Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Flitetest Kit Builds

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RC Plane Flyer03/02/2019 11:16:33
654 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Forum Members Decided to have a go at a Flitetest Edge540 build during this later end of winter weather. Watched the hour video where the person is using the hot glue gun, but it has been recommended somewhere the UHU por may be better solution but obviously longer build time. Any previous builders on hand ??

Plummet03/02/2019 11:42:00
1403 forum posts
41 photos

Hello,

I am sitting here looking at a Flitetest Mini-Sportster that is awaiting maiden flights.

I did build it using the advised hot-glue and although I usually dislike hot-glue it did seem to work quite well.

The hot glue was used not only for sticking bits together, but also for reinforcing control surfaces hinges and for strengthening edges of the foam board. I do not think that POR would be as good for these tasks. Others may say otherwise.

My model looks a real mess because I made a bleeping bad job of painting it. I am learning to use an airbrush. I had a real problem with paint adhesion - masking tape would lift the paint.

The advice to decorate the model before you build it is good!

The only real problem I had was that the ESC supplied in the recommended power pack died on me and I had the problem of diagnosing just what had died. The routing of the motor wires requires sharp bends close to the motor and I was unsure whether it was a sick motor or ESC. The BEC part of the ESC was still working, just the motor turny-roundy bit was faulty.

Plummet

RC Plane Flyer03/02/2019 11:56:11
654 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Plummet Thank you for the Hot Glue confirmation it looks like its an indoor worktop job as using Hot Glue in garage this weather will be a no no, as hot glue it will not stay as pliable for long as some of the joints are quite big and tricky

Dad_flyer03/02/2019 13:24:29
157 forum posts
170 photos
I made the Flitetest Simple Storch as a quick route back after a crash before Christmas. The hot melt glue method works very well, and as plummet says it does edge reinforcing as well as joints. Take the build video advice on having a well-powered glue gun and plenty of long glue sticks ready.
You are probably right that the shed will be too cold. The build will be quick and pretty clean, so will not cause too much distruption in the house.
gliggsy03/02/2019 18:19:03
96 forum posts
4 photos

Just recently built the edge and had a dozen flights before the Xmas , used the hot glue and didn't have a problem although,like you, I was thinking that the glue would set before I had the chance to complete the joint, it was never a problem once the glue got up to working temperature. The motor mount isn't substantial enough, you need to beef up this area, evidently the waxed paper is a pig to paint and there isn't much that will adhere, I have bullet tape on mine in red bull blue n red but no graphics. The flying characteristics....... One of my most forgiving aeroplanes in the hanger, takes off easily and straight as an arrow, will perform 3D and aerobatics easily, tracks straight and inverted is a piece of cake even for me! 2200 mah 3 cell and a park 450 motor, can't remember prop size but will check and update......glyn

gliggsy03/02/2019 18:27:08
96 forum posts
4 photos

Also, see here https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=140118 . A good read

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us