Forum sponsored by CML

SE5a - dogfight double

Build thread for sept 2003 RCM&E plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dad_flyer11/01/2019 22:11:20
53 forum posts
45 photos

Very little progress this week. Strut holes cut in lower wings. Wing tips blocked up, and one shaped.

img_20190111_080249264~3.jpg

Blocked up, but my 12mm balsa is actually 9mm, so needed an extra bit on top.

img_20190111_081614200.jpg

Rough shape with a razor plane.

img_20190111_220035880.jpg

One tip shaped. Corners will be rounded a little in the end.

Dad_flyer18/01/2019 11:03:20
53 forum posts
45 photos
Little time to progress recently, and I have been trying out finishing methods. Tissue and dope for tail and fuse, Easycoat for wings, which are open underneath. I have not done iron on before. Test pieces are now ok, so on to the real thing next session.

What servo torque do I need? the parts are, so far, heading for a flying weight which will be under the design weight of 24oz/680g. 9g plastic gear 1kg-cm will be plenty? Will 5g servos at 0.6kg-cm be big enough? The smaller servos would allow a full depth cockpit for an alternative pilot who fancies a go.
Dad_flyer22/01/2019 22:03:24
53 forum posts
45 photos

Sanding sealer done all over. Some of the tissue done, but not had much good weather to do that outside. The article in this month's RCM&E was useful for techniques of covering solid areas.

More time spent on the film covering, but I am still very slow, so not much to show for it.

img_20190122_214835856.jpg

img_20190122_214918250.jpg

I have a job lot of cheap yellow Easycoat that was on offer. It will all be painted.

There was a small twist in the wing, I had re-glued the leading edge to the ribs when I saw it was not quite stuck down, after taking it from the board. Not a great idea. Luckily I saw a method somewhere of holding it twisted back past straight and re-shrinking the open underside. This seems to have worked. I shall keep an eye on it to see if it slips back before I fix the wings.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us