Forum sponsored by CML

Dancing Wings Hobby "Fiesler Storch Kit"

Review Purchase & Assembly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stearman6523/01/2019 14:59:42
769 forum posts
893 photos

While I was researching whether to buy the Krick Klemm or a Fiesler Storch I came across this kit on Banggood.com's site. I initially dismissed it as it was too small at 1600mm, but it stayed in my sub-concious. Since the Klemm was delivered, I've been back to look at a couple of times, looked at it on DWH's site & found it on Amazon.com.

I weighed up the costs from the three sources BG being the least expensive. So after thinking about it overnight, I ordered one this morning & I think 6 servos, but it may be only 1, I'll see when it comes.

fs12.jpg

fs11.jpg

fs10.jpg

fs9.jpg

fs8.jpg

fs7.jpg

fs5.jpg

fs4.jpg

fs3.jpg

fs2.jpg

fs1.jpg.

kc23/01/2019 15:35:31
5926 forum posts
168 photos

The snag with buying expensive items from Banggood in China is that the customs duty,VAT and handling charges can put the cost up a lot. I hope you are luckier than some people have been.

129euros from France would seem a better deal.......

Stearman6523/01/2019 15:56:50
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by kc on 23/01/2019 15:35:31:

The snag with buying expensive items from Banggood in China is that the customs duty,VAT and handling charges can put the cost up a lot. I hope you are luckier than some people have been.

129euros from France would seem a better deal.......

Hi KC

Banggood have what they call an EU warehouse, similar to HK. I bought a soldering aid from them before Christmas & that didn't attract any duty. You can also tick a box to delete their name from the packing. If I do get hit, ah well, we'll all get hit after March 29th, so it seems.

kc23/01/2019 16:10:09
5926 forum posts
168 photos

Small items ( up to around 14 pounds I think ) don't seem to attract duty but larger items do. This item said it ships from CN warehouse -presumably this means it comes from China not UK or EC.

Stearman6523/01/2019 16:33:05
769 forum posts
893 photos

Did you select the EU warehouse before searching for the kit? When I first decided to order it I used the CN site, put one in the basket, then found the EU site & the basket was empty so I searched again found it & added it & the servo/s & paid by PP.

kc23/01/2019 18:03:14
5926 forum posts
168 photos

I still have not managed to find the Fiesler on the EU website, I could find other planes but not any of the Dancing Wing ones. But if you found it thats what matters. I hope they ship it to you OK and look forward to hearing what you think of the kit. Looks interesting as does the Cloud Dancer etc.

Stearman6523/01/2019 20:59:52
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by kc on 23/01/2019 18:03:14:

I still have not managed to find the Fiesler on the EU website, I could find other planes but not any of the Dancing Wing ones. But if you found it thats what matters. I hope they ship it to you OK and look forward to hearing what you think of the kit. Looks interesting as does the Cloud Dancer etc.

Just had another look & it may be coming from China via the EU site. I paid £7 extra for the medium delivery 14 days, but it looks like I could be getting 6 servos for £11? Had a look on Dancing Wings Hobby's site & it isn't on there?

**LINK**

Edited By Stearman65 on 23/01/2019 21:00:41

Stearman6524/01/2019 07:42:03
769 forum posts
893 photos

Update. Checked my Emails this morning, three from Banggood, two telling me the Storch is on the wing from wherever, & advising me I was now a VIP customer with many points & more offers than M&S & their Sparks card, & 1 from DWHobbies formerly Dancing Wings Hobby, entreating me to buy from Amazon.com (USA) at $192 & free shipping, & assuring me there would be no duty or tax (how do they do that?).

That price is a £47 hike at today's exchange rate from what I got it from BG for. Wish I'd ordered the motor & ESC & the eight servos BG were offering.

**LINK**

stu knowles24/01/2019 08:25:54
560 forum posts
44 photos

It might be an illusion but the rear fus and tailplane/fin look a bit heavy to me.

Depends what they have been cut from but if the usual poplar ply I think a bit over engineered?

Sincerely hope that it turns out right. - at worst you can always sub with balsa

Stearman6524/01/2019 09:34:16
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by stu knowles on 24/01/2019 08:25:54:

It might be an illusion but the rear fus and tailplane/fin look a bit heavy to me.

Depends what they have been cut from but if the usual poplar ply I think a bit over engineered?

Sincerely hope that it turns out right. - at worst you can always sub with balsa

Hi Stu I had a look on Youtube last night for Dancing Wings, couldn't find the Storch, but there was a build thread for their DR1. It's long & boring & I only managed a skim through to the 4th episode, but it looks like it was a mixture of ply & balsa. My World Models Pilatus has balsa tail end & possibly, all these kits are produced in the same place? We'll see, what I thought was ott were the supports for the tailplane & fin. The link to the DR1 build thread is here, it is very boring.

Incidentally, I ordered the motor, ESC & 4 more servos this morning, £36 delivered!!!

**LINK**

Martyn K24/01/2019 10:28:55
4857 forum posts
3538 photos
That looks like a great kit. Following
Stearman6524/01/2019 10:43:06
769 forum posts
893 photos

Hi Martyn K

It may be a while before I get around to this one, I'm 75% through the Pilatus, depends how long I take to finish that, then I've got the Klemm to start. However, there's always a however, if the Storch arrives before I finish the Pilatus, & depending on the build, I may leapfrog to the Storch. The Klemm, although well prefabricated will take much longer having read the comic.

Edited By Stearman65 on 24/01/2019 10:43:37

Geoff Sleath24/01/2019 11:03:19
3272 forum posts
251 photos

I bought a couple of 4S 4AH LiPos from Banggood a couple of months ago and they arrived with no problems at all with no duty or VAT. I've been buying Floureon LiPos via eBay which I've found to perform very well but they weren't listing 4S 4AH hence my resorting to BB. I've never been charged duty/VAT on any Chinese goods though I'd be happy to pay if the method of doing so was fair and easy and without excessive COD charges.

I quite like the Storch. It's ugly enough to have a certain attraction. If the similarly sourced Tiger Moth is anything to go by then it will build into a reasonable model but may need a little creative modification. Tim Hooper's Tiggie turned out OK after he'd sprinkled a little of his magic dust over it

Let us know what the kit's like Stearman

Geoff

Stearman6524/01/2019 11:16:23
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 24/01/2019 11:03:19:

I quite like the Storch. It's ugly enough to have a certain attraction.

Let us know what the kit's like Stearman

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I know what you mean, maybe that's what attracted me to the Pilatus, which I think is in the same category. As soon as it arrives I will give it the once over & report back.

Regs Eric.

Stearman6524/01/2019 20:56:44
769 forum posts
893 photos

While I was looking for a colour scheme I came across a Storch that looked like a dessert scheme, I searched for the reg' no & what came up was a microsoft flight simulator!!!

**LINK**

23113-fi156-hb-ikazip-1-2.jpg

Stearman6525/01/2019 07:38:55
769 forum posts
893 photos

Woke up early this morning & there was an email in my in box from Dancing Wings Hobby in China. When I was researching the kit, there was a link on BGG's site for a PDF manual, but it wouldn't work. So I emailed DWH & asked if they could supply one. They replied with a document that wasn't a PDF file & when opened in word pad, was just a string of Chinese characters. So I politely replied & asked again for a PDF file, this mornings email had a PDF attached. Now the Pilatus from World Models I'm building, the manual has 20 pages & isn't bad even if the aforementioned numbering system isn't logical. This one has only 8 pages & very brief descriptions. So to fill in some time before breakfast, I've screen shot the first 2 pages which are below. I will do the rest later as I will probably use them to supplement the manual when I come to build it.

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF manual, PM me your email address & I'll send you a copy.

fm1.jpg

fm2.jpg

fm3.jpg

fm4.jpg

fm5.jpg

fm6.jpg

Stearman6506/02/2019 22:32:54
769 forum posts
893 photos

Just settling down to a boring TV evening & our bell rings, it was a carrier with a delivery.

Looked at the label, I knew it wasn't the Fieseler kit, it was the second part of my Banggood order, 4 micro servos, speed controller & a motor. Ordered 24th Dec'. Just the kit & another 6 servos to come. The tracker says the kit arrived in the UK 2 days ago & was awaiting customs clearance. Today's package had no duty or extra charges, don't know how they do it?

fs13.jpg

fs14.jpg

Stearman6507/02/2019 07:44:40
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Stearman65 on 06/02/2019 22:32:54:

Just settling down to a boring TV evening & our bell rings, it was a carrier with a delivery.

Looked at the label, I knew it wasn't the Fieseler kit, it was the second part of my Banggood order, 4 micro servos, speed controller & a motor. Ordered 24th Dec'. Just the kit & another 6 servos to come. The tracker says the kit arrived in the UK 2 days ago & was awaiting customs clearance. Today's package had no duty or extra charges, don't know how they do it?

fs13.jpg

fs14.jpg

The date should read 24th January 2019 orderedblush well it was late when I posted this.

onetenor07/02/2019 09:28:23
1900 forum posts

I ordered some props on special offer for 1p Yes one penny From HK When delivered the grey card came first, Not knowing what it was I paid the charge. £13:01 imagine my shock when it was the props.. All attempts to recover the charges have been thwarted. Been passed from pillar to post. Not this section being the usual stock reply.. I've given up all hopes of recovery now. BTW I always thought CN was Canada Never thought of China Humph.

Edited By onetenor on 07/02/2019 09:37:53

Stearman6507/02/2019 09:36:41
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by onetenor on 07/02/2019 09:28:23:

BTW I always thought CN was Canada Never thought of China Humph.

According to the web site info on my orders, they originated in China, however according to the tracking info, they started out from Singapore. I've been caned twice with stuff from the USA, I think it depends on the carrier. US Postal Service seem the best from the US. My order is coming via EMS which ends up with Parcelforce in the UK. The kit has been in the UK since 4th Feb!!!sad

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us