Forum sponsored by CML

What's the best way to uncover a Wots-Wot

Advice please on stripping old film

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil B03/12/2018 21:16:21
87 forum posts
97 photos
Having acquired a very tired Wots Wot ARTF with ASP 80, I am busily refurbishing it. Repairing balsa areas is no problem and I have to rebuild the nose which has become fuel soaked, this falling to bits. The worst problem is getting off the old Chinese thick film covering. The white areas come off cleanly, but for some reason the yellow film has deteriorated so that a transparent clear film comes off, leaving areas of yellow pigment/adhesive. If heated it just melts into the balsa. Sanding works but is time consuming and leaves the balsa with ingrained yellow stains. Is there a solvent that will quickly remove the yellow residues or any other ideas? It seems strange that the ARTF used 2 different qualities of film.
Geoff Sleath03/12/2018 21:35:32
3268 forum posts
251 photos

I think it might be wise not to sand too vigorously because of the possibilty of thinning the balsa sheet too much. If the surface is smooth then you could recover on top of the stained balsa provided you are either using an opaque covering if a different colour or yellow (when the underlying stain won't show). I've never succeeded in removing old film or, at least, the remnants of the old colour 100%.

A coat of Balsalock or thinned PVA will help with adhesion of the new film.

Geoff

leccyflyer03/12/2018 22:40:23
1224 forum posts
297 photos

Don;t use solvent, you'll just drive the colour deeper into the wood.

Try the parcel tape method - that works very well on film that has delaminated as you describe. That's described in an earlier thread - see link below.

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=82334

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us