Forum sponsored by CML

Removing sticky acetates from new ARTFs

A wise thing to do?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Pearce 412/12/2018 11:25:40
305 forum posts
37 photos

I've just received a Seagull Challenger ARTF. It's a lovely model but I have to agree with the recent RCME review in that the markings are dull.

I would like to remove some of the stick on acetates and add some contrasting stripes to aid orientation. But before I do, does anyone have any hints or tricks for doing this. If it means too high a risk of damaging the covering I'll live with it.

Thanks

ken anderson.12/12/2018 14:20:08
8395 forum posts
772 photos

hello David, try the gentle heat from a heat gun or hairdryer....lift the edge and it should peel off ….jobs a goodin.

ken anderson...ne..1..... gentle heat dept.

David Pearce 412/12/2018 17:09:29
305 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Ken, sounds simple enough, I'll give that a try.

David Pearce 413/12/2018 13:15:52
305 forum posts
37 photos

I tried using heat on a small sticker and it came away without much trouble. It left a residue of glue so I used some 'Googone', which is made for removing cellotape glue etc, and the end was result was excellent. I then experimented with just using a drop of Googone under the sticker edge and no heat. This worked well and using a rolling action the sticker came away leaving less residue. Cleaning up with Googone and kitchen roll taking care not to dent the covering.

So Googone works without heat but I guess different combinations of covering material and stickers may need different solutions. So always test first.

I now have an airframe clear of stickers awaiting my own markings.

Piers Bowlan13/12/2018 13:39:09
1755 forum posts
42 photos

I usually use a small drop of petrol on a piece of kitchen roll for removing glue residue from items. A bit smelly but it soon goes off! Don't be tempted to use acetone or cellulose thinners as it will attack the covering but I expect you know that.

jrman13/12/2018 13:58:41
332 forum posts
3 photos

Lighter fluid (NOT gas) works very well. It's pure naphtha.

David Pearce 413/12/2018 14:52:03
305 forum posts
37 photos

I guess the advantage of Googone over petrol or lighter fuel is that your wife walks in and says "hmmm, nice smell" rather than "what is that smell?" Handy when you choose to work in the kitchen smiley

Piers Bowlan13/12/2018 16:47:15
1755 forum posts
42 photos

Choose? I am not allowed to work in the kitchen crying .

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/12/2018 17:03:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us