Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA Classifieds?.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SIMON CRAGG01/12/2018 17:31:12
404 forum posts
6 photos

I have had fantastic results selling (and sometimes purchasing), via the BMFA classified ads section.

Generally, its modellers all talking the same language etc.

Recently, I had two items for sale.

First item, good as gold, paypal, Hermes & job done.

The second could not have been different!.

All sorts of complications with buyer not having paypal, wanting to send their courier to collect,

Their bank would send the cheque? etc. etc.

I WANT to believe that I have sold the item, and I have not provided any sensitive info........but this has just got to be some sort of complicated scam!.

Anyway, I have pulled the plug on it.

What an earth makes these people tick?.

Trawling through classified ads and coming up with all sorts of spurious stuff.

Anybody else had this sort of thing happen?.

Please watch out for these wasters everybody!.

Stearman6501/12/2018 17:48:58
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 01/12/2018 17:31:12:

All sorts of complications with buyer not having paypal, wanting to send their courier to collect,

Their bank would send the cheque? etc. etc.

I WANT to believe that I have sold the item, and I have not provided any sensitive info........but this has just got to be some sort of complicated scam!.

Anybody else had this sort of thing happen?.

Please watch out for these wasters everybody!.

I had the same thing Friday night, but it wasn't on the BMFA site, My Stinsons for sale on here, LMA, Pre Loved, & Gumtree & the dreaded Craigs List. Yours sounds like a typical Craigs List scammer. I just asked mine to send his UK landline number. He didn't return. However I did sell a bike a couple of years ago on Craigs List. You just have to be careful out there, as they used to say in Hill St Blues. Incidentally I sent a BMFA request to put an add on there, what a palaver, so how are the scammers getting through???

SIMON CRAGG01/12/2018 17:57:13
404 forum posts
6 photos

No idea, just very crafty I suppose. Latest, he is going to get a cheque to me by Tueday for the full amount. Needless to say, nothing is going anywhere until the cheque is well and truly cleared. I will be amazed if this all works out for the good.Pain in the backside that these people are infiltrating our hobby.

kevin b01/12/2018 19:36:55
1652 forum posts
133 photos

Our club Chairman has had a similar experience recently.

This is not a new scam.

If someone offers to buy from you do not accept cheques. Bacs payments are easier, quicker and more secure. If someone is competent working online they will probably have Internet Banking.I do not accept cheques any more for any payment. They can be shown as cleared on your account, but they can still be cancelled several days later.

The BMFA will not forward email details to anyone who is not a member. However at this time of year becoming a member is only a few pounds and is worth it for these people to get access to potentially vulnerable members of the public. Don't forget, many BMFA members are "over a certain age".

I repeat. When selling to someone you do not know, insist on BACS, Paypal, or cash on collection and do not hand you goods over to any courier who cannot provide ID of themselves and the company they work for. Also insist on copies of paperwork.

kevin b01/12/2018 19:40:14
1652 forum posts
133 photos

I would advise you contact the BMFA and give them the details. They may be able to isolate this character and report him to the authorities. The quicker they know the sooner they can act. If they don't know, they won't do anything.

Phil 901/12/2018 19:43:08
4281 forum posts
224 photos

I had a similar experience with a BMFA classified sale. I was staring to get complicated and I had my suspicions something was not right and I cancelled the sale. I sold the item to someone else with a paypal payment and no problems.99.9% of the time it is a great way to buy and sell modelling items but you still need to be careful.

PeterF02/12/2018 09:33:23
407 forum posts
566 photos

I have bought and sold on the BMFA Classifieds but never put a phone number or email address, so the only contact route is via the "ask a question" or "contact" button, whatever it is called, for which you need to be logged in as a member so you have some surety of dealing with a legit modeller. I have always read that if you put your phone or email then that is open to public including the scammers.

kevin b02/12/2018 10:29:50
1652 forum posts
133 photos

Peter.

The current problem is that members are being contacted through the "ask a question" system.

It would appear that this scammer has access to a BMFA member, or has become one just to hit the classified sellers. They don't have to have much success in order to make it worthwhile.

I don't think this is anything new. It was probably inevitable.

SONNY MONKS02/12/2018 10:46:19
269 forum posts

Yes simon,some scammer tried it with me,to no success!

PeterF02/12/2018 16:52:16
407 forum posts
566 photos
Posted by kevin b on 02/12/2018 10:29:50:

Peter.

The current problem is that members are being contacted through the "ask a question" system.

Well that makes things a bit more troublesome, I had not realised this had started to occur. Thanks for the info.

SIMON CRAGG02/12/2018 17:20:36
404 forum posts
6 photos

Has anybody reported these people?

Not sure how the BMFA would / could Police the classifieds against a list of potential scammers.

I think I will report the name of this person, as others might not be quite as "wary" as I am, and even if it only saves one modeller from being ripped off, its got to worth the effort.

What a nightmare all round!

Stearman6504/01/2019 22:20:03
769 forum posts
893 photos

I've been trying to post an add on the BMFA site, I've gone through their registration process, changed my password & got a second email with a link. I've tried a number of times but can't find my way in to post an add. Can someone please explain in simple terms how to place an add, please.

PeterF04/01/2019 23:08:29
407 forum posts
566 photos

There is a menu, one choice is "manage your adverts". On PCs this is at the upper right from memory, on mobile devices it is at the bottom of the page. This gets you to another page which has the option "my active listings" under which is "new classified listing". This gets you to the page to put all the advert details in.

Edited By PeterF on 04/01/2019 23:09:14

Stearman6505/01/2019 00:03:40
769 forum posts
893 photos

Hi Peter

Thanks for the tip. I tried again & somehow managed to get my add listed, the box on the right took me to another box on the left & I managed to get it listed with 2 pictures, which was another toil.

Thanks again.

Eric.yes

Mike T05/01/2019 12:04:05
410 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by kevin b on 01/12/2018 19:36:55:

They can be shown as cleared on your account, but they can still be cancelled several days later.

This isn't the case. Cheque clearing has been revised in the last 18 months or so. The organisation now responsible for clearing cheques operates a '2-4-6' system. See here: **LINK**

Briefly, after 6 working days a cheque is 'cleared' and the money cannot be taken back off you even if the payer's bank subsequently find out the cheque was duff. So as long as you wait 6 working days after depositing, then the money is safe.

Not as immediate as other methods, I agree, but they have their problems too...

GrahamWh05/01/2019 12:46:20
356 forum posts
53 photos

I think it's best to decide on your payment terms, maybe paypal, and stick to them. If they haven't got paypal, they can get it easily enough - everyone else manages it. If they fail to pay in the way you want, they can go somewhere else. End of. No playing around.

They wouldn't be wanting to buy from you if you didn't have what they wanted, so why should you sell to them if they won't pay as you want.

Business is 2 way.

To make it easier, you can include in the advert the fact that you only accept paypal or what ever you are happy with, no exceptions.

SIMON CRAGG05/01/2019 14:45:23
404 forum posts
6 photos

I think the "buzzwords" to be aware of are "My Courier will collect", and "My bank will send you a cheque". Trouble is, we are all keen to sell stuff, and can get a bit too trusting!. Anyway, sold the item to somebody else via the BMFA, good as gold.

Tom Flynn 105/01/2019 15:11:38
72 forum posts
1 photos

I had the same thing, guy was going to buy my plane, and after sending him extra pictures and lots of info. He Then said his courier was going to pick it up, which I was hoping was true as I wanted then sale. He told me a cheque was in the post, then his bank was going to sent a cheque, as he was a salesman and always on his travel. Which by then I didn’t believe, then he wanted my bank details.

So that was that, I contacted BMFA who told me it was a scammer. I wasted a lot of time with the toe rag, but I did sell my plane in the end, a few weeks later.

Most of my sales and purchases have been successful, but you always get one.

Stearman6525/02/2019 21:19:17
769 forum posts
893 photos

Anyone having trouble with the BMFA Classifieds reply service. I've had six emails to different enquiries bounce back as un-deliverable. Sent them an email but just wondered if anyone else had problems.

Denis Watkins25/02/2019 21:58:16
3815 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Stearman65 on 25/02/2019 21:19:17:

Anyone having trouble with the BMFA Classifieds reply service. I've had six emails to different enquiries bounce back as un-deliverable. Sent them an email but just wondered if anyone else had problems.

To happen 6 times is too coincidental

Carefully check the bounce backs that your action inadvertantly has not sent them to yourself

This would cause so many bouncebacks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us