Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

SC52 2stroke issue.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Snorbitz27/12/2018 19:40:55
280 forum posts
58 photos
Hi Guys, I've just refitted an SC52 2stroke after a 3 year layup and its also has a brand new carb from JE. Old one was missing a part. Started just fine, idled perfect and mid range ok but it will not run at WOT. Just cuts out....this happened a few times and now it won't run at all. It's a new model with the plumbing checked and double checked. Scratching my head a bit. I've gone to 2,5 out on the needle, tried a new plug but still nothing. Very odd.Any ideas?.
Denis Watkins27/12/2018 19:55:45
3913 forum posts
61 photos

From the layup, has got to be some particle or goop blocking the fuel flow

So, even with new pipe, and cab, some debris

Edited By Denis Watkins on 27/12/2018 20:19:15

Snorbitz27/12/2018 20:06:17
280 forum posts
58 photos
I didn't think 2str engines had these...or am I missing something?.
Paul Marsh27/12/2018 20:09:35
3727 forum posts
1057 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 27/12/2018 19:55:45:

Tappets,

Clearance, or sticking or stuck, or broken valve spring Snorb

Its a 2 Stroke...cool

Is your Glo starter still ok? Check the obvious: Fuel, supply, Glow and if they are ok then its something else...

Also, even new plugs are known to blow - check that with your glo stick..

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/12/2018 20:12:34

Shaunie27/12/2018 20:19:39
943 forum posts
78 photos

Are you using exhaust pressure and is the nipple clear? As it is not the original carb are you sure the Venturi is not too large? Try opening up the main needle even more, hard to tell without listening to it but I suspect it’s too lean.

Shaunie

Paul C.27/12/2018 20:27:47
595 forum posts
150 photos

Do you have much compression , after 3 three year lay up the piston ring may be gummed up expecially if you have been using castor based fuel. Also is the fuel new or three year old ?

Paul.

Snorbitz27/12/2018 20:42:44
280 forum posts
58 photos
Mmm I've wondered about the fuel as that is also a few years old. It's been in its sealed bottle but it is a little old.
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator27/12/2018 20:45:42
6727 forum posts
191 photos

I think these are ABC motors Paul so no ring to gum up....wink 2

How does it stop.....? Just cuts dead once the throttle barrel get close to full open or does it gurgle & spit fuel back from the carb.before grinding to a halt? If the former (& I suspect it will be) then it's not getting enough (liquid) fuel & is simply too lean....this means insufficient fuel flow which indicates a blockage somewhere.....work through the fuel system until you find it....can you blow through the fuel feed pipe into the carb (with the throttle & NVA open)? Is there a blockage or a kink in the tank lines? Don't forget to check the clunk...I've seen clunks weights where the central hole is almost obscured by the bright nickel plating (& indeed one where the hole wasn't drilled at all!!). Do you have a fuel filter on the model? Is it clear? (if you do have one then personally I'd throw it away...filter the fuel going into the tank...you won't need to filter it coming out again)

Let us know how you get on

Jon - Laser Engines27/12/2018 21:00:47
4836 forum posts
180 photos

^ what he said

Also, if you can shoot a video and post it on youtube. post the link here so we can all have a gander.

I recommend this to my customers all the time and its helped sort out many an engine. Just keep the camera out of the propwash

Peter Miller27/12/2018 21:04:54
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

That sounds as too lean. Start it treally rich and see if it runs slobbering rich. If it does start closing the needle down to until it is running lean at full throttle.

Just becausex you are running 2 1/2 turns open doesn't mean that it isn't too lean.

Paul C.27/12/2018 21:15:30
595 forum posts
150 photos

Your right Steve I had forgotten about them being ABC, if I remember correctly the SC needle has a O ring that tends to crack quite frequently but as this is a new carb it should be ok.

Paul.

cymaz27/12/2018 21:30:03
8765 forum posts
1190 photos

Try this,

Take off the main needle retaining clip and slip over some fuel tube so that it completely covers the needle and body. This will stop any air if you have a leaking o ring.

SIMON CRAGG27/12/2018 21:31:41
477 forum posts
15 photos

As its been laid up for three years, its probably the bearings corroded. The rear one is especially prone to this. The ball bearings get rusty and "drag" on the cage. Virtually impossible to tune for reliable running. Have seen this happen many times. Straightforward job and parts a tenner. Hope this helps.

Snorbitz27/12/2018 21:52:48
280 forum posts
58 photos
Lots to work through. I'm going to try another Glo system too as the plug does not glow overly well when out even though the little needle swings right over. On my glow panel which I'm about to try how much current should I dial up for a No3 plug?
alex nicol27/12/2018 21:53:14
302 forum posts
15 photos

Check the tank to make sure the clunk hasn't travelled forward and kinked the tubing.

it sounds as if it may be to lean or drawing air. if you open the throttle wide and do a few choke turns can you see the fuel being drawn through the pipe?

if you prime and choke it until its slobberingly rich do you get the 'bump' when you turn the prop over with the glow start on?

Jon - Laser Engines27/12/2018 21:58:00
4836 forum posts
180 photos
Posted by Snorbitz on 27/12/2018 21:52:48:
On my glow panel which I'm about to try how much current should I dial up for a No3 plug?

Ignore the amp reading, its totally meaningless. Just put the plug in the glow thing and turn the amps up until its glowing nicely. Pop it in the engine and never touch the dial again. If you use different types of plug, say a 4 stroke plug, repeat the procedure and see if you need more juice. If so, make two marks on the face plate so you know where to turn the knob to for each plug. Its unlikely you will need more than one position to be honest, but that is the best way to set up power panels.

One final thing is that when the engine is cranking on the starter make sure the amps have not fallen through the floor as this will put the glow out.

Snorbitz27/12/2018 22:02:24
280 forum posts
58 photos
I'm using a separate battery for the starter so it shouldn't drag the voltage down under load. I've had a coffee and a read so time to try again with some of these suggestions and with the new glo driver.
Snorbitz27/12/2018 22:03:54
280 forum posts
58 photos
I've uploaded some pics of the engine install in the Extra. I wondered if the exhaust being above the engine is effecting things.

Edited By Snorbitz on 27/12/2018 22:04:23

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator27/12/2018 22:50:40
6727 forum posts
191 photos

As I understood it the engine is starting & running OK at low speed/throttle settings it's only when you open up to full throttle there is a problem.....this means it's unlikely to be an issue with the glow plug battery...

Or have I missed something?

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator27/12/2018 22:57:04
6727 forum posts
191 photos

Just had a look at the two pictures in your album.....the engine is mounted sidewinder on the left side meaning the exhaust muffler exits through the top of the cowl......that is unusual..... in fact I don't think I've ever seen an installation like that. It is more usual to mount the engine so the muffler exits through the bottom of the cowl.

That said it shouldn't affect the running of the engine particularly.......

But I am intrigued...why did you fit the engine like that?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us