

Denis Watkins12/01/2019 19:16:43
3455 forum posts
160 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 12/01/2019 18:27:56:

Hi both. PP have three days to come back with something more sensible or I shall try Visa. If no luck I shall try MoneyMail who seem to have a lot of success but probably not interested in a small trader.

As I said earlier, I have already caught a cold dealing with PP. When I eventually got to speak to an advisor they were very sympathetic but their hands are tied by the seller who has put a last post by date on the return.

They are dealing with the wrong person here since I can be like a dog with a bone.

Have just looked up China Post Costs Martin

And truly, your best way forward is to Fix that heater

The lads on here would send you photos and instructions and you would then have your original intention

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us