Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

OS 46 PROPELLER query

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nickb20/10/2008 16:10:00
5 forum posts

Hi All,

I am finishing my wot trainer aircraft and seem to be having difficuilty with my OS 46 engine. My queries are:

1) Which direction should the propeller be fitted. Its a GF Series three and think the writing should be facing towards me when mounted. Is this correct?

2) I have purchased a spinner so that i can use an electic starter. How is the spinner mounted as there werent any locking nuts with it or the engine. When i last attached it last, it came off when starting.

3) In addition we had trouble starting the engine following ALL the instructions. I have corrected an issue with the glowplug and turned the priming value 1.5 turns. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Look forward to receieving any advice for this new beginner!!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Ernie20/10/2008 16:48:00
2511 forum posts
20 photos

OK Nick

The propeller has a flat side, and a curved one (like a wing) The curved side goes to the front.

It's difficult to advise on the spinner, 'cos there are different fixing systems. Give us a description.. The most common type you put the prop on the engine first, then slip the spinner over (you might have to file around openings for the prop, so that the prop does not touch he spinner) then the metal washer and the prop nut. The front piece of the spinner is then fixed with two self tapping screws.

The instructions are, of course the answer to starting an engine..Check the glowplug by taking it out of the engine, and energising it..It should glow red...I.5 turns seems very few, I normally start around 3

1   WITHOUT ENERGISER ATTACHED throttle open..finger over intake..5 turns to draw fuel into engine..You should see it moving through the supply  tube                                                                                   

2   Close throttle to about 25% attach energiser..slowly turn the engine over..you should feel a definate bump as the fuel in the cylinder fires

3   Apply starter, or to be cool, a positive flick

ernie

flytilbroke20/10/2008 16:59:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos

HI Nick, how about going to see any club near to you. You will likely get a lot of much more direct and helpfull advise as you do seem to be a beginer.

Propeller writing faces forward. Depends on the type of spinner how it is fitted, bothe common types will likely need carsfull carviing of the propeller cutouts, you do not want the propeller to touch the sides or top of the cutouts. Most common type spinner first which has the cutouts on the base. Spinner type 2/ has a flat base with the cutouts on the pointy bit.

Spinner type 1/   Propeller, spinner base, big washer, retaining nut, pointy bit held on by supplied screws.

Spinner type 2/   Base, propeller, big washer, retaining nut, pointy bit held on by supplied screws.

Both require the retaining nut to be TIGHT.

New Engine? Open the main needle valve TWO turns, without putting the glow start on open the throttle full, cover the carb top with thumb or finger, turn the propeller clockwise six or seven times to get fuel and lubrication through it. You should be able to feel it moving just a bit easier. Close throttle except for just a little bit open, about two millimeters, put glow start on the glow plug, carefully use starter, mindfull to restrain the plane so that it does not move forward  and STAY CLEAR of the propeller, it tuns into a meat slicer. Follow the running in procedure.

flytilbroke20/10/2008 17:20:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos

Just seen Ernies` post, says much the same as mine. One thing though, the engine could start with Ernies` method of "turn the Engine over". Mind the meat slicer.

Sorry Ernie, Newbie can easily get hurt looking for the "bump".

Ernie20/10/2008 17:22:00
2511 forum posts
20 photos

Hey Flytilbroke,can't get much closer than that

ernie

Ernie20/10/2008 17:35:00
2511 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Flytillbroke and Nick    

Never yet been hurt with the 'bump' and  I do like to have the confidence  that all is ready to go. Of course, safety comes first, and  the advice 'join a club' is best of all. The experienced guys will all be bumping away (do I get ereased for that)

ernie

Nickb20/10/2008 17:52:00
5 forum posts

Hi Both, 

Thanks for the advice. I have just left a message with my club so am awaiting there call and assistance!! May just wait to see if someone there would give it a once over as also having dffiuciulty balancing it and need advice from them on tuition as well which hopefully they should assist?! Youre both correct its certainly not a toy but a serious bit of kit!

This is a great site though and all in the rc flying scene are extremely helpful. Many thanks again!

Myron Beaumont20/10/2008 18:07:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Wholeheartedly agree with y'all nearly .  started on my own with small diesels & still prefer flying alone  .

Depends on how self -motivated you are but with wires(maybe ) from your glow plug & starter & not being used to a whizzing prop & presumably your throttle settings etc I would say DEFINATELY seek assistance otherwise you might have to take up a hobby that doesnt require the use of all your digits.

I'm NOT joking .I'm sure others will agree . Its so easy to make mistakes when your mind is full of flying for the first time & try as hard as you like -being presented with several unknowns all at once is a sure recipe for disaster for a beginner . I am sounding like a nanny state type of person I think but dont forget that the only reason Im writing this is so that you dont have a mishap .In other words -Welcome to the finest hobby on the planet and enjoy it to the full after a proper initiation .Too many have fallen by the way side but then again -THEY didnt have our forum

Mike Stevens20/10/2008 19:26:00
463 forum posts
57 photos

I would agree with Myron and others - I started  playing with diesels when I was 12 or 13 years old and have come back to the hobby some35 years later and have the upmost respect when playing with IC engines and propellors. (I no w know that I am mortal)  If this is your first dabble with I/C and flying generally definitely ask for assistance from someone with some knowledge.

Mike

Nickb20/10/2008 21:24:00
5 forum posts

Hi All, advice taken and will await the experts at the club!! I need to tame my enthuiasum!

Thanks again Nick

James Channon21/10/2008 15:18:00
3 forum posts
Hello buddy i got one of them os 46 motors when you look at the carb on the front ther is a little hole about the same sise of a pin if you put a pin in there and wind the bottom end screw in until it clamps it then losen it so you can pull the pin out you sholdnt have a prolem starting it cheers james

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us