Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Dave Burton (BEB)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ronaldo02/01/2019 13:34:10
262 forum posts
21 photos
I would never have guessed he was ill, he certainly kept a positive, helpful and friendly attitude on the forums. He will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP. BEB .

Edited By Ronaldo on 02/01/2019 13:36:03

Craig Carr02/01/2019 17:59:10
708 forum posts
504 photos

What terrible news.

I never met Dave but he certainly made a fantastic and positive contribution to the hobby and this forum.

My deepest condolences.

Former Member02/01/2019 18:09:03

[This posting has been removed]

Eagle 89902/01/2019 19:14:02
189 forum posts
19 photos

I too thought it odd that he wasn't popping up on the forum in recent months.

Very sad news indeed and the loss of all that knowledge; I learned a great deal from him (and others) on here.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

'Now he has slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And dances the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

RIP

The Wright Stuff03/01/2019 14:09:01
1381 forum posts
226 photos

Little to say that's not already been said. I didn't see this coming at all! My thoughts are with Dave's family and friends.

I will miss debating the finer points of aerodynamics, taunting him via his dislike of 'stall speed', and my all time favourite: whether a 747 on a conveyor belt is able to take off!

I won't pretend that we never disagreed, but I like to think we disagreed respectfully.

Rest and fly in peace!

Martin McIntosh03/01/2019 21:03:35
3412 forum posts
1202 photos

I really am sorry to hear this sad news which I have only just seen. He said that if you wished to meet him at last years` Nats forum get together he would look rather different from his previous appearance. He called me over for a chat and it took a minute to realise who I was speaking to.

Tim Cheal03/01/2019 22:25:39
221 forum posts
54 photos

Like many others I never met BEB, but always enjoyed his postings and his clear understanding, plus his articles in RCM and E. I have learnt so much from reading his work.

I wonder if anyone has considered letting this family have a copy of this thread as a sort of condolences book?

RIP BEB.

Tim

ken anderson.04/01/2019 08:10:55
8681 forum posts
807 photos

great idea Tim...…...

ken anderson

Low Flyer04/01/2019 09:02:47
14 forum posts
4 photos

What a sad loss..

As a relative newcomer to this forum and recently returned to the hobby I have been looking around the site quite a bit reading older threads (catching up!). Dave's posts certainly stand out written with integrity, enthusiasm and witt... 'and firmness where necessary'.

My condolences go to his family and friends

RIP BEB

David Ashby - Moderator04/01/2019 09:53:14
11011 forum posts
1714 photos
615 articles
Posted by Tim Cheal on 03/01/2019 22:25:39:

Like many others I never met BEB, but always enjoyed his postings and his clear understanding, plus his articles in RCM and E. I have learnt so much from reading his work.

I wonder if anyone has considered letting this family have a copy of this thread as a sort of condolences book?

RIP BEB.

Tim

Yes and yes Tim thumbs up

Ian Jones04/01/2019 10:50:27
3220 forum posts
1397 photos
Oh dear, very saddened by this news, my condolences to all.

I first became aware of Dave through this forum, though I had probably read articles in RCM&E before that without realising it. He stood out for me not just because of his moderator role but also because of the considered methods he used to keep good order. His knowledge and means of passing it on has always been just at the right level for all and no doubt will provide a reference for many in years to come.

I first actually met Dave, together with David Gilder at Steve Webb's to discuss the provision of T shirts for the first Mass Build to take place in 2011, when many of us built our Webbits. The impression he made on me then reinforced that which I had already formed; a perfect gent. That year and on several subsequent years we met again at Greenacres and I always hoped we would meet there again.

I, model flying in general, this forum and of course RCM&E will miss him I'm sure.

Edited By Ian Jones on 04/01/2019 11:01:07

Erfolg04/01/2019 11:54:49
11744 forum posts
1337 photos

One aspect of David that non of us have mentioned, is his relatively humble academic beginnings. I am sure that they have provided inspiration to his children and probably indirectly to many others, who would be unaware of his path to being a Professor, although aware of his patience when working through issues with others.>>

I am referring to the fact that his path was via ONC, HNC, Honors Degree, PHD. No faster track that "A" level provides. >>

I expect that others will have a more detailed knowledge of this aspect of his life and how it formed a part of his exceptional character.

fly boy304/01/2019 14:37:03
3676 forum posts
22 photos

Words fail me. I endorse every thing that has been said about David on this forum. I am very sorry never to have spoken to him. Condolences to his family. BEB r.i.p.

Geoff Hoolahan04/01/2019 14:49:07
28 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 04/01/2019 09:53:14:
Posted by Tim Cheal on 03/01/2019 22:25:39:

RIP BEB.

Tim

Yes and yes Tim thumbs up

Thanks David Ashby, I was hoping that's what you had in mind. You're obvioulsy better placed to do it than I would have been.

John Muir04/01/2019 20:53:38
380 forum posts
1 photos

Sad news indeed. I will miss his contributions to this forum, which won't be quite the same without him. He came across as a man of intelligence and common sense, and a generally nice guy. Condolences to his family.

Colin Leighfield04/01/2019 21:50:15
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

I have only just seen this, my eyes must have been closed. I met him at Greenacres and have exchanged with him on a number of occasions on this forum. I am so glad that I did. This is a complete shock and I regret that I won’t have the pleasure of his aquaintance again. My sincere condolences to his family.

2W05/01/2019 11:35:16
83 forum posts
18 photos

Sad, tragic news. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I never met him and I wish I had, but I followed his posts and admired his ability to defuse controversy on the forum with sound common sense and an ability to look at the bigger picture. We will all miss him.

Whom the gods love die young.

Devcon105/01/2019 11:48:07
1411 forum posts
493 photos
If the family expresses any wishes for chosen charity donations I would be grateful to hear.
Nigel Grant 105/01/2019 22:35:30
65 forum posts
10 photos

Sad news and I will miss him down here in Christchurch, New Zealand too. Always enjoyed his contribution to the forum and RCM&E. I keep some of his articles in a special folder for reference. He obviously enjoyed the social side of modelling as evidenced by the photos and stories I read of the Greenacres meets and the like and had a knack of generating some lively debate on this forum.

cymaz06/01/2019 09:10:52
9251 forum posts
1195 photos

I will make a donation, I will send it via PayPal if they choose.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!