Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Turned aluminium spinner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ken Lighten13/10/2008 21:52:00
258 forum posts
42 photos
Hi, I am about to build an Albatros DIII biplane and thought I would try making the spinner from turned aluminium. It will be 4.75" diameter and be hollowed out as far as possible but will probably still weigh a fair bit, will this be a problem for a Magnum 91 4 stroke? (the weight will probably be a help in balancing the model anyway)
David Ashby - Moderator14/10/2008 08:26:00
11020 forum posts
1723 photos
616 articles

Hi Ken,

Bit chicken and egg that one - depends how heavy we're talking about I guess but I would think you'll be ok there. Biplanes normally have higher wing loadings so the model should be able to cope although that's a big spinner and if it's heavy enough then the C of G may need to be adjusted?  

Simon Chaddock15/10/2008 00:27:00
5717 forum posts
3034 photos

Hi Ken

Thats a big spinner! How much it will weigh is going to depend on how much you are able to "hollow it out". Machining big thin things is not easy so spinners are normally "spun" to shape from a sheet disc over a former. My concern really is if you are going to need some significant weight up front for CofG reasons then you dont really want it going round at engine speed as well.

David

Surely biplanes normally have lower wing loadings. 

David Ashby - Moderator15/10/2008 05:48:00
11020 forum posts
1723 photos
616 articles
Yes why did I say higher when I mean lower Simon
Ken Lighten15/10/2008 21:07:00
258 forum posts
42 photos

Thanks Dave & Simon, I guess I'll have to make one and see what it weighs and how it balances - then give it a go on a test stand to see what happens

Aussie Bob28/10/2008 22:26:00
38 forum posts
 The flywheel effect of a heavy spinner produces a delightful idle!
Ken Lighten15/01/2009 11:26:17
258 forum posts
42 photos
Managed to get a spinner 'spun' after all and, with backplate and fasteners,  weighs about the same as a standard ally spinner. Now all I've got to do is build the kit - I'm currently building a Gordon Whitehead Fokker DVII which has taken about 5 months to get to the very bare structure stage, so it could be some time! though, as it is a laser cut kit from Funaero RC in the US of A, it should be a lot quicker to do.
Broken Prop15/01/2009 21:36:32
624 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Ken

I've been following your thread with interest as I need to get a large spinner made for a Jerry Bates Sea Fury. I have been unable to find a fabricator in this country and would be grateful if you could let me know where you got yours made.

Peter
Ken Lighten16/01/2009 07:52:35
258 forum posts
42 photos
Peter,

I have sent you a PM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!