By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

More flying sites needed!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SONNY MONKS15/12/2018 11:09:03
269 forum posts

We need more,without a doubt,especially in yorkshire,as well as more SOCIAL HOUSING,POWER TO THE PEOPLE,(Citizen Kane)!!!

leccyflyer15/12/2018 12:22:57
1210 forum posts
297 photos

Citizen Kane? Think you mean Citizen Smith, laugh

SONNY MONKS15/12/2018 13:24:49
269 forum posts

okay leccy lol,i was a only a kid when that was on tv,robert lyndsey wasnt it?

Ronaldo15/12/2018 16:46:51
221 forum posts
17 photos

By eck ! that dates me ! Citizen Smith was one of my favourite sitcom's back in the days I was a lad, lol.

Not sure if would be too 'un PC' in today's confusing climate, it made me laugh back then tho' ........

SONNY MONKS15/12/2018 16:54:32
269 forum posts

I much prefer the comedy from the 70s and 80s,the modern day era,i think,doesnt come no where near!!

SONNY MONKS15/12/2018 16:55:21
269 forum posts

but where are the fields?

leccyflyer15/12/2018 16:57:19
1210 forum posts
297 photos

Well, Fresh Fields and French Fields have both been in the box this past week. Mot the best examples of British TV Comedy mind you.

Stephen Smith 1415/12/2018 18:47:58
122 forum posts
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 15/12/2018 16:55:21:

Plenty of fields in Yorkshire, just need to get out there find what your looking for and approach the land owner/farmer in a professional manner and bingo you have a field.

We did a couple of years ago and now have what must be one best sites in the country, 150x50 metres drive in and pit from the boot, club house, heating, cooking facilities, and no restrictions. Full membership already and a waiting list.

Don't listen to all the gloom and doom merchants that say it's not possible it is you just need to put in the work.

kevin b15/12/2018 18:49:26
1575 forum posts
165 photos
We Posted by SONNY MONKS on 15/12/2018 16:55:21:

Where about in Yorkshire are you ?

We have a nice (small) field and not many members in North Yorkshire.

SONNY MONKS15/12/2018 18:57:32
269 forum posts

Hi kevin,i live in leeds,west yorkshire,im a member of south and north leeds,and dewsbury.

nigel newby16/12/2018 01:12:25
154 forum posts
40 photos

I have been looking for an easy/closer club. I knew that they flew at Kempton park racecourse.

Looked them up on the web and found they had been kicked off in 2015, so they could put up houses.

As of now, they still have not even applied for planning permission. That's 3 years that the club could have been flying there. This is what we are up against.

Nigel N

Edited By nigel newby on 16/12/2018 01:13:10

Denis Watkins16/12/2018 08:40:25
3495 forum posts
165 photos
Posted by nigel newby on 16/12/2018 01:12:25:

I have been looking for an easy/closer club. I knew that they flew at Kempton park racecourse.

Looked them up on the web and found they had been kicked off in 2015, so they could put up houses.

As of now, they still have not even applied for planning permission. That's 3 years that the club could have been flying there. This is what we are up against.

Nigel N

Edited By nigel newby on 16/12/2018 01:13:10

I can beat that one Nigel, our club lost a field due to the land needed for houses in 2001

We were relocated, and the previous field remains untouched with NO house builds 2018

Keith Simmons16/12/2018 08:59:53
443 forum posts
6 photos

Sadly the developers are known to buy land and sit on it knowing that the value will go up. The less land available for development, the more expensive it will be. It's all for PROFIT.

Percy Verance16/12/2018 09:35:20
7564 forum posts
145 photos

I'd echo what Stephen posted above.

We chose to move from our site a few years back due it's location being too remote for some members. A small group of us decided to look around our preferred area until we found a field we thought was suitable. That done, you then need to find out who the land belongs to! We did it by simply knocking on a few doors - and there weren't many on which to knock - until the information you seek is presented to you. Of course you have to be polite, presentable and be prepared to listen carefully to what's said. It worked for us.

Initially, the landowner of our chosen field wasn't keen to have us in there. He told us it was one of a handful of his best silage fields, and he didn't really want us walking "all over it". We assured him that walking all over it was the last thing we'd do, and that we actually intended to operate from just one section of the field, leaving the rest untouched.

As the conversation progressed, he said he'd still prefer us to operate from one of his other fields if possible, but we had already noticed most of those had either less good access, power/telephone lines in farly close proximity or were not level enough. Eventually the conversation turned to money, and we offered what we thought was a fair amount to fly in our preferred field. We were pleasantly surprised when he accepted. He made just 3 stipulations. No cars on the field - meaning we had to park on the grass verges outside the field (no problem), no litter - particularly fag ends (we have no members whom smoke), and no " noisy engines". We gave him a demonstration with three different electric models, stating that all models flown would be similarly powered. No i.c. engines would be run or flown at any time. We've been there a good few years now, without a single issue. We did lose some diehard i.c. flyers in the move, as they migrated to one of the other 3 groups in the area.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/12/2018 09:52:11

Adrian Smith 116/12/2018 11:25:00
2134 forum posts
831 photos

Quite right, Percy. It just shows your approach and hard work can bring results. For me, to find a suitable site to fly from took a bit of driving around the county and in excess of 150 letters to local farmers. It only takes one positive reply and like you the chap wasn't convinced to start off with as there was already a full size aircraft operating from his land. A combination of the colour of money and a direct approach to the full size aircraft syndicate did the trick and I now have the option to fly off a great runway. I also cut the grass for them too! Additionally, I do belong to another local club where I fly my smaller electrics. So a foot in two camps.

Percy Verance16/12/2018 11:55:31
7564 forum posts
145 photos

It's worked for us a couple of times now Adrian. The owner of the previous site ( the very remote site I mentioned in my previous post) has said he'd be happy for us to return if we wanted to. It's handy to have that in the bag....

One of the biggest issues for a landowner seems to be that they're usually completely unaware of the sort of impact you're going to make, and they are almost always wary. We've been offered trial periods varying from 3 months to a full year, all without issue. As far as I'm aware our present landowner is quite happy with us, and has been surprised at the lack of impact we've had. He has said that at times he has had no idea we've even been there. I do make a point each year when I pay him the rent, of asking whether he's still ok with us and is there anything he'd like us to do/not do?

There is now a padlock on the field gate - he's had problems with ramblers walking where they shouldn't - and we all have a key for the lock.

SONNY MONKS16/12/2018 15:05:42
269 forum posts

Were there more flying sites in previous decades?,were they still all this politics bollocks too,it seems to me,everything is all about politics now,been in the hobby for almost two years now,back in the day when it was all IC,was there still the problem with the DB,People complaining,you do realise soon,we will all have to be in bed for seven o clock,lol,dont hold yer breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Member16/12/2018 15:37:21
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Percy Verance16/12/2018 18:00:36
7564 forum posts
145 photos

SONNY

There probably were more model flyers and sites back then. It seemed like it. There were certainly more shows and model shops. And yes, there were politics aplenty too, just as today. I once saw a perfectly good club lose over 60% of it's membership over the space of 12 years or so as a result of politics and personality clashes - I was but one of them.

Those whom moved on simply formed new clubs...... the one I'm in has a limited membership, and is refreshingly free from politics and bull.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/12/2018 18:16:18

SONNY MONKS16/12/2018 18:39:10
269 forum posts

Thats good to hear percy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us