By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Adhesives,Which are your favourite Brands?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicky Strahan07/12/2018 15:08:14
24 forum posts
16 photos

Gorilla wood glue, Gorilla glue, Zap 15 minute epoxy and Screwfix Mitre Bond (medium CA + kicker).

PeterF07/12/2018 19:43:33
354 forum posts
552 photos

As a serious builder, I got quite surprised when I thought about this and listed them all out.

Vitalbond cyano in super thin, thin, medium and thick varieties for traditional building plus foam safe for indoor stuff. Vitalbond because my local Boyes sells it and it works well, better than the cheap Blue Spot brand they have.

Deluxe Materials Tricky Stick is used from time to time to aid the adhesion of cyano to non wetting plastics.

Deluxe Materials Superphatic for putting wings and stringer type fuselages together because I prefer this to cyano as it leaves the joints with a little give rather than a brittle cyano joint. Brilliant stuff. There was a thread on this recently. I used it on my quarter scale Tiger Moth and that has held together well.

Deluxe materials Speedbond PVA, this is my general white glue for most balsa building jobs, although I do also use Titebond Aliphatic if I have an exposed joint line that will need sanding.

Deluxe Materials RC Modellers canopy glue.

Zap Z-Poxy epoxy in 5, 15 and 30 minute varieties.

Gorilla Glue, the original expanding PU glue from time to time, I wish it could be bought in 5ml capsules as even the 60ml often goes off in the bottle before I have used much of it.

UHU Por for indoor stuff.

Silicone sealant for gluing on some motor cowls / canopies that do not normally need removing, but need to come off for motor access where screws can not be used, these days rare earth magnets would be an alternative.

Pinflair silicone glue (from my wife's crafting stuff) for gluing servos or other objects in places, this has much less flexibility that silicone sealant and provides a stronger bond that is more difficult to break if need be.

Denis Watkins09/12/2018 15:56:03
3196 forum posts
147 photos
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 06/12/2018 18:37:02:

Epoxy-i like the devcon 30 min,marks on the sides of the bottles,allows accurate measures,cyano,zapp medium,and pva,just the standard,always been okay for scratchbuilding,uhu por for foam,whatever happened to balsa cement,is this still available!

Humbrol Balsa Cement is still available on eBay

And its fast drying properties are very useful for holding things in place, while your favourite glue is still drying in stress points

Also, for quick 3D modelling, balsa cement is ideal eg chuck gliders at events

maurice northcott09/12/2018 17:29:10
81 forum posts
59 photos

Balsa cement: Uhu Hart

PVA: Vitalbond Westbury Express - dries hard and enables it to be sanded if necessary unlike some PVA that dry "rubbery"

Epoxy: Z Poxy or Devcon depending on availability in LHS

Superglue: Usually Zap or anything available in the LHS

The balsa cement and PVA I obtain from Pegasus Models (Norwich) by Mail Order.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us