Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Any BT or similar engineers out there

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy307/01/2019 13:11:26
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all, I am attempting to get my daughters land line re connected to enable her to have broad band. The firms in volved are Plusnet and Openreach. It was disconnected years ago when she started using a mobile. Hard to believe but after 5 attempts she still has no connection. Can any one tell me what physical work is involved in re connection. Is it only a switch in PO sub station ? The firms involved are blaming each other. I have paid plusnet £74 six weeks ago for the re connection and have been waiting seven weeks in all !!! Bad show. Could be my fault for picking cheapest option.

Percy Verance07/01/2019 13:38:19
8108 forum posts
155 photos

flyboy

I'd scrutinise the small ads in your local press to see if there are any ex bt engineers doing their own thing flyboy.

I mention this because there is one advertising in my local paper. I did use him once, to move the phone cable to a different entry point on my house. Such a person may be able to help........

I'm fortunate in that there is a private group installing superfast broadband in some of the hamlets and villages in my immediate area. They have completed several hundred connections already. As a non profit making group, they are charging a flat rate of about £120 per quarter for unlimited phonecalls and high speed broadband. I understand they have received a grant from the Local Authority to help with the cost, plus private individuals have also invested various cash sums for a return of 8% or thereabouts.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/01/2019 13:48:10

Alan Jarvis07/01/2019 13:39:02
165 forum posts
27 photos

PlusNet are owned by BT and usually have good access to Openreach which is also owned by BT. I have always found PlusNet to be very good. Normally the wiring would remain in place and just require work in the exchange however now with fibre coming to the local box it probably needs some work in there.

fly boy307/01/2019 13:56:29
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks lads. I think the problem is whoever bb you sign up to it is Openreach that does the work, and I am assume ing they have a monopoly. Ps there is no fibre in her area at the moment.  Just wondered how much work is involved.  Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 07/01/2019 13:58:29

Chris Walby07/01/2019 13:58:29
983 forum posts
231 photos

From previous experience....

BT have various departments dealing with:

1. Phone and hardware in the house
  2. Phone socket in the house
  3. Cable from house socket to connection box/hole in road
  4. Cable from box/hole in road to larger hole/box in road that goes to main switch

If the cable has been disconnected some time, then some or all of the cables have been cut/lost and you effectively have to start again from scratch.

It took us a month, 4 visits, a ground crew to dig & lay a cable and by then they had reassigned the board band connection to next door (who just happened to be an existing BT customer).

Loads of who is paying for the making good of the ground works and now unnecessary cable/hole in wall and surprise surprise there appears to be some new hardware on their side and we have a connection...

No better than their competitors in my book, but the customer care person in BT has a lot less hair now!

Martian07/01/2019 14:05:37
2217 forum posts
1091 photos

Ex BT engineer smiley a digital number is allocated this becomes available in your local exchange from here it is connected to the outgoing pair of wires ( e/side) unless it's fibre it is then available in a pcp cabinet then routed from the e/side to a d/side and on to a distribution point closest to the residence this could be underground or on a pole then via a pair of wires to the residence , at any connection point from the exchange to residence the telephone service should be available it is the BT engineer jobs to route it to the home be this via fibre or a pair of wires and terminate the connection for use . In all likelihood the wires from the dp to the residence are non serviceable and need replacing again a BT engineers job

Martian07/01/2019 14:08:39
2217 forum posts
1091 photos
Posted by Alan Jarvis on 07/01/2019 13:39:02:

PlusNet are owned by BT and usually have good access to Openreach which is also owned by BT. I have always found PlusNet to be very good. Normally the wiring would remain in place and just require work in the exchange however now with fibre coming to the local box it probably needs some work in there.

This is not always the case especially after five years part of the route may have been reused

Martian07/01/2019 14:12:28
2217 forum posts
1091 photos
Posted by fly boy3 on 07/01/2019 13:56:29:

Thanks lads. I think the problem is whoever bb you sign up to it is Openreach that does the work, and I am assume ing they have a monopoly. Ps there is no fibre in her area at the moment. Just wondered how much work is involved. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 07/01/2019 13:58:29

It's not just a monopoly BT installed all the network and own it access is given to third party providers in the exchange for their own equipment but BT are responsible for the route from the exchange to the residence

Nigel R07/01/2019 16:01:19
3060 forum posts
475 photos

"Openreach"

You're doomed.

Sorry.

fly boy307/01/2019 20:48:02
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Think you are right Nigel, what a shower lol. Cheers

Bob Burton07/01/2019 22:44:40
178 forum posts

When I had a problem with Plusnet a couple of months ago I emailed their CEO ( andy.baker@plus.net  and the problem was sorted out swiftly as was that of a decorator doing some work for us to whom I passed the above email address

Keith Sharples07/01/2019 23:09:05
127 forum posts
2 photos

Use social media, facebook and the like. Find there page and post on it , how much paid, how long been waiting, if you have been palmed off with fixed by times etc etc. It usually works, most companies don't like their dirty washing being aired on social media. My wife and I have done it a few times and what ever the problem is it's usually quickly resolved.

Nigel R07/01/2019 23:13:55
3060 forum posts
475 photos

Sorry. Bit negative there.

Although I think you're right. They are a shower. As far as us punters are concerned anyway.

Mark Woodroffe08/01/2019 07:13:49
22 forum posts
2 photos
You are right it is a real shower of **** sometimes. I am a Openreach engineer currently. The issue can be a physical network issue like no spares from DP, faulty cables underground to the cabinet or some breakdown in comms between provider and Openreach. Basically until an engineer turns up and they tell you will never know. You won't get a straight answer until that happens. Sad but true.
fly boy308/01/2019 11:11:01
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Hi Mark, it seems to be a communication problem between plus net and Open reach. We have had 4 lads turning up with various excuses, but have nor explaned a thing to us. We have been promised a £75 voucher plus a free month ,but we would like to be connected. Thanks Bob for ceo link, could be next move. Cheers

fly boy308/01/2019 11:30:53
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Update. Eng to attend tomorrow, Wed. As this will be the sixth attempt we are not holding our breath lol. Cheers

Martin Harris08/01/2019 12:05:03
8806 forum posts
215 photos

Openreach or Plusnet? Have you asked the engineer where the problem is?

Most field engineers are sympathetic to customer concerns as long as they're expressed reasonably and will do everything they can to assist in solving a problem. My biggest concern is the use of offshore call centres - with a good deal of inside information (nearly 42 years) of BT before I retired, on the thankfully rare occasions I've had problems over the years I have had to battle against scripted responses where I know an ordinary customer would have struggled - the key thing is to get in touch with a UK based customer service team (by asking for this or raising a complaint) where problems other than run of the mill business are normally resolved efficiently by people who can grasp the problem.

Get the engineer onside - don't hit him with a tirade against his company when he arrives but explain how frustrated you are and I'm sure he'll do his utmost to resolve the problem or guide you to the best way to get it resolved.

Mark Woodroffe08/01/2019 12:06:43
22 forum posts
2 photos
Oh I see you've had engineers visit. Did they say they weren't skilled. Not all engineers are skilled to work in underground network, basically all newer engineers and subcontractors. I've been on plenty of jobs where this was the case.
Gary Murphy 108/01/2019 13:51:58
378 forum posts
14 photos

Of no use to you but might be interesting.

Not long moved into a new flat,built 9 years ago. The phone line and tv aerial and sat lines are all pre installed into the walls very neat. The prior owner had the line disconnected.

I wanted to get my sky tv and land line and broad band moved here . The sky tv was moved over on the day,easy. Being no main BT phone plug box was fitted I thought probs were ahead due to the flat and wiring being 9 yreas old.

I was told regards the landline and broadband it could be done remotely from the exchange OR a engineer will have to visit the cabinet in the road. 2 days passed and the landline and fibre broadband was working!

was much easier than I thought,just shows

fly boy308/01/2019 16:54:32
3520 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all, all we wanted to have done is fit new socket (done on first visit) and re connect the disconnected phone line. The third visit seemed to be a third party, not BT or Openreach! Hi Martin I can assure you that all will be done in a gentlemanly fashion.lol. Fingers crossed. Cheers ps I think the 3rd party was called Kelly Communications.

Edited By fly boy3 on 08/01/2019 16:57:55

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us