By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

powered beginners glider(with wheel under fuse)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SONNY MONKS13/01/2019 13:09:36
269 forum posts

Which are a popular glider,with the description above,with a budget of around one hundred pounds,ARTF.

conrad taggart13/01/2019 13:22:43
43 forum posts

This gets good reviews and has the required wheel **LINK**

Can be purchased from Banggood or Hobbyking, HK do far better packing - double / tripled boxed

Tag

SONNY MONKS13/01/2019 13:31:11
269 forum posts

Cheers conrad.

Percy Verance13/01/2019 13:44:00
7569 forum posts
145 photos

Why must it have a wheel Sonny? I'm asking simply because at the size the model will be, the wheel may be not be too functional if you land on grass. On a larger and heavier model the concept is fine though.

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/01/2019 13:45:25

SONNY MONKS13/01/2019 13:50:18
269 forum posts

Hi Percy,i thought a wheel would be easier for landing without damaging it,or does it not make much difference?

kc13/01/2019 15:01:56
5820 forum posts
167 photos

Beware of buying expensive items from anywhere but UK or EC warehouses if you want to avoid expensive bills for import duty, VAT and handling!

Don Fry13/01/2019 15:06:41
3309 forum posts
40 photos

HobbyKing Bixler is quite capable of soaring. And it has a "proper" undercarriage.

John Duncker13/01/2019 15:10:57
73 forum posts
7 photos

Believe it or not you are more likely to get damage to the model if it has a wheel. In a heavy landing the impact forces will be concentrated on the wheel axle mounts and damage is more likely than without the wheel where it gets spread more evenly..

The only time I used a wheel was when getting aerotowed.

conrad taggart13/01/2019 20:17:26
43 forum posts

The wheel adds quite a bit of weight. Indeed I think Andrew Newton removed it from one of his models ! If you want something you can land in rough ground and that can take a bashing and fly really well then I would get one of these - either the PNP or ARF Bixler 1.1 v2 (the green one shown in the link below). All in stock and from EU or UK warehouse

**LINK**

With a rear facing prop and belly landing there are no props or landing gear to break , plus it flies better than the the Bix 3. If going for the ARF, upgrade the ESC as the suggested one which comes with the pnp is not big enough and burns out. Most of the main spare parts (fuselage and wings are available too). Indeed it is probably worth buying another ARF just for the spare parts given the price of the kit . A wing for an Apprentice 15e would cost you more than the price of entire Bixler ARF !

I have done more than a 100 flights in mine with numerous crashes but it still goes on. Indeed I can't seem to kill it !

Edited By conrad taggart on 13/01/2019 20:22:21

Edited By conrad taggart on 13/01/2019 20:24:38

Percy Verance13/01/2019 22:03:51
7569 forum posts
145 photos

I've been using my Easystar 2 to teach new flyers for 6 years or so now. I've lost count of the number of flights it has done. I built it from a kit, but used the Mpx power set. It still has the original motor/esc. It's been a really superb training model, but it wouldn't come in on Sonny's budget I'm afraid. There are now lots of Easystar clones out there, some of which are said to be good performers - the Bixler is but one of them.........although I have no experience of any of them.

Sonny

Re: John's comment above. More often than not, if there are protruding bits on the underside of models - particularly smaller models - they tend to get *wiped off* by the grass, especially longer grass.....which can really get hold when a model "arrives" at 15 mph or so....... You're probably better off without a wheel, and give the underside of the fuselage a couple of coats of the stuff which puts a tough skin on the foam.

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/01/2019 22:18:44

Piers Bowlan14/01/2019 07:10:53
1707 forum posts
41 photos

As Conrad says the Bixler is a pretty good choice as a powered beginners glider and is within budget too.

I have had a few gliders with a landing wheel and I haven't experienced any problems with them and considering the low wing loading of my gliders I cannot see that weight is an issue. Some years ago I bought a Hobbyking Fox (2.3m) which was a rebadged FMS model. Being Hobbyking there were one or two minor issues with it, which were easily sorted but then it only cost £100. The model flew beautifully and the only change I considered was fitting flaps or spoilers, as my landing area on top of the Downs was quite tight. I never got around to that however as I was too busy flying it. It not only had a main wheel but a tail wheel too so could land gracefully rather than lurching to a stop. The latest FOX V2 from FMS (£179) is thoroughly sorted and I would seriously consider buying another if it wasn't for the fact that my loft is already full of gliders, so I couldn't justify it (or could I? devil). Here is a video, there are many on uTube.

It's a bit over your budget Sonny but I think you would find it more fun than a Bixler.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/01/2019 07:34:25

Engine Doctor14/01/2019 10:25:40
2178 forum posts
20 photos

The Multiplex Easy Glider is a great introduction to thermal gliding they cost around £85 ish but do need a few extra bits and pieces to get in the air . Very tough easy to fly model , but no u/c as doesn't need one.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 14/01/2019 10:26:22

SONNY MONKS14/01/2019 18:19:36
269 forum posts

spoiled for choice,the fox by by fms,yeah,i like it piers.

conrad taggart19/01/2019 14:38:25
43 forum posts

Even more of a bargain now. You could have a full flying one and a complete plane for spares or swapping over to for £100 (which is what the price of the bits (excluding the plane) nearly come to for an almost identical Multiplex Easy Glider, which is also an excellent aircraft)

**LINK**

**LINK**

Good overview / review here

**LINK**

C

SONNY MONKS19/01/2019 18:42:59
269 forum posts

Many thanks for the links conrad,id have to send them cats back in the box the plane came in though hehe,i hate them hahaha.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us