Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Bolt chuck Glider

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil MacKinnon 103/07/2019 15:00:17
11 forum posts
9 photos

Well it's been a while with a couple of false starts but FINALLY there was a 10 MPH coming off the Bristol Channel and over Middle Hope today, so me and the Bolt (and a Lidl and a Z84) went off to see what is what.

The Bolt flies really well, smooth and with good control authority, but compared to the Lidl it was more sensitive to the lumps and bumps in the air, this is obviously due to the wing chord and the glider weight, or lack of it. It did require a fair bit of concentration due to the speed and sensitivity, that said it is very easy to fly compared to the Z84.

One slightly worrying aspect of having wings that just plug in is that when doing a close fly by I could hear the wings flexing / creaking slightly where they pass through the fuselage. They did not move so I am probably worrying about nothing, but I will see how it goes and possibly join the two halves together.

I had several very good flights and am extremely pleased with the conversion, but had to return home when the Tx battery started to run down a little too much, otherwise I would be up there still.

Stephen Jones03/07/2019 18:53:08
2692 forum posts
1528 photos

I am Glad to hear that you managed to get out with the Bolt and that it Flew ok for You.

I Know it is twice the price of the Lidl Glider, But in my opinion The Bolt is twice the model and yes it does fly fast.

and will fly in stronger winds.

I add weight for the stronger winds and it can keep up with the best of them i do not understand why it is not more popular.

Steve.

Neil MacKinnon 103/07/2019 19:36:14
11 forum posts
9 photos

I agree Steve, it is a straightforward model to convert, there is plenty of room for both r/c and for variations in the method and style of the conversion, and unlike the Lidl it is easily available all year round.

I found quite a contrast between my Lidl and the Bolt, it floats less and drives more which is why I said it required a lot more concentration to fly, maybe not for the experienced pilot, but certainly for someone like myself returning after a long break.

I have had the wings off this afternoon and may beef up the joint a little as I am not sure the wings in their present form would enjoy the rigours of Crook Peak on a blustery day. I'll have a little dig about in the workshop and see if I have some suitable bits'n'bobs.

Andy Horsman06/08/2019 20:14:36
95 forum posts
66 photos

Hi Neil and Steve. I have a similar 1.2m chuckie to convert. It's the Flybear FX-707.

Unlike the Bolt It does have a removable canopy with two steel balls in it . It has a carbon tube embedded in each wing half and a thin carbon rod as the joiner. Might try a pitcheron conversion but might have to beef up the carbon tubes.

Neil. Looks like you are in my area as a group of us fly at Middle Hope,Maes Knoll,Bratton Camp etc. Check out my YT channel videos under "heady2008" Let me know if you ever fancy some company on your adventures in rc slope soaring

Neil MacKinnon 106/08/2019 20:20:52
11 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Andy, I have seen some of your video's, including those from Middle Hope. This summer has been a bit of a pain as the wind has been from the West all summer, but as soon as it is from the North I'll be up there again.

Andy Horsman06/08/2019 20:35:59
95 forum posts
66 photos

It's a great slope especially when you consider that you have a choice of three slopes. Shame all are facing north. Luckily for me my local slope is at Maes Knoll and suits SW-W winds. You are welcome to join us up there and I've set up a group emailing list so local slope nuts can post when they are planning to go sloping off. One member,Alan, comes up from Yatton area

Neil MacKinnon 106/08/2019 20:49:47
11 forum posts
9 photos

Thank's for the invite, I shall take you up on the offer.

Stephen Jones06/08/2019 22:52:15
2692 forum posts
1528 photos

Hi Andy,

I have seen some pictures on the webb of the fx 707 which is a updated version of the 706 .

From what i have seen the 706 looks very much like the bolt. The Bolt has narrow wings and is fast compared to the Lidl Glider.

Now fx 707 looks like the wings do not sweep back would it be possible to post some pictures for us to look at or maybe start a fresh post on the conversion of the Fx 707.

Cheers Steve....

Stephen Jones06/08/2019 22:56:26
2692 forum posts
1528 photos

Here is a fresh Video of the Bolt.

Steve
Andy Horsman07/08/2019 09:56:09
95 forum posts
66 photos

img_20190807_092826_1.jpgI've created an album showing the FX-707 as this site has such a clunky image attachment process which really needs a major revamp. It wouldn';t let me post with just two images as it was too large

img_20190807_092816_3.jpg

Andy Horsman07/08/2019 09:56:55
95 forum posts
66 photos

img_20190807_092949_7.jpgimg_20190807_092902_4.jpgMore views img_20190807_092846_8.jpg

Stephen Jones08/08/2019 20:29:30
2692 forum posts
1528 photos

Hi Andy,

Looks interesting how does the foam feel compared to the Lidl. or Hobbyking type models.

And how much

Steve.

Andy Horsman08/08/2019 21:20:40
95 forum posts
66 photos

It's quite a close cell foam and very smooth. I would say it's a bit smoother and finer than the Lidl. I think I paid around £16 each (I bought 2) but that was last year

Guy Hamilton-Fletcher15/09/2019 22:58:47
7 forum posts

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back from the deadsmiley but I have a couple of questions

I have tried to straighten the wing with weights held flat for a few days and found that the wings just pops back to roughly the original polyhedral angle. Did you overbend it to remove the bend or use the spar to keep it flat? would the creases in the bottom surface not come out over time?

Unfortunately I damaged the wing using a steam iron to try and straighten it as the the foam is less heat resistant than the stuff they use for the lidl model. I should have tried on a scrap piece first. I will be getting a replacement bolt glider for a second attempt.

I have thought about cutting a slice from the topside and inserting a foam piece and gluing flat before putting a spar in, but that does seem less than ideal.

Does anyone know what foam its made from as it doesn't seem to like standard CA unlike the lidl glider I have. I do have uhu por so will use that instead.

Thanks

Guy

Neil MacKinnon 116/09/2019 07:21:12
11 forum posts
9 photos

Weights on the wings didn't work for me either. I gently and carefully over bent the wings, just take your time and you can feel the foam give and I didn't end up with any creases. I then used the carbon spars to keep the wings dead flat.

You need foam safe CA for most of these models, I use it in combination with UHU Por and also epoxy depending on the application.

David Tayler16/09/2019 09:24:30
92 forum posts

I straightened the wings of my Lidle glider that I converted into a twin motor plane by cutting part way through them then filling the v with PU adhesive( Gorilla glue type of thing). Held it all down flat ,clamped to a board while the glue dried and it has worked a treat. I suggest some masking tape under the glue line to make sure it does not get stuck to the board! David

Stephen Jones16/09/2019 18:22:33
2692 forum posts
1528 photos
Posted by Guy Hamilton-Fletcher on 15/09/2019 22:58:47:

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back from the deadsmiley but I have a couple of questions

I have tried to straighten the wing with weights held flat for a few days and found that the wings just pops back to roughly the original polyhedral angle. Did you overbend it to remove the bend or use the spar to keep it flat? would the creases in the bottom surface not come out over time?

Unfortunately I damaged the wing using a steam iron to try and straighten it as the the foam is less heat resistant than the stuff they use for the lidl model. I should have tried on a scrap piece first. I will be getting a replacement bolt glider for a second attempt.

I have thought about cutting a slice from the topside and inserting a foam piece and gluing flat before putting a spar in, but that does seem less than ideal.

Does anyone know what foam its made from as it doesn't seem to like standard CA unlike the lidl glider I have. I do have uhu por so will use that instead.

Thanks

Guy

Hi, Hardly bringing this thread back from the dead, Only 40 days since the last post.

Anyway to answer your question my building room is the loft so possible the hot weather helped here.

And i did rely on the spar holding the wing in place and it worked perfectly no creases on the bottom of the wing and still holds true to this day.

I have bought two more and a cheep Chinese copy from eBay to compare the difference .

This time i want to make a more aerobatic model and have a powered version.

Steve.

Guy Hamilton-Fletcher16/09/2019 18:23:35
7 forum posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I will carefully overbend the wing as suggested before fitting the spar.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us