Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Best practice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
i12fly01/01/2019 11:27:08
577 forum posts
21 photos

I like Tee nuts fitted from the back but with the spikes flattened -that way you've got a good flat area acting as a washer, cannot pull through the ply, it doesn't weaken the firewall, hold in place with a bit of epoxy. If the fuselage is narrow you can grind some off the flange.

Former Member01/01/2019 12:11:43
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Bob Cotsford01/01/2019 12:15:36
8064 forum posts
444 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 31/12/2018 15:23:50:
Posted by Steve Balaam on 30/12/2018 19:21:34:

I've gone over to using threaded inserts available from Modelfixings starting from 4mm thread size.

I wouldn't use anything else now

I like them, too but it's a shame 4mm is the smallest size. I asked Ian at Modelfixings some time ago if he could get 3mm ones but he tried and failed. They'd be useful for things like cowl fixings.

Geoff

Would any of these do the job Geoff?

Engine Doctor01/01/2019 13:31:02
2336 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by fly boy3 on 31/12/2018 12:29:13:

Cheers lads for all your help. Main reason for asking was that my firewall is long and narrow, and I was concerned that the tee nuts were so close to the edges that they might split the ply. Thanks

Hi flyboy3. The Tee nuts are a good strong fixing. If the back is too near the fuselage side just grind/cut the side off the Tee but. Loosing one or two of the spikes shouldn't be a problem provided you pull them into a snug hole in the ply firewall. The splined ones look a good alternative again pulled into a snug hole in the plywood.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us