Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Repairs to a Black Horse Blade.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Braddock, VC25/01/2019 14:46:01
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Bought a used airframe from a local modeller, ready to fly except for a receiver, it was said to have an eneloop battery installed but, when I looked, it was a futaba nicad,

I only use 2 cell life batteries nowadays so it wasn't a big issue.

It came with a 46 Ax so I was well pleased.

I installed my 1100mAh life battery and orange 3axis faast receiver and had 3 or 4 flights with it.

Second time I took it flying, after ensuring the gyro was switched off, took off and for a few minutes everything is good then, suddenly, the model started gyrating all over the place. At first I thought I'd switched the gyro on but I hadn't.

I managed to get it down in the long grass where the plastic bolts holding the u/c on sheared and it looked like the wing snapped right in the centre. Popped it in my storage and I've just come back to it after a month to sort the repairs.

One of the wing retaining bolts torn out and the retaining plate pulled out of the fuse.

I was amazed to find that the wings weren't securely glued together at the root, should be a pic nearby showing the level of glue, the only place where it was holding toimg_0002.jpggether was the front lug that fits into a slot in the fuse.

You can see where the glue had been touching.

The trailing edge in way of the wing retaining bolt was of the extremely soft balsa and in many pieces.

I cut around the broken bits and shaped a piece of hard trailing edge stock as a filler then glued those in. I have yet to sand these and coat with balsa loc before sticking the film back down.

img_0004.jpg

img_0003.jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 25/01/2019 15:02:51

Braddock, VC25/01/2019 14:54:21
1633 forum posts
82 photos

img_0005.jpg

Braddock, VC25/01/2019 14:58:58
1633 forum posts
82 photos

As can be seen in the pic above I shaped a piece of 6mm marine ply and installed it into the original slots with gorilla glue pu glue, I'll let this dry for 24 hours then reinforce with some triangle section then drill the holes for the bolts.

FWIW the rx has performed faultlessly in another model since the problem so I can only assume the wing unravelled itself (for want of a better word) in flight.

IIRC this occurred shortly after an outside loop.

Caveat emptor!

Braddock, VC26/01/2019 16:41:19
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Sorry to bore all you out there in webland, finishing off the blade today and checking the throttle throws when the servos went haywire.

Had to cut a bit of a former out to get the switch out as I noticed some insulation tape wrapped around one of the leads.

Here's what was under the tape

img_0007.jpg

Braddock, VC26/01/2019 16:43:54
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Ten minutes later, all soldered up and three layers of shrink tube applied.

img_0011.jpg

Just a pic to show my method of twisting the wire then soldering it.

img_0008.jpg

Braddock, VC26/01/2019 17:09:04
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Did a bit of chicken counting before they got hatched there, not only was the wire at fault but the in socket to the switch had seen better days, old switch dumped and new one fitted. Ho Hum.

Weather looks horrid tomorrow, so it won't be flying for some time now.

All in all I'm pleased I actually got the plane down in a repairable state, normally I give up the ghost with second hand artfs but I like this one.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 26/01/2019 17:12:27

GrahamWh26/01/2019 17:46:56
356 forum posts
53 photos

It'll be satisfying to get it flying again no doubt. Like you I use 2 cell LiFes most of the time now - how much of a pain it was having to top up leaky old NiMH batteries!

Weather's pretty bad here in Lancashire too - my Bristol Scout has only had 4 flights and I want to get it going again, and now have a second hand Flair Fokker D7 to try out too.

Braddock, VC27/01/2019 00:22:38
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Yes I am looking forward to flying it.

As I mentioned above, I have a 3 axis receiver installed and, hopefully, I'm going to make use of it to ascertain if this model will take on cross winds etc.

Graham, you'll love the D7, I have one with damaged interplane struts that I've been promising myself I'll repair since about 2009, I have 3 more planes to fettle, my Junior 60 which is destined for SAM35 pylon racing and now just needs recovering, a sig 1/5 scale clipped wing cub that needs the cabin beefing up and a 1/4 scale cw cub that needs recovering and some new wood then it'll be the D7.

I fitted a laser 80 in my d7, it'll actually knife edge and doesn't seem too bothered by the wind if my memory serves me well.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us