David Mellor06/02/2019 16:01:48
1276 forum posts
611 photos

Any chance of a video, Simon?

Simon Chaddock08/02/2019 14:42:40
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

David

Just waiting for the right sort of weather. It will be slow flyer for sure and my grass field is pretty rough, soggy, grass at the moment.

I can hand launch it easy enough but it really needs pretty calm conditions (no turbulence from the surrounding big trees!) to stand a chance of achieving any sort of smooth first landing.

Now fully complete with some scale cowling details.

Carb Intake

Carb intake on top, oil cooler below.

I am having to resist hard as there are many things about it that I could do better next time! wink 2

Stephen Jones08/02/2019 19:54:37
2590 forum posts
1486 photos

Looks great Simon, thumbs up.

I know what you mean about the weather i have been waiting since Christmas to maiden 3 of my models.

Weather is terrible at the moment. sad

Steve.

Simon Chaddock11/02/2019 13:22:59
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

After a long wait almost perfect "maiden" weather this morning - it flies! and with a rare for me ROG as well!

No real problem except it needed full down trim so I left the flaps alone.wink 2 It does indeed fly 'silly slow' so the lack of flaps was no issue.

Kept reasonably high to start with but it does not seem to have a odd habits. The landing was relatively, power off glide down and just 'fly on' with no attempt to '3 point'. The soft sprung U/C certainly coped with the uneven surface.

Finally the penalty of flying from very muddy grass - well it is February!

Muddy.

Manish Chandrayan11/02/2019 13:29:54
537 forum posts
65 photos

Congratulations on the maiden. Just give the mud spray a rough wipe and they would look scale

David Mellor11/02/2019 13:41:44
1276 forum posts
611 photos

Great job - well done.

What do you make of the the full down-trim thing? Do you think it would benefit from increasing the motor down-thrust angle a touch? Would it fly even slower and on slightly less power with more down-thrust?

Toni Reynaud11/02/2019 14:59:19
375 forum posts
41 photos

Beautiful scale speed flying. Wonderful model too.

Simon Chaddock11/02/2019 15:19:58
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

Thanks - it is always satisfying to complete a maiden, particularly on a scale scratch build!

David

I am not that keen on down thrust on scale planes particularly on ones with a big radial up front!

The addition of down thrust does not directly contribute to slow flying but only by minimising any related speed/trim adjustment. The full size has no down thrust so the pilot has to manually adjust the elevator trim as appropriate. wink 2

On particularly high powered model planes a serious trim change can be compensated for by a throttle/elevator Tx mix.

For the AN2, with flaps on both wings, I am however expecting a flap/elevator mix will be required.

On a purely technical issue I am not sure down thrust actually reduces the power require to fly as it adds a 'down' component to the thrust force which requires more lift to counter. On the other hand no down thrust requires some down elevator adjustment. Six of one, half a dozen of the other?

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 11/02/2019 15:20:14

J D 811/02/2019 16:11:56
1058 forum posts
65 photos

Almost as slow as the full size.winkVery nice model.

Colin Leighfield11/02/2019 23:11:49
5714 forum posts
2359 photos

You’ve captured it Simon. Spot on.

Simon Chaddock16/02/2019 00:04:53
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

With the continued unseasonal weather the AN 2 has flown again with the elevator linkage adjusted and the battery moved forward 20 mm.

The object was to test the flaps. With full flap it made very slow progress into what was a very gentle breeze. Of course there was a huge apparent difference is speed of about 3:1 as it turned down wind! wink 2

The other factor duly tested was the break away undercarriage! An untidy landing with a noticeable cross wind gust caused the LH bracing to break cleanly away from its fuselage mountings.

UCbreak

No other damage so print another and install - simples!

This is the position of the elevator in normal 'trimmed' levle flight.

Downtrim

I don't want to move the battery any further forward as it will cause it to nose over too easily so the only alternative is to adjust the tail plane incidence a degree or two. It will require some careful 'surgery' to achieve.

I really mustn't grumble as it does fly just like it is supposed to - slowly!

Stephen Jones17/02/2019 12:00:12
2590 forum posts
1486 photos

Congrats on the Maiden, as for the undercarriage you was already prepaired for that so no disappointment their.

Steve thumbs up

Edited By Stephen Jones on 17/02/2019 12:03:33

Simon Chaddock09/03/2019 17:00:55
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

Its tail plane has been carefully cut out from the fuselage, the slot enlarged and re-glued with the leading edge raised by 2 mm.

Modtail

This brought the tail plane inline with the required down trim of the elevator . The elevator linkage has now been adjusted so neutral trim is now inline with the tail plane. Should be about right but of course the weather is now far from suitable for test flights!

The undercarriage legs have been reprinted to give a couple of degrees of toe in as pushing the AN2 forward caused the U/C to tend to 'sink' whereas moving backwards caused the opposite.

The is almost no balsa in its construction just in part of the wing struts and tail plane braces so I set about printing these as well although I have no intention of fitting them unless a crash requires it! wink 2

The printed wing strut.

PrintStrut

It is 4 mm thick, hollow with internal bracing and weighs 4.5 g

There is a small (0.8 mm) hole at the end of each "leg".

RiggingHole

This allows the rigging can be directly attached to the strut rather than the complex inserted "tabs" I used originally. Being self colour they do not have to be painted either. wink 2

The tail plane braces require a modified fuselage former so would require rather more surgery to actually fit.

TailStrut

Of course the assembly is upside down in this picture but note the use of printer filament to create the attachment pins.

These bits will be kept in the 'spare parts' bag for future use - if required!

Simon Chaddock02/04/2019 09:04:44
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

With good weather last week I managed another video. Edited (full flight was 8 minutes) showing 3 passes with increasing flap. It also includes a rather untidy loop and roll. The grass was just a bit too long and rough for a perfect landing but no damage.

Colin Leighfield02/04/2019 22:59:28
5714 forum posts
2359 photos

It looks great Simon, nice and gentle, just like the full size.

Stephen Jones03/04/2019 00:27:31
2590 forum posts
1486 photos

Very nice Simon,

With a nice gentle landing at the end.

Steve

J D 803/04/2019 08:18:09
1058 forum posts
65 photos

Having seen the full size do it's stuff, model is right there. Perhaps not the aeros but still very good.yes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us