Forum sponsored by CML

Mini Tyro Tailplane

Fazed!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kit Durham26/01/2019 17:35:40
9 forum posts

Hi all

Am building a Mini Tyro and am not confident over the tailplane. It appears that the whole thing has to be sanded to the correct profile and I am not at all sure how to do this.

I wonder if anyone else has perhaps made up a set of ribs instead?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris Bott - Moderator26/01/2019 17:52:31
6619 forum posts
1372 photos
1 articles

Have a look here, Kit.

It was a long time ago but I don't remember too many problems. I'd think - just go at it carefully and take your time.

Kit Durham26/01/2019 18:59:13
9 forum posts

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/01/2019 17:52:31:

Have a look here, Kit.

It was a long time ago but I don't remember too many problems. I'd think - just go at it carefully and take your time.

Wow, great thread, so many neat ideas.

Many thanks.

Percy Verance26/01/2019 19:04:19
7927 forum posts
152 photos

Hi Kit ( great name for a model plane builder)

If it's the same type of construction as the standard Tyro, then the "ribs" are simply strips of balsa, glued at pre-determined positions on the tailplane and sanded to nothing at the leading edge, and sanded to the elevator thickness at the trailing edge. It's much more straightforward than it sounds, and isn't in the least bit daunting. Use fairly soft strips of balsa for the "ribs" and you'll find it takes just a few strokes of the sander to get each one to the right profile. They don't need to be micrometer accurate, but just be sure to check for any protruding bits before you cover the model.

Arm yourself with a Perma Grit sanding strip, and it'll turn the job into a pleasure..........There is a Perma Grit sander lying on the wing in the photos in the link to the thread Chris has posted. If you're going to build models, you need Perma Grit tools!

You couldn't really make a set of ribs up first Kit, because the thin ends would be far too delicate to handle. It's a job that is far easier done after they are glued in place.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:17:25

Kit Durham26/01/2019 19:17:45
9 forum posts

PercyPosted by Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:04:19:

Hi Kit ( great name for a model plane builder)

If it's the same type of construction as the standard Tyro, then the "ribs" are simply strips of balsa, glued at pre-determined positions on the tailplane and sanded to nothing at the leading edge, and sanded to the elevator thickness at the trailing edge. In the middle where they meet the tailplane spar, they'll be the same thickness as the spar. It's much more straightforward than it sounds, and isn't in the least bit daunting. Use fairly soft strips of balsa for the "ribs" and you'll find it takes just a few strokes of the sander to get each one to the right profile. They don't need to be micrometer accurate, but just be sure to check for any protruding bits before you cover the model.

Arm yourself with a Perma Grit sanding strip, and it'll turn the job into a pleasure..........

You couldn't really make a of ribs up first Kit, because the thin ends would be far too delicate to handle. It's a job that is far easier done after they are glued in place.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:06:21

Hi Percy

Thanks for the advice, I have a better 'picture' of the process now.

Percy Verance26/01/2019 19:26:29
7927 forum posts
152 photos

Kit

Over the years I must have worked my way through a dozen or more DB designs, both kits and plans, and they all have very similar construction. They all fly well too...... In fact the model in my header photo is a DB Moth 40, which I built in 1990.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:33:29

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us