Articles

RCM&E September 2018 issue preview

RCM&E September 2018 issue preview

On sale 3rd August 2018

John Shiell13/01/2019 08:38:58
13 forum posts
14 photos

Hi,

I remember reading about a device that provides receiver power in case of an issue with the main supply, e.g. UBEC / ESC failure. It was in the Counterpoint section of a recent RCM&E issue. I can't find it and was wondering if anyone else remembers reading it and can tell me the details.

Recent could mean a couple of years!

Thanks,

John

Chris Bott - Moderator13/01/2019 08:54:05
6543 forum posts
1358 photos
1 articles

Maybe the Optipower Ultraguard ?- **LINK**

PeterF13/01/2019 10:45:29
396 forum posts
558 photos

For higher current rating than the OptiPower, Jeti have one version for pair of ESCs or one ESC with a battery

**LINK**

and another version for a pair of batteries

**LINK**

Personally, I have made my own using schottky diodes.

Chris Bott - Moderator13/01/2019 11:06:02
6543 forum posts
1358 photos
1 articles

Here's my home made version. 2 Shottky diodes sit in the red heatshrinked package. I added an LED for each supply, a decent connector for each (XT30) and good fat PCB tracks that feed the servos direct.

img_20190113_105901__01.jpg

Martin Harris13/01/2019 12:02:46
8299 forum posts
210 photos

I'm a little curious Chris - the PCB looks professionally produced - is there an economical way of getting your own design PCBs produced or is it a modified board from elsewhere?

Allan Bennett13/01/2019 12:25:51
1478 forum posts
38 photos

There is a relatively cheap way of making your own PCBs; I make a 'negative' of the required design on my PC and print it onto sticky clear pvc, then stick that onto a piece of light-sensitized PCB that you can buy from RS Components (and probably on eBay) and expose it to UV light. The exposed board then needs to be developed so that the tracks are marked in black 'ink', and then etched to remove all copper other than the ink-covered bits. Developing and etching chemicals are probably available at RSC, though I bought my last batch from Maplins.

You can omit the printing and UV exposure bit, if you're a good artist, by drawing your design directly onto a plain copper-coated PCB using a felt-tip pen. Then develop and etch as above.

Chris Bott - Moderator13/01/2019 12:57:40
6543 forum posts
1358 photos
1 articles
Posted by Martin Harris on 13/01/2019 12:02:46:

I'm a little curious Chris - the PCB looks professionally produced - is there an economical way of getting your own design PCBs produced or is it a modified board from elsewhere?

Martin I use a web based PCB design site called **LINK**

Once a design is finished it can be passed from there to their "partner service" called jlpcb who will make 10 PCBs for you for $2 plus postage. (about another $4 or $5). It takes a couple of weeks for them to come but the quality is superb.

That's double sided, plated through and screen printed too.

You could also send jlpcb your own design files if you have them.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/01/2019 13:01:19

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Motion RC
CML
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us