Forum sponsored by CML

Krick Klemm or Mantua AvioModelli Fiesler Storch or neither

Next kit choice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stearman6516/01/2019 08:19:16
604 forum posts
686 photos

I'm about halfway through my WM Pilatus Porter build, which I'm enjoying, compared to the previous TF Stinson.

Like we do, I've been looking around for something to take its place when it's finished. I quite like the new (to me) laser cut technology, & the size of model around 2 m with a 2 piece wing suits my building facilities. So-

I've short listed the Krick Klemm & the Mantua Storch. Back in the day, I had a Bucker Bestman kit which could have been Krick, but not sure, just that it was a foreign kit & after mulling it over, thought it beyond my abilities & sold it on. I also flew a friends Svenson Fiesler Storch a few times, but this ended badly when our club was putting on a school display in conditions where we wouldn't normally fly & I trashed it on take off.blush. When I came back to modelling in 2004, I acquired another Svenson Storch, this time a kit. However, this wasn't to be & I sold it on when we moved house & the modelling hobby ceased yet again.

The latest Storch & Klemm look to use current laser technology & I've read a couple of reviews by buyers on other forums.

Has anyone here had either of the kits & can give an opinion. The Mantua Storch would have to be converted to electric power, the Klem is designed for electric power.

David Mellor16/01/2019 09:09:40
1231 forum posts
602 photos

Not had either of the ones you mention, but have had my eye on this 93" Storch for a while:-

**LINK**

Dave

Stearman6516/01/2019 09:29:10
604 forum posts
686 photos

Hi David

Back in the day I built the Denny Bryant Stampe, it was pretty near scale & not an easy build as I remember. All that was available in those days was the front portion of the cowl. I well remember using the sandwich method to produce the ribs. The term "you would need to buy additional strip & sheet" would put it over £200 & over the size I'm limited to. Thanks for the link but I don't think it is for me.

Regs Eric.yes

Denis Watkins16/01/2019 09:29:27
3369 forum posts
151 photos

Am lucky to initially test fly new models at the club and drew the short straw flying the Mantua Storch, due to the initial c of g

The finished model does look the business, and to my eye is a fair representation

Now the builder is very critical with kits and described this as a challenging build and he made some alterations, weakening the undercarriage with brass tube.

The u/c failed on the every landing, no matter how gentle, so steel members solved this one.

The beautiful gangly u/c needs to be strong, as landing sweeps all u/c downwards, and backwards, there is a lot of wire in the airflow to bend

The plan C of G was far too rearward by 30mm

Flying was never comfortable though it was predictable, and the model looked beautiful in the air

As with many scale type models, fly this one scale, keep the wing in an attitude that it can fly

Though landing, there was no wing dropping or misbehaviour

BTW, I am a flyer, not a builder

Stearman6516/01/2019 09:39:35
604 forum posts
686 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 16/01/2019 09:29:27:

Am lucky to initially test fly new models at the club and drew the short straw flying the Mantua Storch, due to the initial c of g

The finished model does look the business, and to my eye is a fair representation

Now the builder is very critical with kits and described this as a challenging build and he made some alterations, weakening the undercarriage with brass tube.

The u/c failed on the every landing, no matter how gentle, so steel members solved this one.

The beautiful gangly u/c needs to be strong, as landing sweeps all u/c downwards, and backwards, there is a lot of wire in the airflow to bend

The plan C of G was far too rearward by 30mm

Flying was never comfortable though it was predictable, and the model looked beautiful in the air

As with many scale type models, fly this one scale, keep the wing in an attitude that it can fly

Though landing, there was no wing dropping or misbehaviour

BTW, I am a flyer, not a builder

Thanks Denis. I read a build report on one of the American sites & the builder was complaining about the wood quality & that it was built like a boat, with a basic keel & half formers, but I discounted the comments as I have used this method & it is common in war bird construction with strip planking. Maybe he was unfamiliar with it. There is a difference in the ply used in laser cut kits & normal sheet ply & this has to be compensated for, so it didn't put me off.

BTW was it IC or electric?

Thanks again Regs Ericyes

Edited By Stearman65 on 16/01/2019 09:40:34

Denis Watkins16/01/2019 09:56:17
3369 forum posts
151 photos

OS 90 4 stroke Eric,

Don Fry16/01/2019 10:01:41
3117 forum posts
38 photos

I built the Mantua Storch back in the 90s. I get the similarities to boat building. They make 2 versions, one has a foam wing which tends to porky, one version is built up. The build of the thing was a nightmare. Just to build the fuselage top half, and bottom halves necessitated 2 custom made jigs to keep them straight. Loads of trouble for what is very much semiscale. Flew OK.

Stearman6516/01/2019 10:14:32
604 forum posts
686 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 16/01/2019 09:56:17:

OS 90 4 stroke Eric,

Thanks Denis.

Stearman6516/01/2019 10:17:04
604 forum posts
686 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 16/01/2019 10:01:41:

I built the Mantua Storch back in the 90s. I get the similarities to boat building. They make 2 versions, one has a foam wing which tends to porky, one version is built up. The build of the thing was a nightmare. Just to build the fuselage top half, and bottom halves necessitated 2 custom made jigs to keep them straight. Loads of trouble for what is very much semiscale. Flew OK.

Thanks Don

That's pushing me towards the Krick Klemm

Regs Ericyes

Chris Freeman 316/01/2019 10:42:40
140 forum posts
148 photos

Krick kits where always very nice kits and had good quality wood in them, I built the Klem 35 many years ago and managed to get another kit a few years ago and a Bestman kit that have been placed in storage for later use, I will retire one day and want enough stock to keep me busy. My son is also a modeler so he will build them if I do not get to it. Nice to see that some of the ARF manufacturers are now making some kits as I thought you would not be able to buy traditional kits the way we knew them anymore.

Don Fry16/01/2019 11:08:29
3117 forum posts
38 photos

Mine had a RCV 60, swinging a scale diameter prop, so that might give an indication of power needs for a low KV electric setup, as the RCV engine has a 2/1 reduction gearbox.

Stearman6516/01/2019 11:17:54
604 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Chris

It was the canopy construction that put me off the Bestman kit back in the day. This new Krick Klemm kit seems to have a lot going for it, in particularly it's for electric power.

Regs Eric

Stearman6516/01/2019 16:21:11
604 forum posts
686 photos

In between glue setting waiting, I surfed the net looking for possible colour schemes for the Klemm, I got the attached picture which shows the Klemm & what looks like a Ka8B in the background, what a coincidence.

1402826 klemm & ka8b.jpg

flight116/01/2019 17:12:22
569 forum posts
32 photos

There is an alternative kit 1 1/5 Klem for a .90 or electric and thay do bigger too very nice, Flugmodelle aus Holz

mind you , you will have to use google translate if your german is no good, there reputation is good , here is one finnished on you tube

very tempting

Stearman6516/01/2019 17:34:09
604 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Flight 1. The small Krick version is as large as I could go, Krick also do a larger version but it's almost an ARTF by the sound of it 600+ Euro almost 3m span & for electric power.

**LINK**

flight116/01/2019 22:27:18
569 forum posts
32 photos

yes the klemm 20/25 has a large wing span 2.6 m at 1/5 scale which is a large span for its scale, but it will fly well on a 90fs glow. you could always go for a KL35 which will have a lot less span, proberly still to big for your needs

Stearman6516/01/2019 22:52:59
604 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Again Flight1.

I'm 75% certain it will be the Krick Klemm L25D, which at just over 6ft is as big as I want to go. Just need to get shut of the big box in the corner containing the unstarted artf, which looks like it will be sold Sunday?

Kevan Gillings 217/01/2019 12:21:00
22 forum posts

Hi, I have a Krick Klem electric,I fitted a 300 watt motor on 3cell 1800 mah LiPo,it fly's very well and looks good in the air.The kit was of very good quality and nice to build.It is the oldest model I have, and I have decided to sell it on while it is in good condition and have put it on the BMFA classified site, surprisingly I have had no interest in it, may be people do not know the aircraft !!! Do they all want foamy warbirds ?

Stearman6517/01/2019 12:42:24
604 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Kevan

Saw your add on the BMFA site. IMO you need to put more detail, if it is complete with the electrics? If I remember it just says servos? Why not put it on here? I have had a few things on here, but the best response I find is Ebay, but also use Gumtree, Preloved, & Craigs list.

I just ordered the kit this morning & it's being delivered tomorrow. I ordered a kit as I want to build it, I'm old school & prefer to build things myself. I have had a couple of ARTFs & one for sale at the moment, but you can't beat knowing how it's built. Hope you can sell it.

Regs Eric.

Kevan Gillings 217/01/2019 13:04:08
22 forum posts

Hi, advert does say, motor, ECS and servos. I did not think that this forum is for adverts just discussion ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us