By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Propellers for Mills .75

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Godwin03/12/2018 21:52:44
2 forum posts

I have just bought a Mills .75 and am having trouble in finding 8x4 propellers to fit. Modern day propellers of this size have a hole for the shaft of around 5 to 6mm whereas the Mills has a shaft diameter of about 3.5mm. Can anyone help with a source? Or perhaps there are inserts for the prop to reduce the bore?

Thanks!

Doug Campbell04/12/2018 10:25:59
78 forum posts
2 photos

In the past I have used a bit of fuel tubing on the shaft to centralise the prop. Not perfect but adequate for the low revs of a mills. Alternatively you could get a sleeve nut made with a 1/4" sleeve.

Bob Cotsford04/12/2018 10:29:25
7579 forum posts
427 photos

APC props come with plastic inserts that will take the bore down to 3mm. What brand are you using?

pS - if you fit an APC prop PLEASE blunt the trailing edge of the blades with wet'n'dry before trying to hand start anything even your Mills.  The props come out of the moulds like razor blades!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 04/12/2018 10:31:25

Peter Godwin04/12/2018 10:58:27
2 forum posts

Thanks gents!

APC props seem to be the way forward. I don't have any prop at the moment, just the "new" Mills and half a dozen old engines I had as a lad. I am just coming back to the hobby after just over 50 years so things have changed a tad! The heads up on the sharp edges is noted, I've forgotten about the pain to come!

Again, thank you both for the help.

brokenenglish04/12/2018 11:03:00
358 forum posts
24 photos

By far the best solution is to buy a few contemporary NOS props that come up frequently on eBay, particularly eBay.com (US).
You should be able to get some NOS or excellent condition Topflite plastic 8x4s very cheaply.

Modern fibre props are likely to be stronger than a Mills crankshaft, with the obvious disastrous consequences...

John Duncker04/12/2018 16:24:28
36 forum posts
7 photos

My Mills 75s original and replicas always seemed happy on a 7 x 4 preferably a Master or Grey Graupner to reduce the chance of bending that vulnerable crankshaft.

As for centralising the prop I used a bit of silicone fuel tubing TOP TIP if the prop wont start on the fuel tubing cut a longer piece that will overhang the propshaft thread. Push the prop on and cut of the excess.

Doug Campbell06/12/2018 09:19:46
78 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 04/12/2018 10:29:25:

APC props come with plastic inserts that will take the bore down to 3mm. What brand are you using?

pS - if you fit an APC prop PLEASE blunt the trailing edge of the blades with wet'n'dry before trying to hand start anything even your Mills. The props come out of the moulds like razor blades!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 04/12/2018 10:31:25

Isnt that just the electric props?

Bob Cotsford06/12/2018 09:22:53
7579 forum posts
427 photos

I'm pretty sure my IC props came with spacers toofrown At least I thought they did but I no longer have any new ones to check.

Martin Harris06/12/2018 09:56:58
8015 forum posts
203 photos

No Bob - I've never seen an APC IC prop supplied with any accessories...and I've bought many in sealed packets as well as loose over the years.

Simon Chaddock06/12/2018 09:59:10
5249 forum posts
2738 photos

Just a point but the nose (the bit with the thread) of the original Mills 75 crankshaft was not hardened as was the rest of it and was intended to bend a bit and could be bent back so the prop ran true again.

At least it was on mine and bent back no problem but I would not recommend it was done repeatedly!

Engine Doctor06/12/2018 11:54:47
2080 forum posts
20 photos

Try putting a wanted add on here and on the BMFA classifieds .They can also be found very cheaply at swap meets or at local club bring and buy meetings . There must be lots of them just lying in a shed around the country .I use wood or Nylon props on my Mills engines as said the crank is the weak point and can snap easily. The APC are still a bit hard/tough near the center and can snap the crank . Apc only supply hub spacers on there electric props and they are not suitable for I/C .

Engine Doctor06/12/2018 14:29:29
2080 forum posts
20 photos

Hobby King have some Turnigy wooden 8 x 4 props this one is made from Cherry but they also have props made from beech wood . Very low prices too .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us