Forum sponsored by CML

Triflow Pronatur Grease

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Heather18/12/2018 08:56:07
62 forum posts
7 photos
Hi,

A lot of modellers recommend Triflow grease for helicopter head assemblies. If I look at UK model shops they sell tubs of Pronatur which they call Triflow but I'm not convinced this is the same stuff. When I look at Triflow branded products they do two tubes of grease one called red and the other called clear.

The stuff they sell in the UK is in tubs and is a red/brown colour.

Is this Pronatur stuff actually Triflow red or is it a totally different product, not Triflow at all.

Cheers,

Nigel
Stephen Smith 1418/12/2018 19:57:09
84 forum posts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triflow-Synthetic-Grease-Teflon-3oz/dp/B000C15MUU

Stephen Smith 1418/12/2018 19:57:54
84 forum posts

Loads of other places I find google is my friend

Nigel Heather18/12/2018 20:22:46
62 forum posts
7 photos
Thanks, I know that you can get genuine Triflow in the UK, I never said you couldn't.

What I asked is that lots of model shops, including Ripmax the distributor sell a tub of something called Pronatur which they call Triflow.

The question is whether this really is Triflow, or something different.

Never thought for a minute that it was Triflow clear - it's a different colour for a start - but could it be Triflow red in a different packaging. Or is it not Triflow at all and lots of model shops are mis-labelling it.

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/12/2018 20:23:19

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/12/2018 20:24:08

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/12/2018 20:24:34

Denis Watkins18/12/2018 20:36:38
3276 forum posts
148 photos

Oil and grease can be slightly acidic Nigel, which helps it flow, much like flux at high temperature.

Soap too is slippy, due to acidity, and does its job.

The clear Triflow, is multipurpose, and I suspect slightly acidic

The RED Triflow is Specifically for ALUMINIUM, so by definition, will not eat away at the metal, so may be your choice for lightweight flybarless heads

The King Heli Flyer at my patch uses a smear of Motor Oil

Nigel Heather19/12/2018 14:58:30
62 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks for the info on red trifliw, but that still doesn’t answer my question.

Ripmax distribute a pot of grease that they call Triflow and it is sold by the model shops that Ripmax supply.

I have a pot but it is labelled as Pronatur and doesn’t mention Triflow anywhere on the labelling. There is nothing sold in this form on the official Triflow site.

So does anyone know the story

Are Ripmax telling the truth, this really is Triflow, just sold under a different name and packaging for the UK market.

Or, are Ripmax telling porkies and this is not Triflow at all but something else.

Cheers,

Nigel

Stephen Smith 1419/12/2018 22:56:41
84 forum posts

Look at the price and make your own decision

Nigel Heather20/12/2018 04:27:31
62 forum posts
7 photos

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 19/12/2018 22:56:41:

Look at the price and make your own decision

If I was convinced that Triflow was being distributed in the UK I could look at the price. But I’ve yet to find a UK retailler that is selling it as UK stock. The one you have listed is having it shipped in from the US at £34 so that pricing isn’t representative of the product cost.

On the whole I agree with you, I suspect that the stuff that Ripmax is selling isn’t real Triflow, but at the same time I find it difficult to believe that a company like Ripmax would so blatently breach copyright/trademarks.

So part of me still wonders whether it is the same stuff, being sold under the Triflow name in the US and the Pronatur name in the UK.

So next question, given that Triflow clear grease doesn’t appear to be normally sold in the UK what are the alternatives - what about Finish Line Teflon grease? That is a clear synthetic grease with Teflon?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 20/12/2018 04:28:20

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Motion RC
CML
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us