Miss Demeanor Sr

A very semi scale Cassutt for electric power

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Miller06/12/2018 11:22:30
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Many years ago I designed Miss Demeanor, a semi scale Cassutt for .15 engines.

One or two people liked it and about a year ago Erfolg said he wuld like a larger version for electric power.

Havingnothing else that inspired me I enlarged the plans to 45" span which, beieve it or not is roughly 1/4 scale.

In fact this would mean that the fuselage would be 6" wide!!!! I actually slimmed it down from the already non scale 4" wide.

I also decided that I was NOT going to fit spats. I have done a lot of models with spats and they are always a pain.I have found a couple of pictures of Cassutts with spats, one of which is interesting

I have just read that G-CGSU is to be fitted with electric power for full size electric power air racing.

**LINK**

Unfortunately they have now fitted spats.

Anyway. I am going to do an electric Cassutt so even that is scale.

Peter Miller06/12/2018 11:35:24
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

So far I have got the basic fuselage and wing built.

This is the basic fuselage. The lightening holes only made 4 gramss difference so a total waste of time.

The basic frame for the battery hatch is in place. in this shot

1.jpg

Another view of the fuselage

2.jpg

THis shows the undercarriage mounting. You could use an aluminium undercarriage if you can find the right size. I do like an undercarriage that can flex backwards.

3.jpg

THis is the battery platform. Still needs the velcro to hold the battery down. It will take a Turnigy 3000MaH 3S battery with room to spare.

4.jpg

Nose with battery hatch frame

5.jpg

The rear turtle deck is easy, no rolled sheet here

6.jpg

The hatch with the sheet ready to be rolled over the top

7.jpg

The sheet is rolled by wetting the outside surface and apllying heat from a heat gun or even a domestic iron

9.jpg

Peter Miller06/12/2018 11:43:41
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

The wings are very easy. I even bought (by mistake) 48" long wood so I din,t even need to join it.

The bottom leading edge sheet with lower main spar and the trailing edge capstrip and trailing edge laid down. The rib is hjustto check for positioning

10.jpg

The ribs, top spar and 1/8" sheet leading edge fitted. Also tubes for aileron servo leads.

11.jpg

Close up of the centre section showing laminated centre rib and paper tubes. The paper tubes have to be installed before fitting the ribs beyond the end of the tube or you won't get them in without crushing them

12.jpg

And now it will be quite a while before I can do any more. I have been told to avoid dust for a few weeks due to a cataract operation. Very frustrating!!sad

Martyn K06/12/2018 11:47:39
4803 forum posts
3498 photos

Hope the op goes well Peter. Take care and don't get tempted. Your eyesight is far more important

Martyn

Geoff Sleath06/12/2018 13:17:23
3188 forum posts
247 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 06/12/2018 11:22:30:

Many years ago I designed Miss Demeanor, a semi scale Cassutt for .15 engines.

One or two people liked it and about a year ago Erfolg said he wuld like a larger version for electric power.

Havingnothing else that inspired me I enlarged the plans to 45" span which, beieve it or not is roughly 1/4 scale.

In fact this would mean that the fuselage would be 6" wide!!!! I actually slimmed it down from the already non scale 4" wide.

I also decided that I was NOT going to fit spats. I have done a lot of models with spats and they are always a pain.I have found a couple of pictures of Cassutts with spats, one of which is interesting

I have just read that G-CGSU is to be fitted with electric power for full size electric power air racing.

**LINK**

Unfortunately they have now fitted spats.

Anyway. I am going to do an electric Cassutt so even that is scale.

I was taken slightly by surprise when I built my quarter scale Percival Mew Gull last year. Like the Cassutt, it's very small with a 24' wingspan which makes for a relatively modest 72" wing span for quarter scale. However, the fuselage/cockpit still has to accommodate a quarter scale pilot ie about 17/18" tall so the fuselage is, as Peter realised, about 6" wide and surprisingly bulky

I've recently fitted some paper tubes in a wing and found them frustratingly difficult to make. I ended wrapping the paper round a length of dowel in a spiral. It was easier.

Hope your cataract operation goes well Peter. A club member had one recently and was both driving and flying just a couple of weeks (or less IIRC) later with keener eyesight than he'd had for years, so the prognosis is good.

Geoff

Peter Miller06/12/2018 14:07:24
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Thanks folks.

The op was yesterday and was a perfect success, even better than the first one which gave me a cloud for 4 days, after which my optician said I had better than 20-20 vison. This time no cloudiness,

I can drive in four days. Actually I could drive now.

I roll the paper tubes round a small dowel tightly and insert them, then I let them unroll and glue them down with Superphatic glue

Erfolg06/12/2018 17:43:38
11211 forum posts
1103 photos

I have just stumbled upon this thread. I have the version designed by PM a little earlier which is about 33" or there abouts span. It is such a great flier that I am going to build this 1/4 scale version.

I have managed to pursued PM to give me a copy the roughed out drawing, he has used to build the version he is now building.

As Geoff has pointed out, at 1/4 scale the body is quite wide. From the scanty drawing (not the PM version) I have of the Cassutt, which is pretty small, and possibly not scale in that precise dimensions by scaling up is not going to be right. Non the less I have widened the body to 4.5" wide on PMs drawing. My 1/4 scale pilot will need modifying to fit. I am also guessing that there is a variation in 1/4 scale pilots. From what I have read, the Cassutt is a very tight fit (for the pilot) airplane, even for the average male frame. One reference made mention of crossing over the hands to operate some items on the other side of the cockpit.

I think it is a great choice that PM has made, in that there seems to be variations between the Various Cassutts, even of the same model, there are a few variants. I am guessing that the shoulder width determines the cockpit width at shoulder level, then the base of the cockpit width is determined by the builders back side.

Using PMs drawing it seems very possible to keep to the essence of the design, yet modify to the builders whim. This is what i am attempting to do. Just like full size Cassutts seem to be when drawing or perhaps kit built.

As with all mods, you do it at your own risk and often unexpected issues are thrown up.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/12/2018 17:44:12

Peter Miller06/12/2018 18:08:14
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Well mine is more a "look alike" than any pretence of "scale" The side view will look OK but that is about it.

I am guessing that knife edge flight should be pretty good but we shall see,

Paul C.06/12/2018 18:13:26
545 forum posts
123 photos

Great to hear that the op went well , the mother in law had her eyes done last year and was amazed at the improvement and she is 93 !!!!! Still as deaf as a post though wink

Paul.

Peter Miller06/12/2018 18:21:45
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

THanks Paul.

Geoff Sleath06/12/2018 20:03:42
3188 forum posts
247 photos
Posted by Paul C. on 06/12/2018 18:13:26:

Great to hear that the op went well , the mother in law had her eyes done last year and was amazed at the improvement and she is 93 !!!!! Still as deaf as a post though wink

Paul.

Yes, I wish hearing aids worked as well for hearing as spectacles do for seeing

Geoff

Erfolg22/12/2018 15:18:40
11211 forum posts
1103 photos

With a following wind, hopefully it will not be long before Peter will be given the "all's clear" so that the model can be finished.

Like many others i will be waiting with baited breath for the plan to be published in the RCM&E.

Whilst waiting I have been attempting to get some back ground on the Cassutt. It is certain that a great many Cassutt aircraft have been produced. What is surprising is the shear variations, from constant chord, taper, crescent wing examples. Bodies that varied by significant amounts from widths, covering materials and so on. It seems so very obvious that here is an opportunity for the mag to commission Peter for a supplementary article to support the plan and build, on this subject.

Here is hoping and waiting in anticipation.

Peter Miller22/12/2018 17:57:41
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Not really a good ideaI am afraid.

One would need access to a lot of photos and possibly drawings, all of which would be other peoples copyright.

Peter Miller31/12/2018 11:48:15
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Well after a long lay off because sanding dust is not reccomended after a cataract operation I have got back to building.

Just in passing. I went flying with some other club members the other day. I took "The Ohmen" up until it was just a tiny dot in the sky.

I could see exactly what itw as doing and felt in complete control. None of the others could tell what it was doing.

On to the build.

dscf4039.jpg

Wing bolted on to the fuselage and formers fitted for the section over the wing.

dscf4040.jpg

Ready to do the sheeting. Note servo mounts in the wing.

dscf4042.jpg

Sides glued down and ready for the sheet to be rolled over the curved formers. Just wet them a bit and apply heat with a heat gun or an iron.A domestic iron or covering iron will work.

dscf4043.jpg

The sheet has been rolled over and trimmed to a good fit. The 1/4" sheet top has been added ready for shaping.

dscf4041.jpg

1/4" sheet tail parts cut out. they use a lot of 1/4" sheet so use soft light wood.

Daniel Cardona12/01/2019 19:45:45
160 forum posts
252 photos

Great Another pylon Racer! what not to love about them?!

do you think it would be possible to turn this Cassut for I.C power Peter? it's not a common sight to see one at the field.

looking forward to see your finished.

Regards

Daniel

Peter Miller12/01/2019 20:48:34
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Oh yes. No problem. I would suggest a .32 as it has 540 square inches od area and my electric powered version weighs 4 lbs.

I have slimmed the plan view of the fuselage down a bit but side view is about scalish

cymaz12/01/2019 21:34:20
8268 forum posts
1144 photos

In celebration of your successful eye operation.....I thought you won’t mind if I posted

THIS!

Peter Miller13/01/2019 08:16:42
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles

Hi Cymaz.

Yes, now I can see for miles thanks.

I wasn't really into that scene but I remember a lot of it!!

Peter

Peter Miller13/01/2019 08:18:38
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles
Posted by Daniel Cardona on 12/01/2019 19:45:45:

do you think it would be possible to turn this Cassut for I.C power Peter? it's not a common sight to see one at the field.

Regards

Daniel

You would have to move F-1 back a bit and make it out of 1/4 ply. But that would be about all the modifications needed.

Peter Miller13/01/2019 08:18:39
9701 forum posts
1148 photos
10 articles
Posted by Daniel Cardona on 12/01/2019 19:45:45:

Regards

Daniel

You would have to move F-1 back a bit and make it out of 1/4 ply. But that would be about all the modifications needed.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us