By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New field needed urgently!!!

New flying field needed in the Newton Aycliffe area.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Robertson 201/12/2018 13:36:48
2 forum posts

Hi guys, I am currently a member of the Newton Aycliffe Model Flying Club near Darlington. The field we have been using for club outdoor activities has been perfect in every way for our needs.

Sadly the landowner has made us aware that he now wishes to use the section of land we had been using for over 25 years to be turned back into general farming use.

This has now left our club in the position of being without a field to fly on. If any of you reading this have or know of a piece of land that might be suitable for our needs then please let me know.

Obviously the plot would have to comply as to distance from roads, property, overhead power lines etc.

At the moment we are as to speak, living on borrowed time with the landowner.

Respectfully yours

Kevin Robertson
(AycliffeFlyer)

Attilio Rausse01/12/2018 15:58:20
106 forum posts

Try offering more money, got to be worth 2k+ per year if its perfect in every way, you may find it very difficult to find the same again.

I notice you have approx 70 members paying £26 per year, maybe ask the members what they are willing to pay £45~£60 is reasonable in this day and age.

We lost our field about 6 years ago probably due to some short sightedness took 9 months to find a new field, club no longer exists.

Good luck

Jon - Laser Engines01/12/2018 16:31:57
4889 forum posts
183 photos

Kevin my club is in a similar position and we took advice from the BMFA. They strongly recommend not posting anything like the above online as it will not score you a new field and is more likely to cause trouble buy alerting those who would wish to oppose a new site being set up. You know what these people are like. They will mobilise a small army of people struck with a bad case of fake outrage going on about all sorts of non issues to prevent it from happening.

Also, dont mention drones. Rightly or wrongly they have a bad rep and many land owners dont want to get involved. Unless asked directly just say your club has both fixed and rotary wing aircraft and leave it at that.

Paul Griffiths 201/12/2018 18:24:49
2 forum posts

Hi Kevin. Can't argue with the previous posts in any way, only to add that we at our club currently pay £85.00 per annum for 2acres of a 6acre field with just over 60 members.

I cannot understand the farmers reasoning to want to return the land to general farming use after 25 years.

When we went hunting for a new sight over the past two years it didn't take us long to find out that the highest amount of revenue for a farmer to realise from one acre of land was no more than £600.00 and this amount has to take into account the time and costs involved to get to reap the crop.

We pay our landlord £1600.00 rent for 11months use (the field is rented out for an event over the August bank holiday)

Attilio has appoint, try and find out from the farmer if he will reconsider by offering more cash before you need to scurry around for a new site.

regards.

Paul.

Percy Verance01/12/2018 19:48:30
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Kevin

I think Atillio has a valid point here. There are several clubs in my area, and all of them - as far as I'm aware - are paying yearly rents in four figures for their sites, with annual membership costs running from £50ish to well in excess of £100, all plus BMFA of course.

I'm not aware of all the facts ( or indeed what you currently pay to rent the field) but to a greater extent money can talk in circumstances like these. Forgive me for saying this, but if you really want to hang onto that field, you're going to have to pay considerably more than at present. And of course the yearly club membership fees will need to reflect this. It appears they don't at the moment........you really need to think in terms of at least doubling the membership fees, with the aim of being able to pay the farmer comfortably more than he can make from farming the land.

I'm sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear, but there we are I'm afraid.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/12/2018 20:30:19

Martin Harris01/12/2018 20:16:09
8947 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/12/2018 16:31:57:

Kevin my club is in a similar position and we took advice from the BMFA. They strongly recommend not posting anything like the above online as it will not score you a new field and is more likely to cause trouble buy alerting those who would wish to oppose a new site being set up. You know what these people are like. They will mobilise a small army of people struck with a bad case of fake outrage going on about all sorts of non issues to prevent it from happening.

Also, dont mention drones. Rightly or wrongly they have a bad rep and many land owners dont want to get involved. Unless asked directly just say your club has both fixed and rotary wing aircraft and leave it at that.

Some good points but in this case, Kevin is posting to potential friends, not opponents. Money does talk in the farming business/community of course and I'd agree this should be the first line of defence...

Percy Verance01/12/2018 20:31:21
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Quite Martin.......

Kevin Robertson 201/12/2018 21:11:22
2 forum posts
Hi guys, thanks for ALL your comments they've been really encouraging. However things are not so simple. A couple of the landowners very close family are extremely unhappy about us being there. The noise from the petrol models was the first stumbling block and it's escalated since then. I fear there is no amount of money will change their minds.
Percy Verance01/12/2018 21:27:28
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Ah, it's a noise issue...........

In which case you may simply have to make speculative approaches to other landowners in the area, being sure to stress that any *inconvenience* will be more than compensated by the rent you'd pay. But again Kevin, I'm afriad you seem to be left with little option but to increase those woefully inadequate membership fees (sorry).

And if you do manage to find another field, get those noisier petrol model owners to buy decent silencers - they are available - but at a cost. A good quality silencer for a petrol engine ( a Krumschied for example) will cost around £150. Sounds a lot, but it's a small price to pay if it means hanging onto your field.......but sadly it seems it's too late in your case.

In today's world there seems to be considerably less tolerance of noise, particularly if it's out of context. I live in a small semi rural village, and I have noticed that even when a noisy rattly old tractor and trailer drive through the village, not an eyelid is raised. But if a youth on a motorbike rides through, all eyes are on them......

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/12/2018 21:28:54

CARPERFECT01/12/2018 21:55:31
491 forum posts
7 photos

If noise is the biggest factor, stop the petrol boys flying, use 4 strokes, Go all leccy until you can find a new field,

Edited By CARPERFECT on 01/12/2018 21:57:11

Percy Verance01/12/2018 22:09:40
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Well I did think that too CARPERFECT, but stopped short of actually saying it. It wouldn't make every member happy of course, but given a choice between flying electric or possibly not at all, it might make any decision slightly easier.......

I do hope they get sorted........

Keith Sharples01/12/2018 22:15:19
136 forum posts
2 photos

The club I'm in have membership of £84 inc insurance per year. We are on a farm field and rent the electric fenced patch for £365 a year, the farmer uses the rest of the field on and off with cows as it's a dairy farm. The down side is we have 6 members so as you can equate the membership does not cover the field rent. The main founder members make up the short fall themselves as they felt if the fee was increased it would loose the ordinary members and finish the club. We how have a bit of a drive on the go for a few more members.

cymaz01/12/2018 22:19:43
8808 forum posts
1195 photos

Have you thought of reclaimed land/ refuse tip? Apologies if you have. We fly off old China clay workings....luckily it’s 100’s of feet of built up waste and rock. Worthless and unstable to put houses on. Millions of rabbits is the only downsideteeth

CARPERFECT01/12/2018 22:41:06
491 forum posts
7 photos

We only fly leccy and 4 stroke at our club, we have a house 150 yds away just down the lane. we never get noise complaints. just the odd time someone flys over his garden lol. but we have a rule about that. and we soon reel them in if they start getting near the house.

stu knowles01/12/2018 23:03:04
574 forum posts
44 photos

Land rents vary but I would say £80 to £150 per acre depending on the quality of the land. If you are looking to rent a field from a farmer you should be prepared to pay a commercial rate.

Percy Verance02/12/2018 09:08:02
8108 forum posts
155 photos

CARPERFECT

That's a fairly easy one to sort. Introduce a No Fly zone around the said house, then anyone who flies over/near it it pays a £5 (or more!) *fine*. Do it more than three times in a year, then you're suspended for a period ...... That ought to focus a few minds.

Flying field preservation must surely take the highest of priorities? It's the be all and end all for a model flying club. We fly in what would be a very noise sensitive site if we flew i.c. Very rural setting, the odd isolated house within a few hundred metres ( presumably chosen as a home because of the peace and quiet), our landowner's (rather upmarket) static caravan park is also within a few hundred metres, although it is behind a hill and cannot be seen from where we actually fly. Needless to say we fly 100% electric through necessity. We wouldn't last one hour if someone fired up a model engine........We have been here for several years now, and I've noticed that not even dog walkers from the nearest village lift their heads as they walk past while we fly.

Piers Bowlan02/12/2018 09:11:13
1905 forum posts
50 photos

Kevin, my first thought, was to put it to the members that the club should to go all electric and hike the annual membership fee to £100. See how many members say they will drop out and then meet the land owners at your patch and demonstrate what a couple of electric models sounds like (not a ducted fan as some of those can be quite noisy). You didn't say how many members your club has but if the club shrinks a bit there won't be so many cars parked on the owners land which might swing it in your favour. Better to have a smaller club than no club. In fact you could try flying electric models straight away if you are still permitted to fly at the moment. If you demonstrate that you are prepared to compromise (and pay more money) there could be a change of heart from the owner.

Keith, where is your Club? A long shot but I would like to join a club down in the Purbecks, Dorset, if one exists. The two clubs nearest me on the BMFA website are about 50mins drive away.sad Alternatively anyone else know of a small group or club flying in the Purbecks? I don't wish to hijack this thread so you can always PM me if you know of one. Thanks.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/12/2018 09:28:34

Cuban802/12/2018 11:44:24
2809 forum posts
13 photos

What a sad story, unfortunately becoming much more common. If you think that your field is 'bombproof' then I'd take care. What a shame that that the club in question has given those unhappy with them, a 'trump card' - namely noise.

In the clubs that I use, cheap petrol engines have caused bother, thankfully without any outside complaints, but clubs have got to get tough with any model that might cause a noise issue. What's particularly galling is that, as has been said, effective silencers are available, but the owners fight shy of laying out the same again on a silencer to replace the standard 'noise maker' can.

Rents and club subs? Both of my clubs are charged around £2000 per field, with subs (minus BMFA) of around the £70 per annum mark. Reality check? expect to pay more and possibly be prepared to travel a bit further to get to a field that's not going to annoy anyone. I have a fifteen minute drive to my afternoon 'during the week' field and a tad under an hour to my Sunday club where I'll spend all day. Make sure that your club has a substantial contingency fund in case money needs to do some 'talking'.

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/12/2018 11:50:44

Andy4802/12/2018 14:16:18
1393 forum posts
1 photos

Why not join Teesside MFC, its only 10 miles away, though further for those that fly helis.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us