Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Derek Piggott Modeller, Pilot R.I.P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tomtom3901/02/2019 14:50:33
681 forum posts
1 photos

I was very saddened to read in today's obituary column of the Times that my old Gliding Instructor had passed away at the age of 96. In addition to being a renowned pilot He was an avid modeller and an excellent author of books on Flying and Gliding . Rest in peace Derek.

The following is from the BGA's website.

If merely judged on the 154 types of powered aircraft and 170 types of glider that he had flown, Derek Piggott, who passed away a few days ago aged 96, can be rated as a remarkable pilot. If it had wings, he flew it: from the Bristol Boxkite to four-engined bombers and jets. However Derek Piggott is best known throughout the world as a glider pilot and instructor. While working as a stunt pilot for films, he probably exceeded the nine lives traditionally attributed to cats, surviving through his flying skills and an ability to think quickly under pressure.

Derek was regarded as a warm person, keenly interested in anyone who wanted to fly. He took immense trouble with his pupils and had huge patience in diagnosing faults and explaining techniques. In 1987 Derek Piggott was awarded the MBE for services to gliding. In 2007 the Royal Aero Club awarded him their Gold Medal – the highest award for aviation in the UK. Also in 2007 the Royal Aeronautical Society appointed Derek Piggott an Honorary Companion of the Society. In 2008 he was awarded the Lilienthal Gliding Medal by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale for outstanding service over many years to the sport of gliding. He continued flying up to his 90th birthday, and regularly thereafter but no longer as pilot in command. He was fiercely independent, still drove and visited (and flew) recently at Lasham

kc01/02/2019 16:15:41
5922 forum posts
168 photos

The latest BMFA News has some more info about his aeromodelling activities.

Tomtom3901/02/2019 16:23:52
681 forum posts
1 photos

Assume in the Feb copy? (mine not delivered yet)

Edited By Tomtom39 on 01/02/2019 16:24:03

Geoff Sleath01/02/2019 16:54:44
3269 forum posts
251 photos

I bought his book 'Gliding' when I dabbled in full size aviation in the early 90s. In fact it's on the shelf over my desk as I write.

It's always sad when a renowned person dies but Derek Piggot's life was a rewarding one and at 96 it's good to celebrate his life as well as mourn his death.

Geoff

Peter Jenkins01/02/2019 19:02:06
1216 forum posts
132 photos

DP taught me filed landing techniques in a Motor Falke before my first cross country. What a great instructor he was. I always remember his advice about watching an aircraft land. You might see an accident and learn something from it were his wise words. Ain't that the truth with model aircraft arrivals?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us